Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1303787 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2265 on: October 04, 2016, 08:35:38 am »
A huuugggeee thank you to Relaxer for the Green Day ticket and for putting up with my many stories. He's a great listener and had me on a roll. I had so much fun and it's easy to get carried away. Super cool to connect and it just shows that we are all pretty darn good folks. Well, most of us (haha). Green Day really was great. Truly one of those special nights at the Club. Plus, I loved watching Seth rock out the entire evening. I really couldn't have been happier with the setlist. They know their audience and the crowd was for the most part really enthusiastic and happy to be there. A couple knuckleheads here and there but for the most part everyone paid attention to etiquette and it wasn't until the end that people took their phones out for photos. I like that the band requested everyone just put the phone away. It was actually nice to see people just watch and enjoy a show. And it was a really nice variety of people too. Relaxer, thanks again for making last night possible. I had a blast.

Relaxer

« Reply #2266 on: October 04, 2016, 10:46:59 am »
Hey, it was my pleasure, great to meet you too Bearman. I can geek out on music talk for HOURS.

Also concur with the show being great. People all around us were having so much fun. I was telling Bear that it's really remarkable how a late 80s socal-style punk band, one of hundreds of other bands that started out the same way, became this American Rock Institution with a long catalog of radio hits. Much of it goes to Billy Joe. Dude is a rock star. Sometimes it's a little cloying and obvious and on-the-nose, but the guy writes big catchy songs and he gives it everything on stage. They sounded great, the song selection was perfect, and it was worth $75 for sure.
oword

bearman🐻

« Reply #2267 on: October 04, 2016, 11:13:51 am »
Hey, it was my pleasure, great to meet you too Bearman. I can geek out on music talk for HOURS.

Also concur with the show being great. People all around us were having so much fun. I was telling Bear that it's really remarkable how a late 80s socal-style punk band, one of hundreds of other bands that started out the same way, became this American Rock Institution with a long catalog of radio hits. Much of it goes to Billy Joe. Dude is a rock star. Sometimes it's a little cloying and obvious and on-the-nose, but the guy writes big catchy songs and he gives it everything on stage. They sounded great, the song selection was perfect, and it was worth $75 for sure.

All good points. I totally agree about the cloying and obvious part...but at the same time, there are so few really big rock bands left out there that have that kind of catalog and are still going strong. So it's kind of an odd balance one has to hit: pleasing the fans, trying to do new things, staying true to yourself but finding out how to stay relevant too. Radiohead are the masters of that: critical darlings, they can sell out arenas anywhere in the world, and every time they release something people go nuts. But they also haven't sold 10,000,000 copies of one of their LPs, and that puts a different kind of pressure and expectation on a band. I really did enjoy the new Green Day tunes. 4 of them seemed just right to me. I was also happy that it wasn't uncomfortably sold out.

Space Freely

« Reply #2268 on: October 04, 2016, 11:32:09 am »
What I want to know was did Hutch get any of the shit he was carrying around in his NPR totebag signed last night?

hutch

« Reply #2269 on: October 04, 2016, 11:39:18 am »
What I want to know was did Hutch get any of the shit he was carrying around in his NPR totebag signed last night?

oh I did not go... I'm not a big fan...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2270 on: October 04, 2016, 11:39:46 am »

Also, it was impossible to get tickets.

hutch

« Reply #2271 on: October 04, 2016, 11:44:02 am »

Also, it was impossible to get tickets.

can't speak to that as I did not try... had I tried I'm fairly confident I would have scored as my ticket kungfu is pretty strong...

K8teebug

« Reply #2272 on: October 04, 2016, 12:41:02 pm »
Glad to hear it was fun and I hope that more bands encourage people to put their phones the f down.

bob72

« Reply #2273 on: October 04, 2016, 08:34:57 pm »
So it's kind of an odd balance one has to hit: pleasing the fans, trying to do new things, staying true to yourself but finding out how to stay relevant too.
I'm curious: did any of you have a chance to see them pre-Dookie (or even once it was released)? I do like Green Day and own the majority of their catalog, and I saw them once in 1992. I wanted to go to this show, but what stopped me was my one criticism of the band: they sound exactly the same as the did in 1992. Sure their lyrical subject matter is more mature and the recorded material is more polished, but the short of it is I don't feel like there's been much creative progression beyond that. I mean you can only do so much with power chords.

Maybe I expect too much in my old age.

Does this describe the show? Or do you think they have upped the ante over the last 25 years?
PENIS

hutch

« Reply #2274 on: October 04, 2016, 08:49:00 pm »
^many bands I BEG FOR NO PROGRESSION

like the day AC/DC incorporates electronica or strings is the day I blow my head off..

bob72

« Reply #2275 on: October 04, 2016, 08:59:22 pm »
^many bands I BEG FOR NO PROGRESSION

like the day AC/DC incorporates electronica or strings is the day I blow my head off..
no, I'm not talking about a 180 like that. AC/DC with electronica would be ridiculous.

PENIS

bearman🐻

« Reply #2276 on: October 05, 2016, 08:02:05 am »
So it's kind of an odd balance one has to hit: pleasing the fans, trying to do new things, staying true to yourself but finding out how to stay relevant too.
I'm curious: did any of you have a chance to see them pre-Dookie (or even once it was released)? I do like Green Day and own the majority of their catalog, and I saw them once in 1992. I wanted to go to this show, but what stopped me was my one criticism of the band: they sound exactly the same as the did in 1992. Sure their lyrical subject matter is more mature and the recorded material is more polished, but the short of it is I don't feel like there's been much creative progression beyond that. I mean you can only do so much with power chords.

Does this describe the show? Or do you think they have upped the ante over the last 25 years?

There were 3 other musicians on stage, playing guitar or keyboards or saxophone or accordion. But they still sound like Green Day. Hard to say if that would be what you're looking for, but I think you would probably think they have progressed somewhat. Plus, they play their songs but maybe embellish a bit here and there. It's more of a rock show...not just blast through the songs. I don't know what they were like in 1992, but it's a 2 hour and 15 minute show...not 45 minutes a la Ramones, who stuck to their guns and even at the end were just blasting through their sets.

Relaxer

« Reply #2277 on: October 05, 2016, 09:13:28 am »

I think GD has definitely evolved. I think their pre-Dookie music is just fine but it sounds to me the same as all of those socal pop-punk bands like Adolescents, DI, Angry Samoans, Doggy Style, Descendants, etc. Dookie just happened to be catchy and well-produced enough to take off and sell a billion copies.

But consider that 10 years after Dookie, they put out American Idiot, which was another huge hit. And to me, there's a whole lot of space between Dookie and AI. For one thing, there's two songs on AI that are more than 9 minutes long -- and in my opinion, they're the high point of the album. And the subject material is very different. I think the "politics" of AI are as deep as a bumper sticker, but they're addressing different themes than getting high and jerking off.

Ultimately, they're a guitar-based trio playing loud rock. I personally think they've evolved and experimented a fair amount while not losing their sound, the end.
oword

hutch

« Reply #2278 on: October 05, 2016, 01:01:17 pm »
did they play "time of your life"? or whatever its called..

god i hate that song so much.

Relaxer

« Reply #2279 on: October 05, 2016, 01:08:26 pm »
did they play "time of your life"? or whatever its called..

god i hate that song so much.

I'd peeked at previous setlists and saw that the 2nd encore was Billy Joe and an acoustic playing this song. So as soon as they finished their first encore, I told Bearman I was peacing out because I too hate that song and didn't think I could stomach BJ being all earnest and sensitive and acoustic.
oword