Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1176662 times)

Rogue Riderhood

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #4080 on: October 24, 2014, 05:52:27 pm »
Hey, no need to insult my intelligence.

You don't know me. 

People can have different opinions.

And you seem to have skipped the part of the many replies I made in this thread where I said that I actually don't think guns should be banned, but we definitely have a gun problem in this country.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4081 on: October 24, 2014, 05:55:00 pm »
the argument that "if you ban guns, only criminals will have them" is asinine.  if you follow that logic, there is no point in making anything illegal.  why make murder illegal?  only criminals will murder!  why making speeding illegal?  only speeders will speed!

newsflash: the reason why you make something illegal is to stop most from doing it, and to have a framework to punish those who don't.  just because it won't be 100% effective isn't a reason to not do it.

and to those idiots who claim "but we'll be less safe without our guns" - WAY more people are killed by gun accidents every year than are saved from home invasions (a complete bogeyman) or other instances where a gun was "needed for defense".

gun nuts need to admit something: they like guns because it makes them feel powerful.  which is fine, in abstract; but the toll guns extract on society makes this bit of machoism irresponsible and selfish.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4082 on: October 24, 2014, 05:55:21 pm »
Well, actually you did say ban all guns.

I say ban all guns.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4083 on: October 24, 2014, 05:57:01 pm »
I was pointing out that 'banning' something does not make that thing go away.  If you are not intelligent enough to recognize that fact then there really is no point having this discussion any further.  Enjoy your rose colored glasses.   Next!

actually, RB, there is no point in discussing intelligently with you.  if something isn't 100% effective there no point in doing it?  murders still happen, so we should just make it legal since it's going to happen anyways?  brilliant.
<sig>

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #4084 on: October 24, 2014, 05:59:01 pm »

I say ban all guns.
it was a joke.

Something to get the gun nuts going.

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #4085 on: October 24, 2014, 06:00:05 pm »
I actually don't think all guns need to be outlawed (for home protection, police officers (but should NOT use them unless absolutely needed), the military, and for hunting). 

But I do feel like we have a serious problem with gun violence in the USA.

What is the solution? 

Who knows?

Everyone seems to be either this or that.

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #4086 on: October 24, 2014, 06:00:28 pm »
^ this was skipped by some of you...

stevewizzle

« Reply #4087 on: October 24, 2014, 06:09:59 pm »
I was pointing out that 'banning' something does not make that thing go away.  If you are not intelligent enough to recognize that fact then there really is no point having this discussion any further.  Enjoy your rose colored glasses.   Next!

actually, RB, there is no point in discussing intelligently with you.  if something isn't 100% effective there no point in doing it?  murders still happen, so we should just make it legal since it's going to happen anyways?  brilliant.

if we ban RB from the forum, we certainly wouldn't get rid of ALL the stupid posts, but it certainly would help.

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #4088 on: October 24, 2014, 06:44:15 pm »
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:50:04 pm by Rogue Riderhood »

James Ford

« Reply #4089 on: October 24, 2014, 06:57:15 pm »
This (bold)is a very compelling argument for choosing not to own a handgun. But a very weak argument for banning that choice.

the argument that "if you ban guns, only criminals will have them" is asinine.  if you follow that logic, there is no point in making anything illegal.  why make murder illegal?  only criminals will murder!  why making speeding illegal?  only speeders will speed!

newsflash: the reason why you make something illegal is to stop most from doing it, and to have a framework to punish those who don't.  just because it won't be 100% effective isn't a reason to not do it.

and to those idiots who claim "but we'll be less safe without our guns" - WAY more people are killed by gun accidents every year than are saved from home invasions (a complete bogeyman) or other instances where a gun was "needed for defense".

gun nuts need to admit something: they like guns because it makes them feel powerful.  which is fine, in abstract; but the toll guns extract on society makes this bit of machoism irresponsible and selfish.

James Ford

« Reply #4090 on: October 24, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »
When I do that, I believe people call it "trolling".

I say ban all guns.
it was a joke.

Something to get the gun nuts going.

Rogue Riderhood

« Reply #4091 on: October 24, 2014, 07:07:47 pm »
Some people are just uptight.

James Ford

« Reply #4092 on: October 24, 2014, 07:51:27 pm »
Yeah, like the Islam Apologists on here who get bent out of shape when I joke that Muslims should be banned from America.  ;D

Some people are just uptight.

hutch

« Reply #4093 on: October 24, 2014, 07:52:10 pm »
obviously all guns save for law enforcement should be banned...

we know its worked fine in plenty of countries

but hey if we want to keep hitting our heads against the wall...

honestly i'm just tired of the issue...but its just something we'll have to deal with forever... anti-gun Americans aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is and pro-gun Americans are... that's just what it comes down to in the end.

James Ford

« Reply #4094 on: October 24, 2014, 08:04:12 pm »
Like I'm sure a 73 year old woman who lives alone in a trailer park with her precious metals under her bed next to a trailer full of methheads would own a gun because she desires to feel powerful and macho.