Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1176721 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #3780 on: September 03, 2014, 05:15:46 pm »
OMG FACEBOOK IS BACK NOW I CAN LIVE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #3781 on: September 04, 2014, 09:08:37 pm »
Care to elaborate?
Sure. How many American soldiers and foreign civilians do you think is acceptable collateral damage to avenge one reporter's death?

The US is not the world's police. ISIS has, literally, no effect on the general American's life. It's the very definition of "not our problem." It is a catastrophic waste of life and money to go deal with some nuts who are taking part in a religious uprising in another country.

Should we go into the DPRK next? Hundreds of thousands more people are being killed and repressed there than in ISIS controlled territories. Should we go into Columbia? I mean, at some point, you just have to go "this has nothing to do with us." I'm sad a journalist was murdered but I don't think the appropriate response is a multi-billion dollar action that will kill tons of innocent people.

Moreover, what do we expect.. we bomb the shit out of ISIS and are surprised they kill TWO Americans??

this is all just the war machine revving up... more war.... its endless...it has to be...brainwash the masses yet again...

we should stay out of the Middle East...cut all aid off to Israel and Egypt and let them deal with their problems.. the idea that they will come after us here in the US if we don't get in their business is just not backed up by the facts....

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3782 on: September 05, 2014, 12:09:11 am »
we should stay out of the Middle East...cut all aid off to Israel and Egypt and let them deal with their problems.. the idea that they will come after us here in the US if we don't get in their business is just not backed up by the facts....

Actually (to a point) I have kind of said this for years.  The whole Palestine/Israel/Arab/West Bank/Blah Blah Blah thing has been going on for years longer than I have been alive.  There is only ONE thing that will stop them and that is when both sides get fed up with waking up each day to find their brothers, sisters, moms, and dads laying next to them dead.  Not one thing else will ever get them to stop.  We each may have our own personal beliefs as to who started what, when, where, and why, but that all doesn't mean shit.  We need to treat this like two kids fighting.  Let them slug each other until they get tired of playing that game and move on.
FUKIT

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3783 on: September 05, 2014, 09:44:10 am »
the idea that they will come after us here in the US if we don't get in their business is just not backed up by the facts....

huh?  there are no facts to back that up, because the US has always been all up in the middle east's business.  because they we are being attacked due to intervention doesn't prove the opposite, that we won't be attacked if we don't intervene.  the US is the great satan, and that isn't going to change just because the US stops its bombing runs.  they hate our freedom fries, remember?

There is only ONE thing that will stop them and that is when both sides get fed up with waking up each day to find their brothers, sisters, moms, and dads laying next to them dead.  Not one thing else will ever get them to stop. 

unfortunately i don't think that's true.  humans have a great ability to carry grudges and simmer in feuds.  throw in leaders who turn conflict to their advantages, and thus have motivation to keep the conflict going, and the wars will rage on forever.

We need to treat this like two kids fighting.  Let them slug each other until they get tired of playing that game and move on.

funny, i've come to the "two kids fighting" analogy recently too.  however, when i see two kids hitting each other i don't just walk away and hope that they'll eventually get tired of knocking each other's teeth out.  the right thing is to intervene and to teach them how to get along, or forcibly separate them, or get them to express why they're fighting, etc etc etc. 

the kids fighting analogy is good for understanding how they are currently behaving, but i'm not sure that it it leads to a good solution.  impose a time-out?  take away their dessert?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 09:45:45 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3784 on: September 05, 2014, 10:09:21 am »
Aren't you guys in the least concerned about the ISIS five year plan for global domination?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3785 on: September 05, 2014, 10:15:07 am »
funny, i've come to the "two kids fighting" analogy recently too.  however, when i see two kids hitting each other i don't just walk away and hope that they'll eventually get tired of knocking each other's teeth out.  the right thing is to intervene and to teach them how to get along, or forcibly separate them, or get them to express why they're fighting, etc etc etc. 

the kids fighting analogy is good for understanding how they are currently behaving, but i'm not sure that it it leads to a good solution.  impose a time-out?  take away their dessert?
The analogy is flawed, though, for a couple of reasons. One, the US is not an adult and other countries children. Should an adult walk away from two children who are fighting? Of course not. As an adult, they have the moral authority (and responsibility) to step in. That is just laughably not the case in the US.

The US getting involved in an religious conflict is sort of like the promoter in an underground Tijuana cage-fighting ring jumping into the ring to try and break up a fight-to-the-death match between two psychopathic teenage runaways that the promoter locked in their basement, abused, and fed dog food for years to toughen them up. It doesn't end well for the promoter.
LVMH

« Reply #3786 on: September 05, 2014, 10:15:38 am »
Aren't you guys in the least concerned about the ISIS five year plan for global domination?
I'm more concerned about Taylor Swift's five-year career prospects.
LVMH

« Reply #3787 on: September 05, 2014, 10:16:40 am »
Random thought: you know, I'm kind of really hurt that I threw a totally awesome online parade for you guys the other day and no one could even say thank you for the effort. Who doesn't love a parade? Apparently 930.com.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #3788 on: September 05, 2014, 10:30:09 am »
She'll be fine, as long as she wears her burka, shaves her pussy, and is ok with her husband's polygamy.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3789 on: September 05, 2014, 10:34:24 am »
Random thought: you know, I'm kind of really hurt that I threw a totally awesome online parade for you guys the other day and no one could even say thank you for the effort. Who doesn't love a parade? Apparently 930.com.

i believe we are all operating under the "if you don't have anything nice to say" rule.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3790 on: September 05, 2014, 10:42:10 am »
I think people were more concerned with finding naked pictures of Jennifer Lawrence and Justin Verlander.

How were those, anyway?

Yada

« Reply #3791 on: September 05, 2014, 10:42:47 am »
She'll be fine, as long as she wears her burka, shaves her pussy, and is ok with her husband's polygamy.

I'd expect most burka wearing women to have bushes down to their knees, no?

« Reply #3792 on: September 05, 2014, 10:46:03 am »

I'd expect most burka wearing women to have bushes down to their knees, no?
Yeah, I also thought this was mixing stereotypes.
LVMH

« Reply #3793 on: September 05, 2014, 10:46:39 am »
How were those, anyway?
#VerlandersButt haunts my dreams.
LVMH

« Reply #3794 on: September 05, 2014, 10:47:35 am »
i believe we are all operating under the "if you don't have anything nice to say" rule.
Its not my fault this messageboard is too puritanical to allow me to play .MIDI files automatically in the background to enhance the experience.
LVMH