Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1303697 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4980 on: June 28, 2023, 05:59:46 pm »
All the more reason for the daily weight check-in!

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4981 on: June 28, 2023, 06:47:36 pm »
All the more reason for the daily weight check-in!

Twice a week is better. Every day just drives people crazy because of small and natural fluctuations.
😐 🎶

Hutch

« Reply #4982 on: June 29, 2023, 10:44:53 am »
Went to Jeff Tweedy last night. For context: Uncle Tupelo and Wilco were important bands for me and friends 1996-2001. After Jay Bennett was unceremoniously fired (and they made a movie about it) I was pretty ticked off for many years. While super talented I can’t stand Nels Cline (I mean his guitar playing style). But I enjoyed Wilco (the Album) and saw then again around then and then quite a few times after. I realized how much I still enjoyed hearing stuff from Being there, Summerteeth, Mermaid sessions, and YHF live (even if it would have been better if they had not scrapped the Jay Bennett production in favor of O’rourke). I haven’t paid that much attention to Tweedy’s solo stuff, Band with his kid, or even Wilco’s last few albums (I bought Ode and Wilco Schmilco). Anyhow I think I seen Wilco live 9 or 10 times from 1996 at 9:30 to their Anthem show.

But I had never seen Tweedy solo. It didn’t sound terribly appealing… however, when I saw he was playing Atlantis I thought to myself “Hey this sounds like a great opportunity to do something different and get up close.”

Based on my Hot Chip and Pixies experience I knew getting to show early paid off so with doors opened at 6:30 I got there at 7. I got commemorative ticket stub 151 (for Pixies it was 160 and Hot Chip, 379). A newer and much younger friend who is a huge Wilco fan got my extra as all my older friends whom I saw those legendary shows in the 90s with were out of town, they are dealing with a huge personal crisis, had parental responsibilities like going to kids ballgames. Anyways I can only handle so much rejection so ticket went to someone who really wanted it. Some of my friends you literally feel bad offering them tickets cause you make them feel bad about not being able to have a life. This guy had been at the Tweedy 930 show night before.

Anyways he got there at 6:50 (nice change from when I meet people who are always late. I am always on time to a fault). He was super excited. Went in and walked to about fourth row centerish. Like Pixies, incredibly respectful people as far as space and it was roomy up front!  Drank beers until opener went on. Really cool new folk act Le Ren sounding a bit like Joni, Kate Bush and Margo Timmins. Really funny banter. Intermission then Tweedy comes out. Based on Yada review from night before I expected him to look like warmed over death. Surprise he looks fantastic! WTF Yada? Yeah he is a big guy…solid build but no he doesn’t look like Robert Smith! Anyways he starts talking…his humor with that self deprecating wit and sweet shucks demeanor is funny as hell…yes, I suspect it’s a bit of an act (the guy has to be ruthless and smart as hell). He made a lot of jokes about the night before but it was all kind of exaggerated made up stuff (although probably kidding on the square). Anyways he starts playing all these songs a few of which I have never heard or don’t recognize interspersed with known ones to me. Started with a Mermaid song I love. And it was just masterful. I noted ONE clam or bum note the entire show.The crowd was enraptured. At one point early Jeff pulls out this huge list of all the IMP shows he played and tells about how they opened for this act and that act including three times opening at the old 930 including the Dead Milkmen (Walkie!) and Teenage Fanclub (he was rightly proud) and other cool acts I am spacing and says “and then my band broke up!” So he was talking about Tupelo! Anyhow my young friend, after during the next between song patter Tweedy refers to the huge list again yells out “Did Wilco play the old 930!” Cringe! You could tell Tweedy was a bit in jest wounded anyone would ask that “Of course! Haven’t you been paying attention!!”  It was all pretty funny but you had to be there

It had been decades since I saw so few phones being used to take pics. It just isn’t done here clearly until this one bozo wearing a Wilco hat gets out his phone and right in front of Jeff can’t help himself and holds phone up and films California Stars. Loser. I thought I noticed a reproving look on Jeff’s face. He didn’t play Via Chicago (most requested at end), Heavy metal drummer, or Summerteeth (instead throwing out another song from that album). And then show was over and he left. I noticed the filming loser waving a Wilco live 1996 album around half heartedly to try and get it signed but he lacked the guts to yell @Hey Jeff sorry I filmed California Stars but can you sign this…” My friend just ate up the show and even bought me an Atlantis poster while I went to restroom. I ran into Bagley which was great as it had been a while.

Show was probably about 15 minutes too short. I was home in Virginia by 11!!

Didn’t notice large BMIs …in fact lots of slim people…probably the beautiful people made this their Tweedy show and left the 930 to the peons

Props to a nice bartender who knew what he was doing.

I couldn’t get wifi automatically but people around me seemed to be using it..not sure if they had to click on a network

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yY18-OVBh5Y
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 12:06:03 pm by Hutch »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4983 on: June 29, 2023, 12:03:43 pm »
Rumors abound that Atlantis now has wifi!

shemptiness

« Reply #4984 on: June 29, 2023, 12:12:25 pm »
Sorry to miss you, Hutch.  Were you sporting your trademark chapeau? First time at the Atlantis - cool little spot. Will have to arrive earlier next time though.  Got in before LeRen went on and we were still 3 deep upstairs. Caught the rest of the show at the back bar downstairs, exchanging pleasantries with the guitar player from LeRen. Jeff's banter was entertaining as usual.  'Art of Almost' was a highlight for me.

Hutch

« Reply #4985 on: June 29, 2023, 12:19:40 pm »
No I was wearing a Wilco cap…darn

I feel Atlantis is a venue one has to arrive reasonably early to secure a nice spot….someone told me you really want to be within the first 300 and you should be fine…. I think that’s probably right…what was your ticket number?

I feel like on the floor if people packed in a bit more up front it would really help. Maybe after these initial 44 shows people will do so…obviously with the big name acts people act like their spot near the stage is holy ground that must not be infringed on

Yada

« Reply #4986 on: June 29, 2023, 12:31:39 pm »
My Atlantis secret...

That little fake barrier they put in front of the soundboard that is like a cheap red carpet pull out fence-y thing. Stand in front of that and then slowly push it back.  :o :o :o :o

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #4987 on: June 29, 2023, 01:02:24 pm »
My Atlantis secret...

That little fake barrier they put in front of the soundboard that is like a cheap red carpet pull out fence-y thing. Stand in front of that and then slowly push it back.  :o :o :o :o

Stanchion?

Hutch

« Reply #4988 on: June 29, 2023, 01:14:04 pm »
Push it back closer to stage? Or push it back closer to soundboard? It depends on what you mean by “in front of”

Bagley

« Reply #4989 on: June 29, 2023, 01:32:16 pm »
I believe that's there to provide a lane of passage in front of the soundboard.  However, last night a bunch of dudes decided to camp out there for the Tweedy set.  So there was no pushing back the barrier happening.

Yada

« Reply #4990 on: June 29, 2023, 02:12:37 pm »
My Atlantis secret...

Stanchion?

Learn something new every day!

Push it back closer to stage? Or push it back closer to soundboard? It depends on what you mean by “in front of”

I meant stand in front of the stanchion and lean against the fake rope thingy... The walkway the created doesn't do much but create confusion IMO. As Bagley said, some people stand back there, some don't... some use it as a walk way. It's unclear what the purpose is.

Bagley

« Reply #4991 on: June 29, 2023, 03:00:13 pm »
Last night's Atlantis show:

It was only fitting for me to see Jeff Tweedy as my first Atlantis show since Wilco was my last show at the original club and my first at the current location.  My wife and I have attended all the Soild Sound fests and she dove into the Tweedy show head first during the pandemic, never missing a single one.  She's also a member of the Shot in the Arm or whatever the fan club is called.  Pretty hardcore. Unfortunately, she was out of town for the show last night.  She would have appreciated the show last night more than I, being more familiar with Jeff's later material.  Although, I'm not sure how comfortable she would have been unless we got their early for a spot on the upstairs rail.
My preference lies with early Wilco- preferably AM and Ghost.  So I would have been happier with Tuesday's 9:30 setlist.  That said, I too enjoyed his spin on the Art of Almost and the Mavis cover.
The banter was enjoyable, especially comments like "the bigger the concert crowd, the dumber they are" and he and his wife Susie are so close "because they hate the same things".
As far as the Atlantis goes, it's a very nice venue but obviosuly doesn't come close to the intimacy of the original.
Always a pleasure seeing you too Hutch.  Challenged and Todd were also in attendance
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 03:05:03 pm by Bagley »

nkotb

« Reply #4992 on: July 01, 2023, 02:32:47 pm »
Sky Ferreira is so cool

Space Freely

« Reply #4993 on: July 01, 2023, 05:53:08 pm »
Sky Ferreira is so cool

Because her grandmother was Michael Jackson's hairstylist.

nkotb

« Reply #4994 on: July 02, 2023, 06:11:12 pm »
It doesn't hurt!

Sky Ferreira is so cool

Because her grandmother was Michael Jackson's hairstylist.

But seriously, great show...way better than I expected. I kind of figured we'd get something in the range of 45 minutes, given how long it's been since she released anything beyond a one-off song or really toured.  But she sounded great, if not a little overwhelmed that people still cared.  Great setlist too.

Great seeing Vas and meeting teepo, a former (?) boardie, too.