Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2122734 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #2895 on: November 08, 2013, 11:42:14 am »
Not strictly pop but also new Goldfrapp and Morcheeba

And I will say that Robyn and Kylie are >> then anyone on Relaxer's list.

I personally found the M.I.A. interview on NPR pretty annoying.  Oh poor you being "over shadowed" in the US by the author who wrote about being a boy soldier in Sri Lanka.  It also says a lot when one's biggest hit involves a Clash bass line.

I like the Sky Eps, but at FreeFest she came of as either to cool to be there or bored.  Plus, lots of effects on her vocals.
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2896 on: November 08, 2013, 12:09:09 pm »
Not strictly pop but also new Goldfrapp and Morcheeba

any good?
<sig>

« Reply #2897 on: November 08, 2013, 12:36:46 pm »
I pretty much hate Miley.  But I did really enjoy her songs on SNL a few weeks back.  Did a stripped down version of the songs
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2898 on: November 08, 2013, 01:12:24 pm »
Have only heard snippets of the Morcheeba but it sounds great.  Goldfrapp is total shift away the dance pop sound of late, to a sound not unlike Saint Etienne. Which is kinda of ironic given that one of their old singles is used in an ad at the moment.
T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #2899 on: November 08, 2013, 01:57:25 pm »
http://prrfectpussy.bandcamp.com/
Getting ready for the back stage show!!!!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2900 on: November 08, 2013, 02:00:14 pm »
My God, we have something beautiful going at once discussing America's Pop Princesses and it takes you guys all of ten minutes to flip the entire thing into a discussion of bands like Morcheeba and Goldfrapp that no one has listened to in a decade. Christ.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2901 on: November 08, 2013, 02:34:57 pm »
So sorry if some of us look to UK where real princess live for our female vocalists.
T.Rex

Relaxer

« Reply #2902 on: November 08, 2013, 03:31:35 pm »
I don't think I'm going to like this Ariana Grande too much. I like my pop to be as white as possible, and she's venturing a little too much into R&B territory. On the other hand, I'm listening to the Avril and it might be right up my alley. I think I avoided it for so long because that dickbutt Chad Nickleback is all over it but whattyagonnado.

Another refreshing summer pop album was Haim, though I'm taking a break from that one right now.
oword

vansmack

« Reply #2903 on: November 08, 2013, 04:02:25 pm »
You guys all sound like 40 year old men who are trying too hard to stave off middle age. Act your age, turn that shit off and listen to some goddamn folk music, for Christ sake.

You sound retired.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2904 on: November 08, 2013, 04:11:26 pm »
I don't think I'm going to like this Ariana Grande too much. I like my pop to be as white as possible, and she's venturing a little too much into R&B territory. On the other hand, I'm listening to the Avril and it might be right up my alley. I think I avoided it for so long because that dickbutt Chad Nickleback is all over it but whattyagonnado.

Another refreshing summer pop album was Haim, though I'm taking a break from that one right now.
The thing about Ariana is she basically does a couple of styles dependent on her co-artist. Check out Popular Song, much more whitebread.
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2905 on: November 08, 2013, 05:04:09 pm »
Because I feel like stirring it up even more, the best female "pop" I've heard in while is Kacey Musgraves, don't let the twang and old timey instruments fool you, it's a great fluffy listen,lyrics are super clever.
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2906 on: November 08, 2013, 05:11:26 pm »
Forget the pop tarts and triple-A crap. My girls are Holly Herndon, Laurel Halo and Julia Holter.
😐 🎶

killsaly

« Reply #2907 on: November 08, 2013, 05:24:23 pm »
Laurel Halo's new one is great.  (http://www.hyperdub.net/releases/view/249/HDBCD021)

vansmack

« Reply #2908 on: November 08, 2013, 05:31:17 pm »
Because I feel like stirring it up even more, the best female "pop" I've heard in while is Kacey Musgraves, don't let the twang and old timey instruments fool you, it's a great fluffy listen,lyrics are super clever.

Absolutely spot on.  My guilty pleassure of 2013.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2909 on: November 08, 2013, 05:47:20 pm »
I can play beets game as well... After a week on heavy blues overload today is chilling to Kat Edmonson and Michele Stodart (Magic Numbers)
T.Rex