Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1303698 times)

Starsky

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4575 on: September 22, 2022, 08:11:54 am »

Starsky

« Reply #4576 on: September 22, 2022, 08:12:50 am »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4577 on: September 26, 2022, 11:14:32 am »
Can't remember the last time I saw three shows in a week's time or even back to back shows...

Yola put another great and fun show, it helps that I'm smitten with her self proclaimed "Genre Fluid" sound and records.  Her band was tight, just a great evening all around.

Heaven 17 was a total bucket list show for me, never thought I'd seen them live so had to go to this one for sure.  I'll say it's bit strange to see dance music Synth band at the Birchmere on a Sunday night.  While the show was hit filled along with some stories about the songs along the way, kinda wish they hadn't waited 40 years to tour here, as Glen Gregory's voice isn't nearly smooth as it once was.  Although, it didn't help that apparently he woke up unable to talk and admitted to being horse come showtime, so guess I'll have to take what we could get  Hopefully, he'll be drinking his tea for the future shows.

Regardless, Martyn Ware and the two backup singers were in fine voice and we did get a  great rendition of "Temptation" along the way. Apparently the beef between Heaven 17 and the Phil Oakey is still strong as a couple comments were passed along the way. 

Show was about half full and I guess when you fall of the scene for a good part of 25 years, the casual US fan is probably going to lose interest.  Would I see them again, probably not unless they were on a really strong festival type show.  Would be great if they do  co-headline tour with their old Sheffield pal Martin Frye (ABC).
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #4578 on: September 26, 2022, 11:19:15 am »
Gregory sounded great at the Bowie tribute show at Birchmere but that was more than six years ago….at a certain age the voice can only do so much….although Neil Tennant-maybe cause he speak sings- sounded incredible

Did you try and get your record signed?

« Reply #4579 on: September 26, 2022, 11:22:15 am »
I'll say it's bit strange to see dance music Synth band at the Birchmere on a Sunday night.   as Glen Gregory's voice isn't nearly smooth as it once was.
actaully caught Glen fronting the last living spiders from mars at the birchmere to do Bowie's the man who sold the world
just a week or so after bowies death
was quite amazing and he did such a good job
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4580 on: September 26, 2022, 11:59:20 am »
Gregory sounded great at the Bowie tribute show at Birchmere but that was more than six years ago….at a certain age the voice can only do so much….although Neil Tennant-maybe cause he speak sings- sounded incredible

Did you try and get your record signed?

I got them to sign the poster that came with the "This Is Mine" 12" single and got a great story from them out of it.  They were hanging out in a hotel room after an event with Johnny Lydon and got him to call into a radio program which was holding a sound alike contest and had him pretend to be himself.  Needless to say the DJ said it was a rubbish imitation of Mr. Lydon and dismissed it, I can only imagine the howls of laughter as they were probably well past it based on the picture that was on the poster of the scene.

Overall really down to earth guys and clearly enjoying the chance to interact with fans and tell the stories about the songs and their exploits growing up in Sheffield.
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #4581 on: September 26, 2022, 12:05:47 pm »
Nice! I love those type of shows and experiences!!

« Reply #4582 on: September 26, 2022, 12:10:19 pm »
as they were probably well past it based on the picture that was on the poster of the scene.

sounds great!
I tried to find an image of that poster, but was unsuccessful, can you share
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4583 on: September 26, 2022, 01:14:10 pm »
Signed poster and it's the picture in the lower left hand corner of I believe Ian Marsh wrapped up in the Hotel room which sparked the story.  Martyn said he hadn't seen this poster in years....

T.Rex

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4584 on: October 02, 2022, 10:25:30 pm »
OMG the "first concert girl" at Morcheeba!

Starsky

« Reply #4585 on: October 02, 2022, 10:51:38 pm »
Where are the KC and the Sunshine Band reviews?!??!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4586 on: October 03, 2022, 12:00:47 am »

??
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4587 on: October 03, 2022, 09:53:18 am »
I was in redneck MD this weekend and stumbled into a bar with quite possibly the best bar band I've ever stumbled upon...

https://www.billypierce.com

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4588 on: October 03, 2022, 11:27:18 am »

??

Great show at the Lincoln last night. Got there early to snag a 2nd row center seat.

Early in the show, an 11-year old girl walked to the front with a sign saying "1st Concert Ever" She eventually got noticed, and was pulled up on stage by Skye for a full song.

Other highlights:

Snippets of "Slim Shady" and "Let's Dance", as Skye grew increasingly frustrated with the restrained, seated DC audience.  Crowd finally woke up late in the show. I *almost* decided to wear my red shoes, but opted for black.

Skye complained about being 50-years old when she *couldn't quite* manage to do the splits at the end of a song. She asked who else in the crowd was 50. I raised my hand (53, to be fair) and she pointed directly at me and shouted "No way!"

Shoutout to the guy who bought the band a round of tequila shots. Skye had to take off her platform heels after that, and the band really loosened up.

I hung out at the stage for maybe 2 minutes after the show. Ross came out and handed me Skye's setlist :)

5 tracks from Big Calm, a bunch of crowd favorites and a cover of Gimme Shelter. Fantastic show all around.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/morcheeba/2022/lincoln-theatre-washington-dc-2bb1dc5a.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 11:36:40 am by grateful »

Starsky

« Reply #4589 on: October 03, 2022, 11:30:23 am »
Nice!

Now I will kick myself