Author Topic: What the f is wrong with the President?  (Read 96604 times)

hutch

Re: What the f is wrong with the President?
« Reply #300 on: May 13, 2011, 01:54:08 pm »
that's a battle the USA will never win. (not unlike Vietnam actually, because the Brits weren't there to bale your sorry arses out)

You're welcome again for WWII.

You mean thank you for only getting involved AFTER JAPAN TURNED PEARL HARBOR INTO A CONSTRUCTIONS SITE? Thank you....thanks a lot. Up until then yanks had their fingers in their ears while yelling LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!

Germany beat themselves by fighting on too many fronts at the same time.

can we deport this clown?

i mean really are you friggin serious?

vansmack

« Reply #301 on: May 13, 2011, 02:19:02 pm »
You mean thank you for only getting involved AFTER JAPAN TURNED PEARL HARBOR INTO A CONSTRUCTIONS SITE? Thank you....thanks a lot. Up until then yanks had their fingers in their ears while yelling LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!

First off, you're not playing the proper card.  If you're a true crazy, then shouldn't you be denying the existence of World War II.

Second, it's not my fault that Churchill's argument's weren't compelling enough to get us in earlier.  And truthfully, London could use a makeover at the time.

And thirdly, I would never deport Mankie.  If you don't know he's taking the piss in 90% of his posts then the jokes on you.
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #302 on: May 13, 2011, 02:22:43 pm »
that's a battle the USA will never win. (not unlike Vietnam actually, because the Brits weren't there to bale your sorry arses out)

In the years leading up to WW2, Americans favored a position of isolationism. Surrounded by water on a relatively peaceful continent, America felt secure at home. In trading weapons, America used a Cash and Carry system wherein countries wishing to buy military goods while at war would have to pay up front and carry the goods away in non-American ships, thus avoiding the problems that caused US involvement in WW1.

When Germany invaded Poland on September 1, 1939, Franklin Roosevelt asked Congress to pass the Neutrality Act of 1939, which would allow only cash and carry trade with the belligerents. However, after his 3rd term election in 1940, FDR proposed giving the British aid for the war without cash in return (the Lend-Lease Act) and supplying Britain with $7 billion in aid, stating that America was an "arsenal of democracy." This signaled the beginning of America choosing sides.

However, it was not until the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941 killed 2400 American soldiers that America joined the war effort. America was involved on many fronts of the war. In the Battle of the Atlantic, American ships armed with SONAR took on German ships with torpedoes and suffered tremendous losses, losing 500 ships between January and August of 1942. American infantrymen were first involved in fighting in North Africa, the force later moved up to Italy, forcing a surrender in June of 1944.

Meanwhile, the Soviet Union was the only power consistently challenging the Nazis. Stalin had asked on several occasions for a second front to be opened up, in Western Europe but htere had never been enough manpower. By early 1944 Dwight Eisenhower (commander of the Allied Forces and soon to be president) was planning to invade France by sea. D-Day (June 6, 1944) signaled the beginning of the end for the Nazis and by August Paris had been liberated by combined American and British forces. Americans continued to march through Europe, liberating towns and cities and soon made it to Germany where they were horrified to find the concentration camps that served as integral parts to Hitler's "Jewish Problem".

Even once the war in Europe had been completed with the unconditional surrender of Germany in May 1945, Americans still had to deal with the war in the Pacific. Japan had not surrendered and had no intention of doing so. By 1944 the war had turned against the Japanese and the American technique of island hopping, while sustaining huge losses for the US, was succeeding. America's controversial decision to drop the Atomic Bomb finally ended the war in the Pacific in August, 1945.

No need to apologize...just read a history book...

godsshoeshine

« Reply #303 on: May 13, 2011, 02:23:42 pm »
the u.s. entered wwii right when the lizard people wanted us to
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #304 on: May 13, 2011, 02:23:52 pm »

First off, you're not playing the proper card.  If you're a true crazy, then shouldn't you be denying the existence of World War II.

Second, it's not my fault that Churchill's argument's weren't compelling enough to get us in earlier.  And truthfully, London could use a makeover at the time.

And thirdly, I would never deport Mankie.  If you don't know he's taking the piss in 90% of his posts then the jokes on you.

Besides, I'm as Murrcan as apple pie so aint' goin nowhere...y'all!!!!

hutch

« Reply #305 on: May 13, 2011, 02:27:39 pm »
right o gallagher...the US had nothing to do with the defeat of Germany...give me a break

Relaxer

« Reply #306 on: May 13, 2011, 02:39:42 pm »

words words words

So to summarize, America didn't enter WWII until it had a good reason to. Quelle horreur!
oword

hutch

« Reply #307 on: May 13, 2011, 02:44:15 pm »
i remember reading in churchill's diary "so i turned to fdr and said 'dear sir let us handle the european theater as we have them where we want them...you can concentrate on the pacific'"

where that only true some relatives of mine might still be alive.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #308 on: May 13, 2011, 02:50:41 pm »

words words words

So to summarize, America didn't enter WWII until it had a good reason to. Quelle horreur!

And rightly so for an isolationist country...but don't be under the false pretence that we called for the cavalry and you all came galloping in on your white horses and shining armour. Nobody buys that shit except for Americans..

Shame America doesn't enter conflicts without good reason these days huh?

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #309 on: May 13, 2011, 02:51:37 pm »
i remember reading in churchill's diary "so i turned to fdr and said 'dear sir let us handle the european theater as we have them where we want them...you can concentrate on the pacific'"

...and if you lot had shown up sooner my local fish and chip shop might still be there. What's your point?

wml7

« Reply #310 on: May 13, 2011, 02:53:38 pm »
Are there any good fish and chips places in DC??  Love me some fish and chips  ;D

hutch

« Reply #311 on: May 13, 2011, 02:55:49 pm »

...and if you lot had shown up sooner my local fish and chip shop might still be there. What's your point?

my point ingrate is that were it not for the US you'd be speaking german..

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #312 on: May 13, 2011, 02:58:47 pm »

my point ingrate is that were it not for the US you'd be speaking german..

あなたは琉球を話すだろう

Relaxer

« Reply #313 on: May 13, 2011, 02:59:18 pm »
Well it's about time we had an interesting thread.
oword

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #314 on: May 13, 2011, 03:00:36 pm »
Are there any good fish and chips places in DC??  Love me some fish and chips  ;D

Unfortunately Americans have not quite figured out the art of fish and chips...or beer.