Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1303674 times)

Bags

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1170 on: February 25, 2015, 12:42:25 pm »
So Sleater-Kinney were great.  Just as you'd expect.  As I said to a friend, you don't think you can love Janet Weiss any more, and then you do.

Now, the crowd was surprisingly sedate, lackluster even.  I don't get it.  Anyone else notice this? Isn't this a much anticipated reunion show of a band that just put out another solid album (love a few songs on it, not yet loving the album as a whole, but for me Dig Me Out will likely outshine anything else they do).

It will be interesting to see what the Saturday night Philly show is like.  I am now particularly glad I'm going up for it.

Bags

« Reply #1171 on: February 25, 2015, 12:43:32 pm »
And, Carrie really has become a star.  She looked fantastic in a very cool yet somehow also elegant ensemble.  I'm loving it.

Yada

« Reply #1172 on: February 25, 2015, 12:43:58 pm »
What would you expect from a bunch of uptight DC hipsters???

Bags

« Reply #1173 on: February 25, 2015, 12:48:54 pm »
I might have risen to that bait 10 years ago...but not now.  ;)

Yada

« Reply #1174 on: February 25, 2015, 12:51:36 pm »

It really wasn't bait, but that's been a complaint of mine for years in this ole city. Crowds here tend to be pretty, pretty lame.

Bags

« Reply #1175 on: February 25, 2015, 12:54:00 pm »
I've been to lots of Sleater-Kinney shows, and this was unusual.  I sort of know what you're saying, though I don't agree.  That may well be as much a function of the shows I choose as anything to do with DC generally.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1176 on: February 25, 2015, 12:54:36 pm »

It really wasn't bait, but that's been a complaint of mine for years in this ole city. Crowds here tend to be pretty, pretty lame.

Not always...but they can be. Philly, on the other hand, is going to be great. That city loves their sports and their rawk. If I ever have a chance to see shows up there, I go.

hutch

« Reply #1177 on: February 25, 2015, 01:00:27 pm »
yeah..DC crowds....

watchagonnado...watchagonnado? they're pretty hopeless..definitely noticed at the end how too many people took the first chance to leave instead of asking for another song...

totally agree about Janet Weiss... probably the reason i loved my viewpoint the most was that I could see her drumming from up top... she's phenomenal...my favorite drummer...

Carrie is a star for sure....every time she sang it seemed like the excitement level in the crowd went up... she had way too much makeup on though!

but Corin...its her band ....more than anyone....

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1178 on: February 25, 2015, 01:03:31 pm »
Philly crowd can be dull or really dull....Union Transfer is a great venue though.

It will be interesting to see what the Saturday night Philly show is like.  I am now particularly glad I'm going up for it.
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #1179 on: February 25, 2015, 01:05:14 pm »
Philly crowd can be dull or really dull....Union Transfer is a great venue though.

My main issue with Philly crowds are their crustaches and sweat suits.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1180 on: February 25, 2015, 01:06:08 pm »
Carrie is a star for sure....every time she sang it seemed like the excitement level in the crowd went up... she had way too much makeup on though!
The Portlandia effect.
LVMH

« Reply #1181 on: February 25, 2015, 01:07:26 pm »
Is no one else concerned that seeing Sleater-Kinney is a really supporting something socioeconomically odious in this day and age? The lack of gender or racial diversity in the band is totally retrogressive. I'm surprised any of you can hear their music playing from all the way back there in the 1950s.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1182 on: February 25, 2015, 01:22:50 pm »
Sleater Kinney's show last night didn't have any nostalgia to it.. it wasn't your typical reunion... they just picked up where they left off and kept going....

« Reply #1183 on: February 25, 2015, 01:26:34 pm »
they just picked up where they left off and kept going....
Yeah, and the benefit of time passing IN NO WAY affected their utter lack of ethno-gender diversity. A black man can be President of the United States of America but he can't be in Sleater-Kinney. In 2015. In America.

Good luck selling all that to the youth of today.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1184 on: February 25, 2015, 01:28:37 pm »
they just picked up where they left off and kept going....
Yeah, and the benefit of time passing IN NO WAY affected their utter lack of ethno-gender diversity. A black man can be President of the United States of America but he can't be in Sleater-Kinney. In 2015. In America.

Good luck selling all that to the youth of today.

sorry to report they doubled down; they have a "fourth person" helping out on a few songs on percussion, guitar etc.. and...you guessed it:  a white female..