Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243855 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4170 on: January 31, 2014, 12:55:23 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the article intended as satire?

it's a great look, isn't it?  yeah.  that's you.
Yeah, fuck people for not all liking how the exact same things taste. What a cretin, with their taste buds and different preferences and shit.

nothing wrong with not liking something, and voicing one's opinion on the dislike.  it's that IPAs seem to engender a stupid kind of hate.  every IPA hater i've come across doesn't hate the beer so much as the idea of the beer - and that's just f*cking annoying.  dunno if you read that article, but the author comes across as a douche IMO.  he doesn't like it because you can't chug it.  how refined.  that opinion is just calling out for respect.

James Ford

« Reply #4171 on: January 31, 2014, 12:57:10 pm »
Thanks atomic. Now tell us how Lena Dunham looks good naked for a fat chick.

I'd rather drink wine than Budweiser.

i've really grown to appreciate the lager over the past month.  it kind of started with a destination wedding which only served light beer and budweiser... i drank A LOT of budweiser that weekend, and really enjoyed every one i had.  crisp, fresh, mildly tasteful, and easy drinking.  i've had some other quality lagers as of late, notably jack's abby smoke and dagger and edelstoff helles lager, but that budweiser was damn good in comparison.  just like IPAs, it has it's time and place and it really can be paired perfectly with food.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:59:50 pm by James Ford »

stevewizzle

« Reply #4172 on: January 31, 2014, 01:05:35 pm »
Thanks atomic. Now tell us how Lena Dunham looks good naked for a fat chick.

I'd rather drink wine than Budweiser.

i've really grown to appreciate the lager over the past month.  it kind of started with a destination wedding which only served light beer and budweiser... i drank A LOT of budweiser that weekend, and really enjoyed every one i had.  crisp, fresh, mildly tasteful, and easy drinking.  i've had some other quality lagers as of late, notably jack's abby smoke and dagger and edelstoff helles lager, but that budweiser was damn good in comparison.  just like IPAs, it has it's time and place and it really can be paired perfectly with food.

well that makes sense because your wife doesn't allow you to drink more than 1/2 a beer and bud heavys were made for pounding.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4173 on: January 31, 2014, 01:55:02 pm »
just like IPAs, it has it's time and place and it really can be paired perfectly with food.

Budweiser is rice beer, no?  So...Chinese food?

stevewizzle

« Reply #4174 on: January 31, 2014, 02:00:42 pm »
just like IPAs, it has it's time and place and it really can be paired perfectly with food.

Budweiser is rice beer, no?  So...Chinese food?

i paired smoke and dagger, a quasi-rauchbier, with shepperd pie.

i'm not sure budweiser would have any excellent pairing, but less flavorful chinese cuisine or noodles would certainly pair well with a bud.

atomic

« Reply #4175 on: January 31, 2014, 02:10:56 pm »
Yeah, fuck people for not all liking how the exact same things taste. What a cretin, with their taste buds and different preferences and shit.

nothing wrong with not liking something, and voicing one's opinion on the dislike.  it's that IPAs seem to engender a stupid kind of hate.  every IPA hater i've come across doesn't hate the beer so much as the idea of the beer - and that's just f*cking annoying.  dunno if you read that article, but the author comes across as a douche IMO.  he doesn't like it because you can't chug it.  how refined.  that opinion is just calling out for respect.

I don't see anything wrong with hating IPA's.  To me 99 percent of the taste like shit.  Lets cover up the fact that we don't know how to make beer by pouring a shit load of  hops into it and we won't be able to taste it.  Dogfishhead 60 minute is decent but a good IPA is far and few between. And it doesn't help that douchebags like James Ford and other novice beer drinkers like him love them so much.  

Maybe one day he and his ilk will develop the ability to detect the nuiances of flavor without having to be hit over head with hops.  

James Ford

« Reply #4176 on: January 31, 2014, 02:26:37 pm »
C+

Brian could have written this so much better.

I don't see anything wrong with hating IPA's.  To me 99 percent of the taste like shit.  Lets cover up the fact that we don't know how to make beer by pouring a shit load of  hops into it and we won't be able to taste it.  Dogfishhead 60 minute is decent but a good IPA is far and few between. And it doesn't help that douchebags like James Ford and other novice beer drinkers like him love them so much.  

Maybe one day he and his ilk will develop the ability to detect the nuiances of flavor without having to be hit over head with hops.  

stevewizzle

« Reply #4177 on: January 31, 2014, 02:49:42 pm »
eh i tend to agree.  barrel aging and overly hopped beers can make a bad beer good, and a good beer great. not saying it's a bad thing, i tend to love both, and think there is a higher ceiling for quality and taste when you barrel age or over hop. but personally, i'm done purchasing IPAs, because i've recently discovered i can brew my own IPA just as good or better than most of what i can buy.  i'm an okay brewer, but honestly, the IPA i made took very little skill. just need the right equipment, and a lot of hops. 

i think there's a big resurgence of beers like budweiser on the horizon.  i don't think there will be any slow down in hop-forward beers, but i think a lot of people are going to start realizing they can have quality lagers in addition to their fresh, local IPA.

James Ford

« Reply #4178 on: January 31, 2014, 02:57:28 pm »
I'm hoping the resurgence will taste more like Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager or Victory Prima Pils than Budweiser. But I still won't be buying any, no matter how cool it gets.

eh i tend to agree.  barrel aging and overly hopped beers can make a bad beer good, and a good beer great. not saying it's a bad thing, i tend to love both, and think there is a higher ceiling for quality and taste when you barrel age or over hop. but personally, i'm done purchasing IPAs, because i've recently discovered i can brew my own IPA just as good or better than most of what i can buy.  i'm an okay brewer, but honestly, the IPA i made took very little skill. just need the right equipment, and a lot of hops. 

i think there's a big resurgence of beers like budweiser on the horizon.  i don't think there will be any slow down in hop-forward beers, but i think a lot of people are going to start realizing they can have quality lagers in addition to their fresh, local IPA.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4179 on: January 31, 2014, 03:57:22 pm »
eh i tend to agree.  barrel aging and overly hopped beers can make a bad beer good, and a good beer great

next logical step: it makes a great beer stellar.  i don't think anyone is saying (i certainly am not) that just add hops and gutter water will get a 98 on BA.  there are literally thousands of IPAs out there but people only chase down a handful.  sam adams has recently launched Rebel IPA... <crickets>.

i think there's a big resurgence of beers like budweiser on the horizon. 

doubtful, on two counts:

1) the type of folks who would be responsible for a resurgence (beer enthusiasts, reviewers, journalist and bloggers, etc_ will not embrace BMC.  should the momentum swing towards less intense beers (more on this below), it would focus on craft beers.  there is a stigma with the big industrial brands (deserved in my opinion - you can go subtle, light, crisp, etc without being tasteless).
2) supporters of less intensity have been proclaiming the rise of sessions beers and the like for a good 2 years now.  i don't see it.  sour beers were also supposed to be the next big thing, but they're limited by production: because of the time an resources required to make most sours, brewers can't pump out the volume required to maintain a "new wave."  session beers, let along industrial beer like bud, certainly don't have that problem.  the pale ales that are doing best out there are to the higher end of hoppiness and ABV.

IPAs will be unseated some day as the king of craft... but it ain't happening any time soon, IMO.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #4180 on: January 31, 2014, 05:50:19 pm »
eh i tend to agree.  barrel aging and overly hopped beers can make a bad beer good, and a good beer great

next logical step: it makes a great beer stellar.  i don't think anyone is saying (i certainly am not) that just add hops and gutter water will get a 98 on BA.  there are literally thousands of IPAs out there but people only chase down a handful.  sam adams has recently launched Rebel IPA... <crickets>.

they chase down the freshness, not the recipe.

i think there's a big resurgence of beers like budweiser on the horizon. 

doubtful, on two counts:

1) the type of folks who would be responsible for a resurgence (beer enthusiasts, reviewers, journalist and bloggers, etc_ will not embrace BMC.  should the momentum swing towards less intense beers (more on this below), it would focus on craft beers.  there is a stigma with the big industrial brands (deserved in my opinion - you can go subtle, light, crisp, etc without being tasteless).
woah, you're arguing a point i never tried to make. who said anything about big industrial brands?  a beer can be like budweiser and not be from macrobrewery. the fact that budweiser is mass-produced and still tastes excellent (usually) might mean local brewers who produce a similar product could start eating away at the market share.

2) supporters of less intensity have been proclaiming the rise of sessions beers and the like for a good 2 years now.  i don't see it.  sour beers were also supposed to be the next big thing, but they're limited by production: because of the time an resources required to make most sours, brewers can't pump out the volume required to maintain a "new wave."  session beers, let along industrial beer like bud, certainly don't have that problem.  the pale ales that are doing best out there are to the higher end of hoppiness and ABV.
feel free to come to the west coast, where sour beers sit on the shelves and collect dust. production is way ahead of demand. oud tart, tart of darkness, sang noir, etc.. all some of the finest sours crafted in the world are shelf beers now. for lagers, i'm just saying i think a resurgence will occur.  they might sit on the shelf along with the sours and the session beers, but i bet it happens. 

IPAs will be unseated some day as the king of craft... but it ain't happening any time soon, IMO.

gruit will be the next king of craft. but king of beers? there's only one.*

*brought to you by anhueser-busch inbev

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4181 on: January 31, 2014, 10:14:54 pm »
http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2014/01/craft-brewery-to-open-in-woodstock.php

my neck of the woods, went and got, all fancy pants.  too bad, i think, that beer is, a tool of the devil.

James Ford

« Reply #4182 on: January 31, 2014, 10:39:06 pm »
There is no devil and six ounces of beer a day has its health benefits.

my neck of the woods, went and got, all fancy pants.  too bad, i think, that beer is, a tool of the devil.

hutch

« Reply #4183 on: January 31, 2014, 10:53:39 pm »

so that is where you live..man that is far..

i got to say this is a pretty boring friday night..maybe i'll go back to washington bio

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4184 on: February 01, 2014, 11:51:28 am »
ELI5: the difference between IPAs and American Pale Ales, please.
LVMH