Author Topic: The High Violets  (Read 3275 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
The High Violets
« on: May 16, 2006, 01:53:00 am »
Can anyone tell me about shows at The Grog & Tankard? In other words, showtime, average door cost, how long shows go on, etc.?

I just found out a few minutes ago that The High Violets are playing there on Tues. night. (Tonight) Damn! Wish that I would have known this awhile ago so that I could make plans. Good chance now that I won't be able to make it and I'm pissed about that since I really like this band a lot.

I know the place sucks but the band is good and they are from the West Coast and don't think they've ever played this way before.

This is what I get for never checking the venue's calendar. Only found out by checking out the band's schedule.

Thanks for any help.

snailhook

Re: The High Violets
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 04:21:00 am »
i think these guys emailed me looking for help with a show, but i couldn't do anything for tonight. too bad they are stuck playing that shithole.

TomJaworski

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 10:42:00 am »
Anyone know what the cover charge is? When does the show begin? Might go but doubt I want to sit thru the first two bands.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:02:00 am »
Well I posted something about this show over at Here's A Hint, A post to DCist under the this weeks shows might get info as well..
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 11:07:00 am »
Here's the website: http://www.grogandtankard.com/
 No info on the show, but give 'em a call and maybe they can help you out.
 It's a small place, cover for the shows I've attended have been b/w $5-10...Usually not crowded, a few tables, barstools. Only real pain: finding parking on Wisconsin or surrounding streets. Metro would be best, I suppose.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 11:11:00 am »
The other two bands, The Comfies and Ghostfinger, are from the Nashville area and of the indie pop/rock variety... it appears they don't suck too bad.
T.Rex

TomJaworski

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 11:20:00 am »
Yeah, I had checked the website. It sucks. What kinda of venue doesn't advertise the price of the show on its website?! For that reason alone I probably won't show up...that and the parking situation. Is there even a Metro stop within a mile of the place?

ratioci nation

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 11:35:00 am »
Originally posted by LonnieBeale:
  Yeah, I had checked the website. It sucks. What kinda of venue doesn't advertise the price of the show on its website?! For that reason alone I probably won't show up...that and the parking situation. Is there even a Metro stop within a mile of the place?
its between Tenleytown and Foggy Bottom, neither are very close, but plenty of buses up and down wisconsin

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 12:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:

Originally posted by LonnieBeale:
its between Tenleytown and Foggy Bottom, neither are very close, but plenty of buses up and down wisconsin [/b]
yeah, you'd have to catch one of the 30s busses to get there via public transportation, it's in glover park (or "upper georgetown" if you're trying to sell your house)

quite possibly the worst venue in DC, you'll probably have to deal with some drunks playing pool and at least half the people there won't be there to hear the band ... not a bad spot if you're just going to have a few beers and shoot some pool, but i can't imagine going there to actually see a band ... then again, it's a tuesday, so maybe it'll just be dead
(o|o)

tinygee

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »
my band has played there a few times and it is shitty sound, shitty beer prices, and shitty people most of the time (georgetown kids with their collars popped)...
 every show there is usually $7
 starts at 9

eltee

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 02:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by tinygee:
  (georgetown kids with their collars popped)...
 every show there is usually $7
 starts at 9
Never experienced that - it's either been dead or bar locals (the same?  :p  )

tinygee

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »
well times when ive played there, the other bands on the bill were cover bands that played (sublime, dave matthews, oar, stuff like that) and that is when the pink shirts run rampant

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 09:04:00 pm »
Guess no one here made it to the show? Too bad, especially for the band. Wish I could have gone but it came down to knowing that I couldn't drag my ass out of bed to get to work only about 2 or 3 hours after getting home. Tried to rationalize by knowing the venue sucks.

Thanks for everyones' input. It was all everything I had assumed or already knew. Metroing is not an option for me and I already knew about the parking madness and other crap.

Had to miss Cerulean there last Fall for basically the same reason, even though I was guest listed. I warned them about the venue but they jumped on the first offer. LOL. Still sorry I missed their show.  

Now, if only The High Violets would come back this way again and play a decent venue.     :D