Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3230839 times)

Yada

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4606 on: June 04, 2014, 12:37:54 am »

the hookup from sweetcell. seriously sexy box, you guys.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4607 on: June 05, 2014, 04:07:36 pm »
via hoya's FB page: lol

THE SILVER BULLET DIARY
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/the-silver-bullet-diary
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4608 on: June 06, 2014, 10:02:03 pm »
the hookup from sweetcell.

the reply from wizzle:

fred!!!

and the dissident: the first sour that really got me excited, thanks to Mr. Ford several moons ago.  can't wait to try it again.

the cellar just got a hell of a lot weight... thanks steve!

(full disclosure: one Parabola will be passed on to a mutual friend... maybe)
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #4609 on: June 06, 2014, 10:13:57 pm »
cameo appearance by saltine crackers.

fremont's the brother might steal the show in that package, depending on how well it held up. 

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4610 on: June 06, 2014, 10:25:01 pm »
Sorry to thread jack, but this is awesome and if anyone wants to do an amaro/vermouth/cordial swap with me, pls PM.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #4611 on: June 09, 2014, 12:48:19 pm »
We headed out to Shenandoah this past weekend for some hiking and camping (twice I had to pull off ticks that were crawling up my leg and also found a few more in my tent in the morning...fun, fun) and quite naturally had to check out a couple of breweries on the route.

Saturday we stopped at Heritage Brewing in Manassas. www.heritagebrewing.com My wife was very enthusiastic about them, and I though they were solid. Eight beers on draft, and I'd say five of them were winners. Looks like they may have a barrel aging program in the works.

Sunday we stopped at Old Busthead in Warrenton. www.oldbusthead.com My wife and I both agreed the four beers they had on draft were all pretty weak. Their IPA was so bad that I enjoyed their pilsner more (something that would generally never happen). One of the women pouring beer squinted and read my DC Brau t-shirt and commented that she "never heard of them". Really? Really? You're less than 50 miles from DC Brau and you're working at a brewery and you've never heard of DC Brau? She had to be someone's mom just helping out on a Sunday..

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4612 on: June 09, 2014, 01:52:28 pm »
ticks are bad this year.  so is beer.  stop drinking it.

atomic

« Reply #4613 on: June 09, 2014, 02:31:40 pm »
We headed out to Shenandoah this past weekend for some hiking and camping (twice I had to pull off ticks that were crawling up my leg and also found a few more in my tent in the morning...fun, fun) and quite naturally had to check out a couple of breweries on the route.

Saturday we stopped at Heritage Brewing in Manassas. www.heritagebrewing.com My wife was very enthusiastic about them, and I though they were solid. Eight beers on draft, and I'd say five of them were winners. Looks like they may have a barrel aging program in the works.

Sunday we stopped at Old Busthead in Warrenton. www.oldbusthead.com My wife and I both agreed the four beers they had on draft were all pretty weak. Their IPA was so bad that I enjoyed their pilsner more (something that would generally never happen). One of the women pouring beer squinted and read my DC Brau t-shirt and commented that she "never heard of them". Really? Really? You're less than 50 miles from DC Brau and you're working at a brewery and you've never heard of DC Brau? She had to be someone's mom just helping out on a Sunday..

DC Brau isn't a well known brewery.   

Yada

« Reply #4614 on: June 09, 2014, 02:32:23 pm »
I'll second that, ticks are all over the place this year.

I have high hopes friends... and nice to see they're only focusing on a handful of beers vs. 30 when they open.

http://dc.eater.com/archives/2014/06/09/bbq-bus-to-open-restaurant-at-denizens-brewery.php

Yada

« Reply #4615 on: June 09, 2014, 02:33:21 pm »

I would say you're quite wrong atomic. It is most likely the most well known of the many mediocre local breweries.

atomic

« Reply #4616 on: June 09, 2014, 02:38:24 pm »

I would say you're quite wrong atomic. It is most likely the most well known of the many mediocre local breweries.

Not really.  If you go my local beer store that has 100's of german and belgium beers plus just about any beer that distributes they only have 3 beers from DC Brau and it is a small section.  Even that place in Frederick that has the brew pub has a huge display.    Flying Dog and Heavy Seas are both more known and have a lot more brews.  I have never seen any place in Baltimore carry it on tap and Union Craft, Heavy Seas, and Flying Dog is in almost every bar.   You see none at O's games.  DC Brau might be big in DC but no one drinks it in Baltimore 40 miles away.

James Ford

« Reply #4617 on: June 09, 2014, 02:49:37 pm »
I repeat, the brewery was in Warrenton VA, not Baltimore. And the person in question was a brewery employee, not a craft beer newbie on a music message board.

Not really.  If you go my local beer store that has 100's of german and belgium beers plus just about any beer that distributes they only have 3 beers from DC Brau and it is a small section.  Even that place in Frederick that has the brew pub has a huge display.    Flying Dog and Heavy Seas are both more known and have a lot more brews.  I have never seen any place in Baltimore carry it on tap and Union Craft, Heavy Seas, and Flying Dog is in almost every bar.   You see none at O's games.  DC Brau might be big in DC but no one drinks it in Baltimore 40 miles away.

atomic

« Reply #4618 on: June 09, 2014, 02:58:36 pm »
I repeat, the brewery was in Warrenton VA, not Baltimore. And the person in question was a brewery employee, not a craft beer newbie on a music message board.

Who is the craft newbie? You? 

James Ford

« Reply #4619 on: June 09, 2014, 03:19:35 pm »
I'm going to Colorado next month and will be visiting these breweries (or as many as my daughter will allow me, lol):

New Belgium
Great Divide
Avery
Oskar Blues
Epic

Odell
Crooked Stave
Funkwerks
Dry Dock
River North
Station 26
Prost
Copper Kettle
Comrade

I'm guessing you maybe are familiar with only the first five? If you are familiar with at least eight or nine of them, then indeed you are probably not a craft beer newbie, and I have totally mislabeled you.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a craft beer newbie, I know plenty of people who are, and they are all fine people.

Who is the craft newbie? You?