Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1303658 times)

killsaly

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1665 on: October 06, 2015, 08:25:23 pm »
Killsaly's pics are great.  Thanks for posting them.
no problem!

Those were just a few of the 350 that I took the weekend.

Space Freely

« Reply #1666 on: October 07, 2015, 09:18:05 am »
Oh what the hell, I'll take the time to banter about a show that I'm pretty certain I was actually at, there are witnesses.

My decidedly not a soccer mom, Starbucks loving, never heard of Frank Turner wife warned me that I was bound to fall asleep at the Luna show, but alas I did not! Solid, fun show from the band. Wish they had played Bonnie and Clyde and IHOP, but nice set list nonetheless.

My favorite stage banter was when Deaner told the story about doing lines of blow off of a groupie's chest at the old 9:30 with members of Galaxie 500 and Minor Threat. And then years later doing blow off of the same groupie's somewhat saggier chest at the new 9:30 with members of Luna and Fugazi. I also enjoyed Britta's story about running into Frank Turner buying a case of asparagus water at the Bowery Whole Foods. The guitarist wasn't able to string together a coherent story, try as he might, but he did deliver some nice guitar licks. The weird thing is that I've heard that the drummer does almost all of the talking in the Mercedes tour van.

Luna seem like they would be a Julian-approved band, as Dean and Britta can't possibly weight more than a combined 225 between them. And it seems like their tv viewing habits would be strictly limited to prestige tv only. That's assuming they even own a tv. It's quite possible Deaner spends all of his spare time reading first edition books to their cats, while Britta meticulously plans the salad-only bi-weekly shared family meal.

But the true joy of the evening was felt offstage. First, thanks to Vas for hooking me up with a free ticket. It's always a pleasure seeing you, Vas. But there's even more...I got to meet the legendary Bearman, who is every bit as sweet and genuine as he appears on this forum. And wait, there's even more. Toward the end of the show, a crazy haired guy and his entourage of merry bald (sorry, follically-challenged) men came bopping past me. Holy cow, Jesse Eisenberg is at the Luna show. But wait, this guy is too tall to be Jesse, and the other guys are too bald to be Jesse's girls. Bearman exclaimed, "That must be Hutch, with the hair." I was a bit skeptical at first, as he wasn't wearing his signature Member's Only jacket. But when he pulled two LP's out of his NPR totebag and started frantically waving them at the band as they left the stage, hoping to get them signed, I knew FOR SURE it was Hutch. Somebody mentioned that Sidehutch was part of the entourage, but true to his name, Sidehutch was so non-descript that he barely registered. Note to Sidehutch: If you want to get the attention you deserve, you need to start your own band. Or at least get something catchy tattooed in Helvetica to your forehead, like "I Hate Sports", or "Not a Bigot".

I'm a but tired from being out and up so late, but the tiredness is well worth it.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1667 on: October 07, 2015, 09:19:20 am »
I thought the Luna show was excellent. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing Vas Deferens again, and Bagley and Space Freely I'm very glad I got to meet you guys as well. Sorry that I didn't stick around longer, I've been recovering from a nasty cold and the fact that I made it out at all is sort of miraculous. Hutch, I saw you too but you were most definitely a man on a mission.

I was really happy to hear "Lost in Space" and "Bobby Peru", which have not been played on all the dates. "Malibu Love Nest" holds up just as strongly with the older material. "Time to Quit" was fun too. And "Tracy I Love You" is one of my favorites. My one big gripe (as Bagley mentioned) is the ridiculous amount of loud talkers. I'm happy I didn't have to deal with them so much in the front, but by the bar it was just awful. Thankfully it was a decent turnout and the folks at the front of the stage were far more respectful of the music. I'm going to the Boston gig and it's been sold out for some time. Hoping the Bostonians are a good crowd.  

Yada

« Reply #1668 on: October 07, 2015, 09:31:49 am »
Oh what the hell, I'll take the time to banter about a show that I'm pretty certain I was actually at, there are witnesses.

My decidedly not a soccer mom, Starbucks loving, never heard of Frank Turner wife warned me that I was bound to fall asleep at the Luna show, but alas I did not! Solid, fun show from the band. Wish they had played Bonnie and Clyde and IHOP, but nice set list nonetheless.

My favorite stage banter was when Deaner told the story about doing lines of blow off of a groupie's chest at the old 9:30 with members of Galaxie 500 and Minor Threat. And then years later doing blow off of the same groupie's somewhat saggier chest at the new 9:30 with members of Luna and Fugazi. I also enjoyed Britta's story about running into Frank Turner buying a case of asparagus water at the Bowery Whole Foods. The guitarist wasn't able to string together a coherent story, try as he might, but he did deliver some nice guitar licks. The weird thing is that I've heard that the drummer does almost all of the talking in the Mercedes tour van.

Luna seem like they would be a Julian-approved band, as Dean and Britta can't possibly weight more than a combined 225 between them. And it seems like their tv viewing habits would be strictly limited to prestige tv only. That's assuming they even own a tv. It's quite possible Deaner spends all of his spare time reading first edition books to their cats, while Britta meticulously plans the salad-only bi-weekly shared family meal.

But the true joy of the evening was felt offstage. First, thanks to Vas for hooking me up with a free ticket. It's always a pleasure seeing you, Vas. But there's even more...I got to meet the legendary Bearman, who is every bit as sweet and genuine as he appears on this forum. And wait, there's even more. Toward the end of the show, a crazy haired guy and his entourage of merry bald (sorry, follically-challenged) men came bopping past me. Holy cow, Jesse Eisenberg is at the Luna show. But wait, this guy is too tall to be Jesse, and the other guys are too bald to be Jesse's girls. Bearman exclaimed, "That must be Hutch, with the hair." I was a bit skeptical at first, as he wasn't wearing his signature Member's Only jacket. But when he pulled two LP's out of his NPR totebag and started frantically waving them at the band as they left the stage, hoping to get them signed, I knew FOR SURE it was Hutch. Somebody mentioned that Sidehutch was part of the entourage, but true to his name, Sidehutch was so non-descript that he barely registered. Note to Sidehutch: If you want to get the attention you deserve, you need to start your own band. Or at least get something catchy tattooed in Helvetica to your forehead, like "I Hate Sports", or "Not a Bigot".

I'm a but tired from being out and up so late, but the tiredness is well worth it.

A+, would read again.

hutch

« Reply #1669 on: October 07, 2015, 10:46:17 am »
Toward the end of the show, a crazy haired guy and his entourage of merry bald (sorry, follically-challenged) men came bopping past me. Holy cow, Jesse Eisenberg is at the Luna show. But wait, this guy is too tall to be Jesse, and the other guys are too bald to be Jesse's girls. Bearman exclaimed, "That must be Hutch, with the hair." I was a bit skeptical at first, as he wasn't wearing his signature Member's Only jacket. But when he pulled two LP's out of his NPR totebag and started frantically waving them at the band as they left the stage, hoping to get them signed, I knew FOR SURE it was Hutch. Somebody mentioned that Sidehutch was part of the entourage, but true to his name, Sidehutch was so non-descript that he barely registered. Note to Sidehutch: If you want to get the attention you deserve, you need to start your own band. Or at least get something catchy tattooed in Helvetica to your forehead, like "I Hate Sports", or "Not a Bigot".

;D ;D ;D

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1670 on: October 07, 2015, 10:47:33 am »

POTW
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #1671 on: October 07, 2015, 10:50:49 am »
what we really want to know, who was buying beers last night? Hutch or sidehutch?

hutch

« Reply #1672 on: October 07, 2015, 10:59:12 am »

bearman🐻

« Reply #1673 on: October 07, 2015, 11:07:56 am »
But there's even more...I got to meet the legendary Bearman, who is every bit as sweet and genuine as he appears on this forum.

Sweet? Legendary? Boy did I have you fooled!  :P You caught me on a good night. I've had my not-so sweet moments. Usually it involves people not respecting space or just acting douchey. And it's always at the shows when you think people would be the most complacent, like AIR or Radiohead. I've actually found most of the boardies I've met to be pretty awesome people. They love music, they're true fans, and even when they're just checking out a band they keep a pretty open mind. For being musical elitists, we still don't judge TOO harshly and I like that. Next time there's a big weekend show there should definitely be a backbar meetup. Space, your posts are incredibly entertaining. Now I've got images of Dean and Britta reading to their cats while picking the remains of kale and squash salad out of their teeth.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1674 on: October 07, 2015, 11:08:32 am »
Yay Hutch! I was hoping that you got them to sign that. Very cool.

ggw

« Reply #1675 on: October 07, 2015, 11:43:45 am »
My favorite stage banter was when Deaner told the story about doing lines of blow off of a groupie's chest at the old 9:30 with members of Galaxie 500 and Minor Threat. And then years later doing blow off of the same groupie's somewhat saggier chest at the new 9:30 with members of Luna and Fugazi. I also enjoyed Britta's story about running into Frank Turner buying a case of asparagus water at the Bowery Whole Foods.

Funny.  I used to occasionally see Ian Mackaye at the Clarendon Whole Foods, looking decidedly un-punk as he perused heirloom gourds and artisanal fromage.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1676 on: October 07, 2015, 11:52:24 am »
good meeting you again bearman...and Space Freely (aka the former shit talker/twice-thrice banned Charlie N).

Dean's vocals on "Season of the Witch" was just tremendous. Definitely one of the musical highlights of 2015.  ;D

I thought the Luna show was excellent. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing Vas Deferens again, and Bagley and Space Freely I'm very glad I got to meet you guys as well. Sorry that I didn't stick around longer, I've been recovering from a nasty cold and the fact that I made it out at all is sort of miraculous. Hutch, I saw you too but you were most definitely a man on a mission.

I was really happy to hear "Lost in Space" and "Bobby Peru", which have not been played on all the dates. "Malibu Love Nest" holds up just as strongly with the older material. "Time to Quit" was fun too. And "Tracy I Love You" is one of my favorites. My one big gripe (as Bagley mentioned) is the ridiculous amount of loud talkers. I'm happy I didn't have to deal with them so much in the front, but by the bar it was just awful. Thankfully it was a decent turnout and the folks at the front of the stage were far more respectful of the music. I'm going to the Boston gig and it's been sold out for some time. Hoping the Bostonians are a good crowd.  
(_|_)

« Reply #1677 on: October 07, 2015, 02:36:59 pm »
great show by luna!
I did go downstairs to the backbar during the encore (I know !!!) and never came backup

but had another fantastic night at the club
ended up having about 10 of my friends make it out to the show, which is a first in like 10 or so years (we all used to go to tons of shows when they were in their 20s/30s)
I never stopped

Band was really tight and the sound was great
Don't recall the Frank Turner turner comment, but I did drink a lot

and by the way Hutch and I both bought pitchers at the American Ice Co before the show
So we went evensteven going in

Didn't spot any of the boardies, but knew they were amongst us

slack

Kubacheck

« Reply #1678 on: October 07, 2015, 07:54:04 pm »
I stayed in the back wondering which of the people going past me were people I'd recognize (name-wise) from here....  great show, though, lots of fun, and the people who had never heard of Luna that came to see the band because I've been raving about them for years were suitably impressed.....

Kubacheck

« Reply #1679 on: October 07, 2015, 07:55:30 pm »
.......I'm going to the Boston gig and it's been sold out for some time. Hoping the Bostonians are a good crowd.  

you weren't by any chance wearing a Feelies t-shirt, were you?