Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1303753 times)

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1380 on: June 15, 2015, 06:46:22 am »
anyone else make it to either prince show?

i was at the 8:00 and had a blast, but i do feel we got cheated a bit due to the late show. i havent compared setlists, but the 8:00 show wasnt quite two hours and i know hes capable of much more. plus the 11:00 apparently had stevie wonder as a guest. i would have gone to the late show if id had the choice, but i wasnt gonna risk getting shut out completely by holding out for a late show to pop up. ive been following prince for long enough by now to know to take the frustration with the moments of brilliance

and the show itself was brilliant. id been waiting pretty much my entire music collecting life to finally see him, and he delivered on all the hype. fun show.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:48:45 am by gaaaaaaaaah »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1381 on: June 15, 2015, 08:49:23 am »
In true 9:30 fashion, shouldn't people be raging openly that the late show wasn't announced at the same time and they were therefore "tricked" into buying tickets to the "lesser" show?

i was at the 8:00 and had a blast, but i do feel we got cheated a bit due to the late show. i havent compared setlists, but the 8:00 show wasnt quite two hours and i know hes capable of much more. plus the 11:00 apparently had stevie wonder as a guest. i would have gone to the late show if id had the choice, but i wasnt gonna risk getting shut out completely by holding out for a late show to pop up.

There it is. Took a few days.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #1382 on: June 15, 2015, 09:04:59 am »

i was at the 8:00 and had a blast, but i do feel we got cheated a bit due to the late show. i havent compared setlists, but the 8:00 show wasnt quite two hours and i know hes capable of much more. plus the 11:00 apparently had stevie wonder as a guest. i would have gone to the late show if id had the choice, but i wasnt gonna risk getting shut out completely by holding out for a late show to pop up. ive been following prince for long enough by now to know to take the frustration with the moments of brilliance

and the show itself was brilliant. id been waiting pretty much my entire music collecting life to finally see him, and he delivered on all the hype. fun show.

I'm sure I'll regret it but I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on those tickets. I checked online around 4pm and everything was out of the range I wanted to pay.

I did see Courtney Barnett on Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. For a sold out show, I was perplexed by the large amount of space I had.

« Reply #1383 on: June 15, 2015, 09:11:43 am »

I did see Courtney Barnett on Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it. For a sold out show, I was perplexed by the large amount of space I had.

agreed...but she tends to attract a smaller (body mass wise) crowd
also made the sight lines great

slack

Yada

« Reply #1384 on: June 15, 2015, 09:15:43 am »

Heh... I did think about that as I was swarmed by about five 15 year old girls and a group of dudes who's combined BMI was probably about 14.

« Reply #1385 on: June 15, 2015, 09:21:40 am »

I totally think larger patrons should be charged a surcharge at the door for taking up more space. They're using more of the finite resources available. Forward thinking airlines are doing this; why not music venues. For too long the fat have gotten a free ride.
LVMH

« Reply #1386 on: June 15, 2015, 09:36:39 am »

I totally think larger patrons should be charged a surcharge at the door for taking up more space. They're using more of the finite resources available. Forward thinking airlines are doing this; why not music venues. For too long the fat have gotten a free ride.

Height should be a factor too.
goth dudes tend to be the tallest for some reason?

and yeah a free ride to Diabeeetus type 2
slack

« Reply #1387 on: June 15, 2015, 09:39:40 am »
Height should be a factor too.
goth dudes tend to be the tallest for some reason?
Height is not, in a practical sense, a finite resource unless someone comes in who is 40' tall or however high the roof is. Square footage DOES get filled and it gets filled quicker when hambeasts come to concerts.
LVMH

moeszyslak

« Reply #1388 on: June 15, 2015, 09:45:26 am »

I made it to the 8 PM show as well.  From what I can tell, it looks like Stevie Wonder was brought out during the 11 PM show. 

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1389 on: June 15, 2015, 10:11:41 am »
Prince is still the King of Medleys. He probably did 8 full songs in that 1 hr 45 minute set. Crowd doesn't care though. Good show nonetheless, but I wouldn't put it anywhere in my top 40 shows for this year.
(_|_)

lily1

« Reply #1390 on: June 15, 2015, 10:19:16 am »
I've seen Prince several times and he is wildly inconsistent with his live shows. And I say this as someone who is a huge fan and was a member of his local fan club, LoveSexyDC, for years. 

I couldn't fathom paying those prices for a show that was going to be a gamble.  Even in a smaller venue with a new band.  The smallest venue I saw him in was the old Capitol ballroom in the late 90's. That show was utter shit too.  In contrast, if you pay $400 for Springsteen you are guaranteed a solid quality 3 hour show. Not that Springsteen charges $400 for tickets.

(For the record I would never pay $400. Even U2 who is my favorite band ever and where I've been known to fly 3000 miles for their concerts.)

lily1

« Reply #1391 on: June 15, 2015, 10:22:22 am »
Prince is still the King of Medleys. He probably did 8 full songs in that 1 hr 45 minute set. Crowd doesn't care though. Good show nonetheless, but I wouldn't put it anywhere in my top 40 shows for this year.

Medleys need to go away forever like Uggs.  Why can't musicians just play the whole damn song?

bearman🐻

« Reply #1392 on: June 15, 2015, 10:23:59 am »

Medleys need to go away forever like Uggs.  Why can't musicians just play the whole damn song?

Agreed!!

Yada

« Reply #1393 on: June 15, 2015, 10:53:57 am »

A+

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #1394 on: June 15, 2015, 10:54:58 am »

Thanks for this.