Author Topic: Sloan  (Read 2132 times)

xcanuck

Sloan
« on: April 05, 2005, 07:08:00 pm »
So this is all probably old news. I haven't been checking the board as much so maybe I missed it. But here goes...

Sloan's new CD (a best of collection) is coming out May 10. They've got some warmup dates scheduled in S Ont before heading out to Cali for a few days. So far, Coachella and a show at Slims in SF have been announced (and YES - I have my ticket for the SF show!!!).

So...the big question is....Seth! Are you gonna let the Black Cat have this gig? Granted, I doubt there are enough Sloan fans in DC to sell out the 9:30. But it WOULD be great to see them at the Club. And I hope the setlist for the show is in itself a greatest hits collection. They've been reluctant to play any of the older stuff during the past few US tours.

malkmess

Re: Sloan
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 08:58:00 pm »
i am dying waiting for the announcement of a sloan d.c. date. i'm hoping it'll be a greatest hits tour, too. i got them to play "snowsuit sound" a few years ago.. this time i'd love "deeper than beauty"!

Bags

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 11:36:00 am »
I'm praying praying they'll come through late May, early June, as a friend will be in from Nairobi and is dying to see them.  She happened to be in town to catch them open for Jet in NYC last year, and that was just a stupendous show.

FINGERS CROSSED.

sacriforce

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 01:19:00 pm »
Really cool band.
 And nice guys to boot.

.:.

xcanuck

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 11:56:00 am »
Saw Sloan last night at Slims in SF and was, well...underwhelmed.

For a band flogging a "best of" CD, they sure as heck didn't play too many hits. As a matter of fact, it seemed like they were trying to play the most obscure songs possible that only their biggest fans would appreciate it.

The band still puts on a fun show. Murph is Murph - egging on the audience, encouraging singalongs and the even present "Sloooooooaaaan" chant. Pat was more animated than I recall and Andrew (who has gone almost completely gray) was extremely energetic on the drums. The only person that seemed aloof and frankly kinda bored was Jay. It was a rare moment when he cracked a smile, let alone physically got into the show.

Still looking forward to the Jun 12 show at the Black Cat.

edbert

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 12:52:00 pm »
Saw Sloan yrs ago @ old Black Cat, thought they were good except for the when they did the drummer's pretentious songs.  The best tunes were the ones from that one guitarist

Bags

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 03:09:00 pm »
xcanuck, who opened for them in San Fran?  I know the Minus Five was opening in Portland -- a frickin' $8 show.

Actually, I have a bit of fear that they won't live up to the last tour.  It was just so great...odd, though, that they'd go obscure on a Greatest Hits tour.

xcanuck

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 03:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  xcanuck, who opened for them in San Fran?  I know the Minus Five was opening in Portland -- a frickin' $8 show.

Actually, I have a bit of fear that they won't live up to the last tour.  It was just so great...odd, though, that they'd go obscure on a Greatest Hits tour.
The opener was an LA band called The Shore. They'll be touring the east coast supporting other bands but I haven't seen anything about them opening for Sloan over here. The Shore really reminded me of Oasis. They were a decent opener for a Sloan crowd.

I may have overstated the situation when I said the setlist was obscure. In an effort to fairly represent their entire career, they sacrificed what (IMHO) are their better songs from the first three albums. I would have like to heard 500 Up, Worried Now, Autobiography, I Hate My Generation, G Turns to D, etc.  

I think they actually did play everything off 'A Sides Win' (except for 500 Up).

I'll also agree with Edbert's comments about Andrew's songs. They're definitely in a different style from the rest of the boys. I'd sacrifice People of the Sky in a heartbeat for a song like Worried Now.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 03:21:00 pm »
too bad i have facking exams that week.
 mrrrrrrf

Bags

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 03:24:00 pm »
I'd fail.