Author Topic: Yet Another Just Announced Commetary Thread  (Read 79634 times)

nkotb

Re: Yet Another Just Announced Commetary Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2010, 02:40:17 pm »
You know, I don't think that new Wavves is half bad.  In fact, it might be half good.  Gotta re-listen, but I found it an immediate improvement on the first album

And fucking Wavves.
The apocalypse is nigh.
Phoenix with Dirty Projectors
Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
10/20

srsly?

Relaxer

« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2010, 08:36:42 pm »
I think the new wavves is great. Good album to run or drive to.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Yet Another Just Announced CommeNtary Thread
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2010, 01:52:33 pm »
Travelled to Vancouver for work, then backpacking near Whistler and microbrew drinking in Seattle. Good time, though no live music.

You'll have two weeks of vacation (somewhere nice, I hope) to figure out the answer to my question.

Welcome back, James Ford.

on vacay, were we? 

you're back just in time.  i'm out starting late tomorrow for two weeks.  glad you'll be here to keep the predictability factor somewhat constant. 

backpacking in BC, beer-drinking in seattle... not bad at all.  hopefully one offset the effects of the other :)

i'm off for a week in holland, then a week in ukraine.  should be interesting, although relaxation might be in short supply. 

as for the trivia question, i don't know if i'd be able to answer it even if i used The Google.
<sig>

James Ford

Re: Yet Another Just Announced CommeNtary Thread
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2010, 02:19:55 pm »
In eight days, I ran 45 miles, backpacked 11, hiked 7, walked 15-20, sea kayaked for two hours, and exercise biked for 95 minutes.

And gained 4.5 pounds.

I drank alot of good beer, and ate alot of good food. So the scales tipped toward the food and beer consumption.

Time to drop the 4.5 this week.

Holland sounds good, not sure about the Ukraine.

I bet Twangirl would have a good guess regarding my question.

Travelled to Vancouver for work, then backpacking near Whistler and microbrew drinking in Seattle. Good time, though no live music.

You'll have two weeks of vacation (somewhere nice, I hope) to figure out the answer to my question.

Welcome back, James Ford.

on vacay, were we? 

you're back just in time.  i'm out starting late tomorrow for two weeks.  glad you'll be here to keep the predictability factor somewhat constant. 

backpacking in BC, beer-drinking in seattle... not bad at all.  hopefully one offset the effects of the other :)

i'm off for a week in holland, then a week in ukraine.  should be interesting, although relaxation might be in short supply. 

as for the trivia question, i don't know if i'd be able to answer it even if i used The Google.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #184 on: August 25, 2010, 11:53:48 pm »
Carried over from the Boom Boom Satellites convo in the Just Announced thread:

Boom Boom Satellites 10/13 6:00 PM

Oh, yeah!

But what a crappy time. Too early for a whole lot of working folks to get there in time and their music is best enjoyed later in the evening if you are seeing them live.

So they are worth checking out? I admittedly was forced to ask Wikipedia who they were and am intrigued now.

Ohh a Jag recommendation... must check them out.

Jagy knows her shit  ;D

Thanks guys!

Boom Boom Satellites are a pretty cool Japanese Electronic band. Suspect that Az and Killsaly will like them. Not all that sure about you, William The Great. Maybe.

Odd timing as I was just thinking of uploading one of their songs to Air Atlantic Underground Radio. Got to rustle around and find my CD first. I know that I just saw it the other day while looking for something else.

Not for all tastes but they are pretty good if you enjoy a little high polished Electronica in your musical diet from time to time. They are pretty good at what they do.

Check out the song "On The Painted Desert". It's pretty cool. ...Off to upload it to the station.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2010, 03:32:12 pm »
i used to play boom boom satellites on my college radio show all the time back in the late 90's....might be fun to see live

Christine Moritz

« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2010, 12:33:40 pm »
(In connection with the Boom Boom Satellites show at the 9:30 Club on Thurs. 10/13...)

I remember buying a 12-inch of "On the Painted Desert" to get the DJ Krush mix and also liking the "Vocal Mix feat. Dice."

Now I can't remember what the DJ Krush mix sounds like... will have to locate it in my record collection and give it a listen.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2010, 04:51:14 pm »
Here is my commentary where I'm pissed of Einsturzende Neubauten are skipping our area :( :( :( :(

Looks like I'll be going up to Toronto

http://pitchfork.com/news/40048-einsturzende-neubauten-plan-anniversary-tour/

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2010, 01:18:52 am »
Last month he also announced he was 'too old to be singing about girls' and was only going to dj and produce/remix in the future.

hadn't heard that, but that's a damn shame.  i've seen him live twice in NYC and both times were awesome. 
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2010, 04:32:49 pm »
Anyone here going to see Boom Boom Satellites tonight? Would love to go but due to time and space restraints, that's not possible.

Still say the show is ridiculously way too early but I guess that's the best that could be booked this time around.

If anyone goes, please post a review. Thanks.  ;)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2010, 08:38:59 pm »
i have to say most of the indie artists worshipped on this board would do the same thing if they could get anyone to pay that kind of money.. in the modern world its all about the benjamins.. if you got them you're good and if you don't fuck you.

do you seriously believe both those statements, or are you such a fan-boy that you'll say anything to defend your idols?

1) i can think of a lot of artists that are worshipped on this board who would refuse to charge their fans $1,525 for a ticket.  the don't want to play to a sea of middle-aged doctors, lobbyists and investment bankers.  the obvious example is jesus lizzard and i suspect 99% of hardcore/punk bands.  some formerly "indie" acts who could charge that kind of money don't: radiohead could easily ask $1K+ for front row, but have made a point of keeping tickets $50-$60.  trent reznor was asked to charge a lot more than he did for his farewell tour and he refused (partially because he was a little embarrassed by how much the NINJA tickets cost).
2) if you believe more money = more happiness... good luck with that (some money is obviously required).  it ain't all about the benjamins.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:19 pm »
i have to say most of the indie artists worshipped on this board would do the same thing if they could get anyone to pay that kind of money.. in the modern world its all about the benjamins.. if you got them you're good and if you don't fuck you.

do you seriously believe both those statements, or are you such a fan-boy that you'll say anything to defend your idols?

1) i can think of a lot of artists that are worshipped on this board who would refuse to charge their fans $1,525 for a ticket.  the don't want to play to a sea of middle-aged doctors, lobbyists and investment bankers.  the obvious example is jesus lizzard and i suspect 99% of hardcore/punk bands.  some formerly "indie" acts who could charge that kind of money don't: radiohead could easily ask $1K+ for front row, but have made a point of keeping tickets $50-$60.  trent reznor was asked to charge a lot more than he did for his farewell tour and he refused (partially because he was a little embarrassed by how much the NINJA tickets cost).
2) if you believe more money = more happiness... good luck with that (some money is obviously required).  it ain't all about the benjamins.

dude.. come on.. please..

I'm not even a fan of Bon Jovi much less a fanboy...someone called me with a free ticket close up and I needed a night out..

But the world is the way it is...there are exceptions... but in general everyone's trying to make as much money as possible..

Guided By VOices is playing NYE in NYC for about $80... why do you think they are playing a few weeks after their tour ends?

Sting who made a name as a human rights guy played recently for the dictator of Kazakhstan or some country over there.. maybe Uzbekistan... this guy tortures people.. why do you think he did it?

I don't have any benjamins btw ... i'm just telling you what i see all around me and I'm not going to sugarcoat it..  Indie bands charge less because they can't afford to charge more (in the main).. And watch out with bands like Radiohead.. you might be surprised in a few years.. a lot of these bands are going to be auctioning the  best seats.. thats not far way...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2010, 08:30:04 pm »
Idlewild cancel all US tour dates :(
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #193 on: November 10, 2010, 10:26:00 pm »
Idlewild cancel all US tour dates :(

kosmo . . . come on.  you're ruining the "tennis volley" back n forth of two opinions that for some reason i found interesting, seeing how it was based on bon jovi.  like watching two cable news providers going head to head at it for the quickest clip before the other one does (you know fox news usually gets it first (murdoch) and they have half naked, starry eyed females for reporters).

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2010, 11:57:30 pm »
All of these are like the others

Album of the Year Grammy nominees: Arcade Fire, Eminem, Lady Antebellum, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry

So what does "indie" mean anymore besides being on a "indie rock" label?
T.Rex