Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2122194 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #11430 on: August 11, 2023, 11:00:25 am »
Joell Ortiz - Signature

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11431 on: August 11, 2023, 02:50:27 pm »
Marlowe 2

whoa.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #11432 on: August 11, 2023, 03:14:54 pm »
Marlowe 3.

also, whoa.

Frosty Finger

« Reply #11433 on: August 11, 2023, 04:09:05 pm »
Marlowe 4?

« Reply #11434 on: August 11, 2023, 05:06:07 pm »
So with so much hate on JA's Nothing Shocking, I had to go out and give it a full volume listen on the new Ryko reissue

I'm sorry not sorry, this album slaps soo much.  I see how this spawned 100s of lame ass bands for over a decade, but the original document is still a rocking debut (XXX doesn't really count since the label did it to create hype)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 08:54:55 pm by aspirational way Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Frosty Finger

« Reply #11435 on: August 11, 2023, 05:43:17 pm »
Incredible album….

Definitely a contender for one of the very first “alternative” albums

Frosty Finger

« Reply #11436 on: August 11, 2023, 05:53:43 pm »
BTW who hates Nothings shocking? I thought it was widely recognized as a masterwork

Top 500 album judged be “critics “

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/album/A737.htm

« Reply #11437 on: August 11, 2023, 08:49:43 pm »
BTW who hates Nothings shocking? I thought it was widely recognized as a masterwork
Trouser press
https://trouserpress.com/reviews/janes-addiction/

Rob Christgau
https://www.robertchristgau.com/get_album.php?id=6074

« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 08:54:15 pm by aspirational way Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Mobius

« Reply #11438 on: August 11, 2023, 09:24:24 pm »
Trouser press (which usually is very spot on with their reviews)
https://trouserpress.com/reviews/janes-addiction/

The fact that the reviewer actually trashes Eric Avery’s bass is a major tell that this is a calculated shit take. Or he just doesn’t get it at all.

Jane’s (and Perry specifically) had a magic which maybe gets lost in translation out of context.  I think the same is true with Bono and U2.  You can easily see poseurs in retrospect, and the depth of their charisma doesn’t entirely make logical sense out of context, but for almost everyone in attendance, their concerts (Jane’s and U2)  were transcendent and era defining.

Listened to Nothings Shocking again recently. One thing that struck me was that every song has a simple genius bass riff like a zen koan that is the soul of the song.  Like Izzy Stradlin, it was easy to overlook that the guy you noticed least was the key to the operation.  Another thing is that the production kind of sucks.

« Reply #11439 on: August 12, 2023, 09:33:41 am »
^can confirm with this take

Eric Avery (and Stephen Perkins for that matter) are grossly underappreciated for their contribution to the vibe of Janes's work
Summertime rolls...jez that bass line just gives me the chills

I can only imagine what their concerts were like in the late 80s early 90s
when I caught them at the club in 2011, it was incredible, but likely a shadow of what that early era was

Trust me, both those publications are sacred IMO, but I never forgot their shittakes on JA

I know there is an overwhelming consensus this is a desert island disc, just surprised the hate from people who typically know how to do their job

I do learn new stuff all the time...but knew little about the producer, who has some major chops to being with, but how much he influenced the song selection and sequence...now I want to hear that 18 track demo in the order that was in!   (although shocked that I Would For You didn't make the cut...but that live version is un-toppable)

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/production-legend-dave-jerden-on-13-career-defining-records-586973
I went to see them on this one particular night at a club called Scream – it was actually in a hotel ballroom. There was a line of people around the block at 3:30 in the morning. I went in, sat in the back by the soundboard, and let me tell you, Jane’s Addiction took the stage, and they were awesome. I’d seen Jimi Hendrix at the Hollywood Bowl in 1968 – I’ve seen a lot of great concerts – and Jane’s Addiction were as good as Jimi or anybody on that night. They blew my hair back. I told my manager I wanted to work with them.
“I had this theory: Instead of making an album that people would love, I made a record they would hate. As a kid, I remember my favorite records were the ones that were always voted the worst by certain magazines, so I figured I couldn’t go wrong if I went that way

Amazing this guy had Robert C eating out of his hands...that's some 4D chess ;)

Edit 2: (maybe this is the key, but the order isn't right A Cabinet of Curiosities)
Edit 3: welp here is more info https://defgav.com/sdw/recording/ "the sunshine demos"

Everyone points to Nevermind as the big turning point, but I'd argue that Nothing Shocking was the start of a movement that is still lingering today (not that it wasn't on the shoulders of others for sure)

Hmm...just realized that Pigs in Zen was only on the CD :(
just like Holiday on the Moon...kinda a let down when I got the vinyl
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 10:41:50 am by aspirational way Hatchıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11440 on: August 12, 2023, 10:38:51 am »
Trust me, both those publications are sacred IMO, but I never forgot their shittakes on JA
Thanks man, really appreciate the support. Always nice to meet a fan.
LVMH

« Reply #11441 on: August 12, 2023, 10:54:05 am »
The fact that the reviewer actually trashes Eric Avery’s bass is a major tell that this is a calculated shit take. Or he just doesn’t get it at all.
Was also interesting to learn the band starts with Eric and Perry.  The first demo (not ever released) doesn't even have Navarro on it
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11442 on: August 12, 2023, 01:43:59 pm »
I first saw JA in 88 when they were on tour with Iggy Pop, not sure if I’d have heard of them prior to that.  But, it probably prompted me to buy the CD.  The thing I remember most about their set, was they brought out an ice cooler and stuck a microphone under it and proceeded to drum on it.
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11443 on: August 12, 2023, 03:02:42 pm »
I first saw JA in 88 when they were on tour with Iggy Pop,
The Pride of Ann Arbor, and also Iggy Pop! What a tour!
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #11444 on: August 12, 2023, 05:07:31 pm »
Thanks man, really appreciate the support. Always nice to meet a fan.

Not a fan. Worst mushroom ever. The fact that they make me violently ill might indicate I have an allergy.