Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243801 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4905 on: October 01, 2014, 04:11:13 pm »
sweetcell . . . this is you

stevewizzle

« Reply #4906 on: October 01, 2014, 06:05:50 pm »
it's weird how FL has become berliner central...  good for them, i guess!

tillamook oregon begs to differ.

tillamook has one BW brewery.  as awesome as De Garde's beers are (supposedly, never had the pleasure), that doesn't make them "berliner central" in my books.

OK

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/87/?sort=avgD

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4907 on: October 07, 2014, 12:33:37 pm »
GABF medal winners: http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

Boston Beer won two golds their Double Bock (doppelbock) & Tetravis (Belgian-Style Abbey Ale).

Gordon Biersch - Annapolis got a gold for their rauchbier.

DC Brau got a silver for The Citizen.  other local silver and bronzes: Gordon Biersch - Rockville, DuClaw, Union Craft, Heavy Seas, Capitol City. 

four medals for Devils Backbone, including a gold.... resulting in them getting "Mid-Size Brewing Company and Mid-Size Brewing Company Brewer of the Year".
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4908 on: October 07, 2014, 12:50:32 pm »
Are you trying to point out the poor taste of the judges? Because I really don't "get" many of the selections you highlighted.

GABF medal winners: http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

Boston Beer won two golds their Double Bock (doppelbock) & Tetravis (Belgian-Style Abbey Ale).

Gordon Biersch - Annapolis got a gold for their rauchbier.

DC Brau got a silver for The Citizen.  other local silver and bronzes: Gordon Biersch - Rockville, DuClaw, Union Craft, Heavy Seas, Capitol City. 

four medals for Devils Backbone, including a gold.... resulting in them getting "Mid-Size Brewing Company and Mid-Size Brewing Company Brewer of the Year".

stevewizzle

« Reply #4909 on: October 07, 2014, 01:46:03 pm »
it's kind of hard to really "judge" the winners they chose unless you know what else these beers they were up against, right? 

James Ford

« Reply #4910 on: October 07, 2014, 01:55:54 pm »
Yep. I honestly didn't read much about it.

But there were a hell of a lot of breweries at that thing this year so it at least seems like the competition would have been stiff.

The idea that Duclaw's Sweet Baby Jesus would win any kind of medal at anything just seems wrong though.

it's kind of hard to really "judge" the winners they chose unless you know what else these beers they were up against, right? 

stevewizzle

« Reply #4911 on: October 07, 2014, 01:57:20 pm »

But there were a hell of a lot of breweries at that thing this year so it at least seems like the competition would have been stiff.

The idea that Duclaw's Sweet Baby Jesus would win any kind of medal at anything just seems wrong though.

old style won silver.  when i visited chicago and asked you for advice, there was no mention of this award-winning beer.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4912 on: October 07, 2014, 02:19:31 pm »
Are you trying to point out the poor taste of the judges? Because I really don't "get" many of the selections you highlighted.

with the exception of Boston Beer, which i highlighted because it's a surprising result, all the breweries are from DC, MD or VA.

also, it was a platform for you to point out how people who don't share your taste automatically have poor taste ;D

yet you opined rather strongly...

the competition is indeed really tough.  there are way more potential entrants than there are entry spots.  breweries are limited to 4 or 5 beers, total, across all categories.  i believe there were something like 9,000 entries this year.  so the fact that all, or 4 out of 5, Devils Backbone beers won medals is really impressive.

there has to be something weird going on with that beer.  like you, when i tasted SBJ it was disgusting.  yet a lot of folks LOVE it and it won a medal at GABF (meaning that it won several rounds).  maybe there were some bad batches?
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #4913 on: October 07, 2014, 02:26:55 pm »
i liked the 4 ounce taste of SBJ i had at churchkey ways back, but that's about all i could handle.

speaking of medal winners sweetcelll... have you opened a bottle of silver-medal winning kentucky dark star yet? 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4914 on: October 07, 2014, 03:24:02 pm »
have you opened a bottle of silver-medal winning kentucky dark star yet? 

nope, not yet... but the air is getting cooler, so we're entering Big Beer season.  might have to queue that one up soon.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4915 on: October 07, 2014, 03:59:08 pm »
The Sam Adams dopplebock is better than anything I've tasted from Port City, Duclaw, or Devil's Backbone.

How Devil's Backbone continues to get so much GABF love, I'll never know. Their shelf beers are pedestrian.

I think we all know how bad the Citizen is. Yet, some fat guys in Colorado don't. Seems like maybe they had some edibles before tasting it.

with the exception of Boston Beer, which i highlighted because it's a surprising result, all the breweries are from DC, MD or VA.

also, it was a platform for you to point out how people who don't share your taste automatically have poor taste ;D

yet you opined rather strongly...

the competition is indeed really tough.  there are way more potential entrants than there are entry spots.  breweries are limited to 4 or 5 beers, total, across all categories.  i believe there were something like 9,000 entries this year.  so the fact that all, or 4 out of 5, Devils Backbone beers won medals is really impressive.

there has to be something weird going on with that beer.  like you, when i tasted SBJ it was disgusting.  yet a lot of folks LOVE it and it won a medal at GABF (meaning that it won several rounds).  maybe there were some bad batches?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4916 on: October 07, 2014, 04:47:52 pm »
DB is a "brewer's brewer" - their beers are great examples of a style.  kolsh or American-Style Dark Lager aren't exactly exciting styles (AKA pedestrian) compared to modern IPAs or imperial stouts but since beer competitions are about brewing to style, they do well. 

I think we all know how bad the Citizen is.

we certainly know how bad you think the citizen is ;D
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4917 on: October 07, 2014, 05:30:47 pm »
So does their conservative beer ideiology equate to them having lower IQ's?  ;D

DB is a "brewer's brewer" - their beers are great examples of a style.  kolsh or American-Style Dark Lager aren't exactly exciting styles (AKA pedestrian) compared to modern IPAs or imperial stouts but since beer competitions are about brewing to style, they do well. 

I think we all know how bad the Citizen is.

we certainly know how bad you think the citizen is ;D

Yada

« Reply #4918 on: October 08, 2014, 09:46:00 am »

James Ford

« Reply #4919 on: October 08, 2014, 09:52:16 am »
Been meaning to go, but haven't. Tentatively planning on going NEXT weekend....if the weather is nice and we can combine it with some Fall hiking.

Adroit Theory, Corcoran, Lost Rhino, and Old Ox are all in Loudoun County. Haven't checked out any of them, but hope to check out all eventually.

anyone been?

http://www.adroit-theory.com