Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1900893 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2445 on: October 25, 2011, 02:47:22 pm »
Eesh.  I don't know why I'm so fascinated by this, but it's incredible.

In his letter to shareholders, Hastings detailed some of the challenges in acquiring content.

He wrote about how licensing deals in the TV and film sectors are typically based on exclusive deals and the rights to a lot of important content are already sewn up by others. As an example, Hastings cited the exclusive online rights that Universal Pictures has sold to HBO. What he doesn't say is that HBO has similar deals with 20th Century Fox and Warner Bros. That's content from three of the top six Hollywood film studios that Netflix can't touch.

With the Starz deal dead, Netflix is without the most-sought after content from five of the six majors.

"Given the existing licensing structure of the cable network industry," Hastings wrote to shareholders, "the total content available will likely remain carved up between Netflix, Showtime, HBO, Hulu, and others."

What he's saying is don't expect too much from us with regard to the latest films from the major studios.

Exclusive deals suck for the consumer, but Netflix is really poorly positioned for the future.

That being said, I don't the movie studios are doing themselves any favors either with this confusing labyrinth of online selections...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2446 on: October 25, 2011, 03:14:11 pm »
I'm not sure if I've been waiting for this since Herbie Fully Loaded, but around then I guess is the "safe" answer:

Lindsay Lohan Strips Down for Playboy for Close to $1M
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2447 on: October 26, 2011, 06:29:39 am »
hey smackie - did you know that amazon gives away one android app for free every day?

Yes, Kosmo and I were talking about it back in March.  Back then I wasn't sold on it, but now I TOTALLY am.  I have well over 60 free apps from them...

What you really need is this the Amazon App Store Reminder.  Seems dumb to pay for something that is free, BUT at 7AM every morning I get a notification that tells me what the Free App of the day is with a link to DL it.  Pays for itself in no time....

I check daily for the Free App, probably get a third of them.   However, the best part of the Free App offer are the reviews.  The moaning about yet another Bejeweled or Tower Defense game, or it won't work on my ancient phone.  The recent active wallpaper app reviews were pretty hilarious as well..

But, the best reviews are by the clueless permissions vigilantes, who suddenly seem to be experts in what permissions they will and wont grant apps.  Most of their analysis's seem way off base.  The best example of cluelessness was over a recent version of the Target app, where everyone was convinced that it was mining all their contacts for nefarious reasons.  The outcry was so great Target had to update and remove a feature.  <insert people is dumb pic>
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #2448 on: October 26, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
The comments are great, especially by the time I wake up - they've already gone the way of the crowd.

That being said, today's app is a gem.  It's MS Office for your smart phone.  I use Google Docs as much as I can but their are limitations.  Definitely pick up today's app, especially if you might own a Google based tablet some day (that's where I get most of my OfficeSuite mileage).
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2449 on: October 26, 2011, 01:45:37 pm »
The comments are great, especially by the time I wake up - they've already gone the way of the crowd.

That being said, today's app is a gem.  It's MS Office for your smart phone.  I use Google Docs as much as I can but their are limitations.  Definitely pick up today's app, especially if you might own a Google based tablet some day (that's where I get most of my OfficeSuite mileage).

so, i haven't bought my new phone yet (still fighting with corp IT, the GSII isn't officially supported yet) - can i DL this now and install later?

edit: i went through the steps of requesting it from Amazon, and it sent me a 1.3 MB .apk file for the Amazon app store, but not the installer for OfficeSuite.  because I've requested it on the website, will the app be sitting in my purchase history?  will i be able to DL it later, once the unhelpdesk allows me to buy my damn phone?
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2450 on: October 26, 2011, 01:58:22 pm »
The vast majority my amazon apps are purchased, but not installed, however, I've purchased all of them via the phone app.

It's easy to check though - go to amazon.com, log into your account and scroll down to "Digital Content"

At the bottom of that list you'll see "Your apps and Devices"

Click that and you should see the app you "purchased" - as long as it's there you can install it from the apk on any phone you sync with that account (up to 10, I think) in perpetuity essentially. So it will be there when you get your new phone as long as you see it in your app list on amazon.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2451 on: October 26, 2011, 02:42:33 pm »
nope, nothing there in Appa & Devices .  i guess you have to install it via the amazon app store to have it show up as "installed".  requests through the website don't work (since that only gets you the app store, not the app itself).
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2452 on: October 26, 2011, 02:58:01 pm »
nope, nothing there in Appa & Devices .  i guess you have to install it via the amazon app store to have it show up as "installed".  requests through the website don't work (since that only gets you the app store, not the app itself).

It looks like you have to have an authorized device.  When I purchase from the web, it asks me which of my devices I would like to send the app to - it look like you can't purchase from the web until you have an authorized device.

I have quite a few Google phones lying around.  I can install the APK on one of them, authorize the APK to work on your Amazon account and that should create your locker.  You can then "purchase" apps in the Amazon store and they will be available when you get your phone if you'd like. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:06:05 pm by vansmack »
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2453 on: October 27, 2011, 09:44:38 am »
Anyone here have an iPad, Android phone, and Windows PCs?  I'm interested to hear how mixing OS's has worked for you.
(o|o)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2454 on: October 27, 2011, 10:47:27 am »
i don't have an android yet, but we have PCs and ipad.  to date, i haven't needed to transfer anything between the ipad and the PCs that couldn't be done over the internet (attach to e-mail).  for the most part we use the ipad as a very pretty dumb terminal: access e-mail (personal and work), stream online content, having fantasy stats up as i watch a football game on the TV, etc.  playing games is maybe the only standalone functionality i use on the ipad.  i couldn't imagine getting any work done on the thing... MS Office docs without a keyboard?  no thanks.

do you have any concerns about mixing OSs?
<sig>

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2455 on: October 27, 2011, 11:03:48 am »
I'm not as concerned about Windows to iOS, mostly about mixing Android and iOS ... I've invested a fair amount of time in getting comfortable with Android apps and I'll need a whole new set of parallel apps for the iPad
(o|o)

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2456 on: October 27, 2011, 11:55:42 am »
i mostly used mine the same way as sweetcell. i'm chained to my thinkpad for anything work related though

twitter, facebook, sportstap, youtube and movies are the only apps i used more than everyone in a while
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2457 on: October 27, 2011, 01:03:54 pm »
I'm not as concerned about Windows to iOS, mostly about mixing Android and iOS ... I've invested a fair amount of time in getting comfortable with Android apps and I'll need a whole new set of parallel apps for the iPad

The features will be different for some, but not all.  They are all fairly close these days in terms of functionality.

The navigation structures are different between the two phones, but neither are very difficult.

The real downside will be for paid apps - you'll have to purchase two versions of the apps.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:06:33 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2458 on: November 09, 2011, 01:19:26 pm »
I made it to hand 100 in last night's WSOP main event.

I'm not sure what the ratings are going to indicate, but ESPN will probably rethink how they did that last night.  Finishing after midnight on the west coast, I doubt many east coast folks watched the final or set their DVR for nearly long enough to see the last hand.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2459 on: November 09, 2011, 01:22:53 pm »
didn't the "kid" win it all on an ace high??!!!