Author Topic: Ruminations on Remasters  (Read 2078 times)

Ruminations on Remasters
« on: April 24, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »
I was thinking of updating my XTC collection with the acquisition of the remaster of White Music.

But couldn't I just save 16 bucks by boosting the volume a couple of notches on my current non-remaster disc?

Is a remaster really worth it?  Do you really get to hear better audio, or is it merely a matter of volume knobs?  Enquiring minds want to know.

lily1

Re: Ruminations on Remasters
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »
i don't think remastered albums are worth it unless its from music that was recorded decades ago. for example, old opera or jazz records from the 1920 thru 60's that were remastered to filter out for the recording standards back then. an xtc remastered recording from 20-25 years ago? eh, wasted money.

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chakra:
  I was thinking of updating my XTC collection with the acquisition of the remaster of White Music.

But couldn't I just save 16 bucks by boosting the volume a couple of notches on my current non-remaster disc?
Spend half that.

jbcapati

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »
The Alram recently reissued all of their stuff remastered.  "Eye of the Hurricane" sounds amazing, a definite improvement from the originals.  They are all available on eMusic, otherwise I wouldn't pay usual prices for them.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:

Originally posted by Dupek Chakra:

Spend half that. [/b]
Wowza!  Thanks friend.

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »
Depends.  Do not get the Ozzy remasters where they took off the original bassist and drummer (they wanted their royalties, damn fools!), and put on new crap.  For others they actually are making the sound better, often for early CDs they would take the record master and use that.  Problem is that many record masters were fast (to fit the time of a record side), wildly compressed (for the lower dynamic range of records), or eq'ed for record and so sounded like crap.  So those would make sense to get remastered.  Often it is just a way to get you to buy something you already have.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 05:58:00 pm »
I got it from Newbury.  ...can't take chances, maybe the remaster IS more masterful?

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »
I recently picked up a used copy of the remastered Black Sea. Very nicely done. However, the packaging of the remasters is rather spartan; plain jewels, eight page booklets with repros of the album sleeves and two pages of catalog, w&b spines with a basic sans-serif all-cap font. I wish they had put more thought into the packaging but the sound is better and the bonus tracks are nice.

I had wanted the XTC catalog for a while. I just ordered five titles from  Newbury Comics, all at blowout prices (except the Dukes at 12.85, which is pretty good nonetheless).

Newbury has become my primary online store for CDs. Almost everything is cheaper than everyone else and the sale prices are often "wowza!" Shipping is fairly fast but they often split orders.

As for remastering in general, it's hit or miss, of course, but usually an improvement. The David Sylvian remasters have been the best I've heard. The Dumptrucks sounded strangely reverberant, almost like radio processing, but still punchy. The best reasons to remaster are to make a master appropriate for the medium and to take advantage of improved mastering technologies and techniques.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »
Have you got EXPLODE TOGETHER?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:45:00 pm »
I got the japanese XTC re-issues in 2001 via an online canadian website where they were being sold as regular releases and not imports, so the prices were reasonable.  they came nicely packaged in cardboard sleeves, etc to replicate the original album releases.  they also moved the bonus tracks to the end of the disc...  dunno if those japanese LP versions can still be bought via canada on the cheap, but think i've seen them at CDepot for instance.

i'm mixed on the value of the remasters but the Depeche Mode are great sounding, and what to get the Heaven 17 reissues.
T.Rex

Mobius

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »
The remastered There's A Riot Going On CD is light years better than the original. Truly night and day.  However, I think that had a lot to do with the original CD being poorly mastered (the remastered version probably sounded more like the oringal LP).

The recent Rolling Stones remixes were excellent, especially to hear the improved guitar mixes.  The Dylan remixes were also generally great although I maintain my original Blonde on Blonde.

The remastered Let It Be was a crime against nature . . . but I guess that was more than just a simple remastering [ What was wrong with Phil Spector's work on the original?  And why do some releases of the song Let It Be have different guitar soloes - one fantastic and one weak (the weak one included here)?]

Generally I've found remasters to be a good thing - like watching a movie in high def.  Sometimes, the original mix is fine and the re-mix kills character. I also tend to despise bonus tracks - yeah its more music, but it messes with the continuity.

As for the XTC releases - I have no idea . . .

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 09:43:00 pm »
Is that the one where Phil Spector shot a bullet over John Lennon's head in the studio?  Can you hear the shot?

Lennon reportedly said to Spector: â??Phil, if youâ??re going to kill me, kill me. But donâ??t f*** with me ears. I need â??em.â?

source

Mobius

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 11:26:00 pm »
Not sure - Spector also produced early Lennon solo albums Plastic Ono Band and Imagine (maybe others).  They obviously had a connection - surely they appreciated eachother's genius and insanity.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  Not sure - Spector also produced early Lennon solo albums Plastic Ono Band and Imagine (maybe others).  They obviously had a connection - surely they appreciated eachother's genius and insanity.
Not to mention their affiliations with Ronnie Spector.

If you ever get the opportunity, read her autobiography. It's especially good if you enjoy reading about really bizarre people with it containing a few great Phil moments.    :D    Dupek, you would love it!

K8teebug

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 11:55:00 am »
The remastered Bob Dylan albums are much better than the originals.