Author Topic: R.E.M. vs. U2  (Read 2974 times)

Darth Ed

Re: R.E.M. vs. U2
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 01:25:00 am »

Reod Dai

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 01:46:00 am »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  REM.  U2 gets on my nerves.

Did anyone go to their last show at the Patriot Center?  I called it the "REM sings the songs of your adolescence tour".  It was fantastic.
I was there.  Awesome show, I had a really great time at that one.  We came down that night without tickets, and when we got to the box office we found out they'd opened up a bunch of really great seats just a few hours before the show.  We were at the back of the first floor section on the left, I believe, so we had a great view.  That show rekindled my love for R.E.M. (I hadn't listened to them for a while).  That was also the first time I'd heard Pete Yorn; we thought he was a really good opener.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 07:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:

Without Berry, R.E.M. has recorded three quiet, unimpressive albums.
I strongly object to this statement. Is there anyone out there that agrees with me that New Adventures in Hi-Fi is one of R.E.M.'s very best albums? [/b]
I'd say it's their last really good album.  Definitely my favorite WB record.  I wouldn't call it one of their "very best" though.

And Bill Berry is on that one.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 11:13:00 am »
I agree with the original post that the indecipherability of REM's music is what made it special.  It definitely felt like the soundtrack to my life over the period that Chronic Town, Murmur, Reckoning, and Fables of the Reconstruction were current.

After that point, they had a few good moments, but for the most part, once it was possible to understand Michael Stipe it just stopped being interesting.
_\|/_

Darth Ed

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
 And Bill Berry is on that one.
Oh, duh. I'm not sure how I got mixed up on that. I feel so embarrassed.  :eek:

New Adventures in Hi-Fi also their last album with producer Scott Litt. That might be as much responsible for the perceived decline in their subsequent albums as the absence of Bill Berry.

sethb78

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 12:27:00 pm »
I also saw REM at the Patriot center, and it was a very memorable concert. They even gave shout outs to the 9:30 club, reminiscing about playing there in the early 80's.

smakawhat

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 03:05:00 pm »
after the War album U2 went downhill as far as I am concerned... they haven't matched anything that close since (IMHO).

smakawhat

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »
as far as R.E.M. goes they have made fantastic albums, and still have made some good material even after Berry's departure.

so my vote goes to R.E.M. on this one no contest.

R.E.M. albums everyone should own:

Murmur, Monster, Document.

Personal fav... Document.

Darth Ed

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 03:25:00 pm »
Yeah, Murmur is great and all, but I just love the harmonies on Reckoning. "Seven Chinese Brothers" and "Harborcoat" are just divine. Everyone should own Reckoning, I think.

I really like Monster, too, but I don't think it quite makes the short list of "R.E.M. albums everyone should own." It's not as consistently good as either New Adventures in Hi-Fi or Automatic for the People, in my opinion. "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" is one rocking track though.

My personal favorite R.E.M. album has changed quite often over time, but Lifes Rich Pageant was probably my favorite for the longest total amount of time.

My list of R.E.M.'s best albums:

Murmur
 Reckoning
 Document
 Lifes Rich Pageant
 Automatic for the People
 New Adventures in Hi-Fi

vansmack

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 03:46:00 pm »
I'm pretty sure this debate only happens in America.
27>34

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 04:57:00 pm »
REM was always a favorite. My friend's older brothers listened to them as they once said "before they were popular". They also did get me really into The Smiths. I was in the 5th or 6th grade (or maybe younger).

REM was also the first "real" concert I had been to. 1989 - green tour. the first concert without a parent at 15. I was quite excited, except looking back The Shoreline was a huge mass of people. And my aunt and uncle werent impressed when my cousin and i walked out of there reeking of pot. oh the joys of contact highs.

I was never a U2 fan, but some of their albums are pretty genius. But I'll take Reckoning any day over anything U2 put out. Harborcoat was always one of my favorite songs.
HeyLa

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by Darth Ed:
 I strongly object to this statement. Is there anyone out there that agrees with me that New Adventures in Hi-Fi is one of R.E.M.'s very best albums?
one of my favorite post-'document' albums, but not one of the "very best" ... 'leave' is definitely one of my favorite REM songs ... pretty incredible though how they recorded that whole album during soundchecks of the Monster tour...
(o|o)