Author Topic: We need a baseball thread dont we?  (Read 35310 times)

Re: We need a baseball thread dont we?
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2005, 02:31:00 pm »
Do the Houston Astros have the most white guys on their team of any team in baseball?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Barcelona:
  Is Albert Pujols from the Dominican Republic? If you had to prepare a list with the best 20 current baseball players, what percentage would be from a caribbean country (Dom. Republic, Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Panama, Mexico, Nicaragua...)?
i would say that in mlb, the vast majority of those are from the dominican republic.  the rest of those have a handful of good players in mlb, i.e., venezuela has johan santana.  cuba has the hernandezesess and jose contreras (and, jose canseco and rafael palmeiro).

taking the numbers from yahoo's final player rankings (quibble all you want about that), these are the 20 best players from this past season (noting that that does not include barry bonds)-

1) Alex Rodriguez (New York)
 2) Albert Pujols (Dominican Republic)
 3) Derrek Lee (California)
 4) David Ortiz (Dominican Republic)
 5) Mark Teixeira (Maryland)
 6) Mariano Rivera (Panama)
 7) Manny Ramirez (Dominican Republic)
 8) Chris Carpenter (New Hampshire)
 9) Johan Santana (Venezuela)
 10) Billy Wagner (Virginia)
 11) Jason Bay (Canada)
 12) Joe Nathan (Texas)
 13) Dontrelle Willis (California)
 14) Alfonso Soriano (Dominican Republic)
 15) Pedro Martinez (Dominican Republic)
 16) Andruw Jones (Curacao)
 17) Gary Sheffield (Florida)
 18) Miguel Cabrera (Venezuela)
 19) Vladimir Guerrero (Dominican Republic)
 20) Andy Pettitte (Louisiana)

so, the numbers show that 9 of the top 20 are U.S. born, 6 are from dominican republic, 2 from venezuela and 1 each from canada, curacao and panama.
OU812

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2005, 03:49:00 pm »
  Is Albert Pujols from the Dominican Republic? If you had to prepare a list with the best 20 current baseball players, what percentage would be from a caribbean country (Dom. Republic, Cuba, Venezuela, Colombia, Panama, Mexico, Nicaragua...)?
there's been some really good articles lately about the upcoming baseball world cup next spring ... i can't wait for it ... dominicans will probably dominate, but in a short series it might just come down to dominant pitching, making a team like venezuala (j.santana) a contender ...
(o|o)

ratioci nation

« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2005, 07:33:00 pm »
here is a wide screen view of the Pujols homerun, great because you get to watch George Bush Sr. reaction to the homerun on the right side of the screen

http://media.putfile.com/PujolsSwingin/wide

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2005, 06:25:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

there's been some really good articles lately about the upcoming baseball world cup next spring ... i can't wait for it ... dominicans will probably dominate, but in a short series it might just come down to dominant pitching, making a team like venezuala (j.santana) a contender ... [/b]
Hey! I thought Boston were the current "world champions".....venezuala, columbia, cuba, dom. rep. or mexico didn't even make the playoffs.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2005, 02:51:00 pm »
ok, this has been bugging me all day. . .why didn't taveras squeeze in the 9th last night?  if he misses, you still move biggio over to 2nd, and have a runner in scoring position.  plus, it's taveras, and that's all he's good for.  for that matter, why didn't houston sacrifice in the 10th to move the runner over to 2nd?  houston should have won that game last night.
OU812

ratioci nation

« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2005, 05:39:00 pm »
:(

ggw

« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2005, 06:08:00 pm »
Urbina Arrested in Attempted Murder Case

CARACAS, Venezuela -  Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Ugueth Urbina was arrested and held Tuesday pending a formal charge of attempted murder, police said Tuesday.

Last month, Urbina and a group of men allegedly attacked five workers with machetes and poured gasoline on them in an attempt to set them on fire. All five were injured, some of them with cuts and one with burns on the back and right arm, police said.

Urbina, who was detained late Monday, has insisted he had nothing to do with the violence at his family's ranch on Oct. 16.

"Everything will be cleared up soon and people will know the truth," Urbina said from his cell at a police station. "Right now we aren't going to do anything to deny things that aren't true."

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2005, 12:01:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Urbina Arrested in Attempted Murder Case

colbert did a funny bit on this last night, looking at ugie's career record and advocating prison time
(o|o)

Guiny

« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2005, 09:36:00 am »
Bartolo Colon has made my fantast baseball team proud. Now hopefully Dontrelle Willis and Alex Rodriguez will win awards and do the same.

ratioci nation

« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  Now hopefully Dontrelle Willis will do the same.
That honor goes to the Tropic of Nipples' Chris Carpenter
   :D

vansmack

« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2005, 03:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  That honor goes to the Tropic of Nipples' Chris Carpenter
    :D  
And I prefer to have Bartolo Colon referred to as OC $5 Beers of SF's Bartolo Colon.
27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2021, 10:14:53 am »
Cleveland Indians to become Cleveland Guardians. I'm sure we all feel safer now.

Starsky

« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2021, 10:55:35 am »
That’s terrible

Should have gone with Spiders

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2021, 11:14:18 am »
I was thinking the Rocks.

Cleveland Rocks