Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243322 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6600 on: March 18, 2016, 11:45:18 am »
and here I remember when space hated hopslam, and would so gladly proclaim it you . . . ah, the good ole days.

When did I ever say I hated it? It's very good, not great. There are better DIPA's for cheaper six pack prices (I picked up one last night, Union Double Duckpin.). It's hateworthy in a sense that it gets more press than it deserves at this point, but it's like Kobe, you have to give him legacy props and he can still put up 30 on a good night. Then again, Hopslam never raped anyone, so it's not even as hateworthy as Kobe.
POTW. Did not see that topic shift coming. That's some quality shade being thrown around.
LVMH

« Reply #6601 on: March 18, 2016, 12:39:33 pm »
and here I though he was talking of the overpriced beef from Japan...until the rape comment
slack

« Reply #6602 on: March 19, 2016, 11:19:16 pm »
South Florida has come a long way with Beer
My Cuz took me on a little tour and man was there some good beer/breweries
Started off with a Jal-alai draft at the Wet Lab overlooking Biscayne bay for sun set

Then headed to wynwood  in Miami and that hood is just freakin' awesome
The Wynwood Arts District is home ...one of the largest open-air street-art installations in the world.
This district is a must see if in Miami
So tons of cool eateries, cocktail bars, breweries, food trucks artisanal this and that and lots of thumping clubs too
and everything...I mean everything is covered in Art (mostly street art, but all of it was stellar IMO)
beaucoup beautiful people

First stop was J Wakefield
The La Nada Russian imperial was my favorite selection
The Detention Imperial IPA was not slouch either

they had some really interesting sours
They did a colab with Evil twin called East Bound & Down - An Imperial Berliner done with @relentlessroasters Coffee and Cocoa nibs
the Appleweisse Berliner Weisse colab with Captain Lawrence (great NY brewery too)...just had a sip, but thought it was very appealing

The star wars décor was the only drawback...some of it was cool, but feels kind kitschy when they have such good beer

the Frita (Cuban beef patty) from the food truck was also off the charts delicious

At this point, I probably should have dialed it down, but it was only 11PM and Miami just gets started at that time (well that's early for the clubs)

So we went over to Concrete Beach Brewery
Love their logo / tag line

the Walls South American Red Ale was a fine beer

Then we headed over to one of his friend's bar call the Barracuda Bar & Grill in Coconut Grove
looked very much like a typical S Florida bar...but the tap selection was amazing
Started off with A Hi-Res by Sixpoint...fantastic DIPA with 10% ABV
then the owner was saving him a bomber of Cappuccino Stout from Lagunitas 9.2%ABV
and we slurped that down with reckless abandon and a big smile on my face

needless to say my blood was about 9.2 ABV at that point and luckily he was cognizant enough to get us a uber home.
To add to the pain that I'd inflicted on myself, the bed room I was in, the smoke alarm battery was dying and kept giving a piercing beep every minute when I awoke much earlier than I should have

We didn't go, but there is a place they go to called Box Elder that is a bottle shop and taproom that has an impressive draft list and rare bottles
They both looked at me oddly when I said "awesome, love GBV" and they responded "what's a GBV?"
slack

Yada

« Reply #6603 on: March 20, 2016, 08:45:45 am »
South Florida has come a long way with Beer
My Cuz took me on a little tour and man was there some good beer/breweries
Started off with a Jal-alai draft at the Wet Lab overlooking Biscayne bay for sun set

Then headed to wynwood  in Miami and that hood is just freakin' awesome
The Wynwood Arts District is home ...one of the largest open-air street-art installations in the world.
This district is a must see if in Miami
So tons of cool eateries, cocktail bars, breweries, food trucks artisanal this and that and lots of thumping clubs too
and everything...I mean everything is covered in Art (mostly street art, but all of it was stellar IMO)
beaucoup beautiful people

First stop was J Wakefield
The La Nada Russian imperial was my favorite selection
The Detention Imperial IPA was not slouch either

they had some really interesting sours
They did a colab with Evil twin called East Bound & Down - An Imperial Berliner done with @relentlessroasters Coffee and Cocoa nibs
the Appleweisse Berliner Weisse colab with Captain Lawrence (great NY brewery too)...just had a sip, but thought it was very appealing

The star wars décor was the only drawback...some of it was cool, but feels kind kitschy when they have such good beer

the Frita (Cuban beef patty) from the food truck was also off the charts delicious

At this point, I probably should have dialed it down, but it was only 11PM and Miami just gets started at that time (well that's early for the clubs)

So we went over to Concrete Beach Brewery
Love their logo / tag line

the Walls South American Red Ale was a fine beer

Then we headed over to one of his friend's bar call the Barracuda Bar & Grill in Coconut Grove
looked very much like a typical S Florida bar...but the tap selection was amazing
Started off with A Hi-Res by Sixpoint...fantastic DIPA with 10% ABV
then the owner was saving him a bomber of Cappuccino Stout from Lagunitas 9.2%ABV
and we slurped that down with reckless abandon and a big smile on my face

needless to say my blood was about 9.2 ABV at that point and luckily he was cognizant enough to get us a uber home.
To add to the pain that I'd inflicted on myself, the bed room I was in, the smoke alarm battery was dying and kept giving a piercing beep every minute when I awoke much earlier than I should have

We didn't go, but there is a place they go to called Box Elder that is a bottle shop and taproom that has an impressive draft list and rare bottles
They both looked at me oddly when I said "awesome, love GBV" and they responded "what's a GBV?"

Maybe they were confused because it's a pavement song? Otherwise, nice write up, would love to get to J Wakefield.

« Reply #6604 on: March 20, 2016, 09:27:54 am »

Maybe they were confused because it's a pavement song? Otherwise, nice write up, would love to get to J Wakefield.
ack...my synapses are misfiring and connecting the wrong memories
same era at least
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:25:27 am by SideBernt |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6605 on: March 21, 2016, 02:51:06 pm »
Savor Brewery List...

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beer-food/savor-breweries/

I saw that list previously and all i have to say is they need to drop the lottery system and get more selective.

I think it's exciting... I hadn't heard of half the breweries last year and ended up with a bunch of new favorites.

I'm not really a SAvor person, I'm just repeating what someone on Beer Advocate forums said. They were commenting that this year's crop isn't nearly up to par with previous years, and perhaps the reason is that they select breweries via some kind of lotter system rather than based on some other way.

So here's the beer list. For those who have previously attended, what's your thoughts on the breweries and beers this year compared to previous years?

I still say the events surrounding SAVOR are way better than SAVOR itself.

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beers/

Space Freely

« Reply #6606 on: March 21, 2016, 02:54:18 pm »
Yada, you'd be so proud of me.

Met a friend at Aslin Saturday, my wife told me to bring back "a lot of beer".

I was going to get 32 ounces each of Bringing Sexy Back and Master of Karate. They said they couldn't fill my long neck growlers. So instead I brought home 64 ozs of BSB. $22 for a 6.3 abv ipa. Ouch!

But damn, it was so fucking tasty. Pretty certain I prefer that New England style to the West Coast style.

Yada

« Reply #6607 on: March 21, 2016, 03:50:15 pm »

I was going to get 32 ounces each of Bringing Sexy Back and Master of Karate. They said they couldn't fill my long neck growlers. So instead I brought home 64 ozs of BSB. $22 for a 6.3 abv ipa. Ouch!

But damn, it was so fucking tasty. Pretty certain I prefer that New England style to the West Coast style.

Nice work... drank a bunch of Master of Karate over the weekend and dare I say.... it was as good as heady, maybe better?

Space Freely

« Reply #6608 on: March 21, 2016, 04:13:25 pm »

Nice work... drank a bunch of Master of Karate over the weekend and dare I say.... it was as good as heady, maybe better?

I sampled that too, I just liked BSB better. My friend preferred Masters. Both top notch.

Yada

« Reply #6609 on: March 22, 2016, 01:28:13 pm »
Savor Brewery List...

I saw that list previously and all i have to say is they need to drop the lottery system and get more selective.

I think it's exciting... I hadn't heard of half the breweries last year and ended up with a bunch of new favorites.

I'm not really a SAvor person, I'm just repeating what someone on Beer Advocate forums said. They were commenting that this year's crop isn't nearly up to par with previous years, and perhaps the reason is that they select breweries via some kind of lotter system rather than based on some other way.

So here's the beer list. For those who have previously attended, what's your thoughts on the breweries and beers this year compared to previous years?

I've only went one year and have the same feelings towards this list. I'll go and enjoy probably 40 samples of beer I've never tried in my life and most likely enjoy 80% of them. 

I think sometimes people forget there are more breweries in the world than the same 20 we blabber about on a daily basis. Would it be nice to have a couple of heavy hitters there, maybe? But those lines would be ridiculous and I've most likely tried most of those beers.

Space Freely

« Reply #6610 on: March 22, 2016, 01:55:04 pm »
Savor Brewery List...

I've only went one year and have the same feelings towards this list. I'll go and enjoy probably 40 samples of beer I've never tried in my life and most likely enjoy 80% of them. 

I think sometimes people forget there are more breweries in the world than the same 20 we blabber about on a daily basis. Would it be nice to have a couple of heavy hitters there, maybe? But those lines would be ridiculous and I've most likely tried most of those beers.

Don't sleep on the Melvin 2x4. I pretty much already know that's going to be the best beer I drink on my Wyoming vacation this summer.

Yada

« Reply #6611 on: March 24, 2016, 01:37:56 pm »

Saturday, April 2 at 6 PM - 10:30 PM

The Last Rewind returns to Ocelot Brewing Company for a night of sweet Phish grooves and jam-inspired brews. Let's keep it simple: 2 Sets of Phish. Phantastic beer. Phinger-licking BBQ. Starts at 6. OK? Ok. Let's do this.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #6612 on: March 25, 2016, 08:55:06 am »
ocelot was playing some sweet 90s/00s indie rock when i was there last
o/\o

Space Freely

« Reply #6613 on: March 25, 2016, 09:33:18 am »
ocelot was playing some sweet 90s/00s indie rock when i was there last

Same for me first couple of times there. Last couple of times, silence.

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #6614 on: March 25, 2016, 12:17:23 pm »

Don't sleep on the Melvin 2x4. I pretty much already know that's going to be the best beer I drink on my Wyoming vacation this summer.

I had the Melvin 4x8 last month and that was really tasty.  I can thank Chad Yakobson again for bringing Melvin to Colorado.