Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2640 on: January 13, 2014, 05:13:24 pm »
take that back...Lemmy and his big moles are hot
slack

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2641 on: January 13, 2014, 06:53:55 pm »
I was having a conversation with my wife last night about why do people feel that we need attractive people to sing in bands.  I liked the music of Milli Vanilli.  Who cares who was signing it.  And then I came up with list of ugliest bands.  And she was no one listens to bands like Rush or Kiss though.  Only lame old dudes listen to bands like those.  And she was right.  Why do guys listen to such shitty music?

But the list of ugliest dudes bands: Rush, Paul Simon, Lou Reed, Motorhead, Kiss, Tom Petty, the edge, Joe Cocker,  Meatloaf, Dee Snyder, the Ramones, Radiohead.  Oh and Billy Joel and Rick Ocasek. 

Rush isn't a band it is a conglomeration of talentless hacks.
FUKIT

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2642 on: January 13, 2014, 06:58:27 pm »
I was having a conversation with my wife last night about why do people feel that we need attractive people to sing in bands.  I liked the music of Milli Vanilli.  Who cares who was signing it.  And then I came up with list of ugliest bands.  And she was no one listens to bands like Rush or Kiss though.  Only lame old dudes listen to bands like those.  And she was right.  Why do guys listen to such shitty music?

But the list of ugliest dudes bands: Rush, Paul Simon, Lou Reed, Motorhead, Kiss, Tom Petty, the edge, Joe Cocker,  Meatloaf, Dee Snyder, the Ramones, Radiohead.  Oh and Billy Joel and Rick Ocasek. 

I absolutely hate Rush but to say that drummer is talentless is ridiculous.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #2643 on: January 13, 2014, 07:03:07 pm »

The drummer might be the worst part of Rush. Not only does he have no clue as to the point of a drummer in a band he writes some of the worst lryics of all time.  This is why I don't get it when people say Ringo Starr is not a great drummer.  Of course he is.  Being a talented musician has no relation to how many drums you can hit and how fast you can hit them  It has to do with making good music.  Maureen Tucker is a great drummer.  The Velvet Underground would have been awful if you had some guy trying to steal the show back on drums. 

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2644 on: January 13, 2014, 07:19:33 pm »

The drummer might be the worst part of Rush. Not only does he have no clue as to the point of a drummer in a band he writes some of the worst lryics of all time.  This is why I don't get it when people say Ringo Starr is not a great drummer.  Of course he is.  Being a talented musician has no relation to how many drums you can hit and how fast you can hit them  It has to do with making good music.  Maureen Tucker is a great drummer.  The Velvet Underground would have been awful if you had some guy trying to steal the show back on drums. 

Wow.  I may be agreeing with atomic twice in one day.   

But I agree.  I think rating a musician on technical proficiency is as stupid as those reality shows who try to find music stars by just judging which notes they can hit.  And not the songs they sing. 

Neil Peart, I guess, is a very technically skilled drummer who can probably get perfect scores on "Drum Hero" but if Rush songs bore me to tears (which they do) then the battle is lost. 

Stephen Malkmus had a great theory about how the better (more technically precise) a drummer got in a band, the worse they got.  I believe R.E.M. and Husker Du were two of his examples.

It's all masturbatory bullshit.  Rating WHO'S THE GREATEST DRUMMER or WHO SHREDS THE MOST ON GUITAR?  Eddie or Yngwie?  If they don't have songs, nothing matters.

Every macho dickweed slagged off Meg White as a drummer but I thought she was great.  She didn't have to play "YYZ" to be half of a great live band.   I'll admit, the way her titties bounced when she drummed does influence my decision.

Brian

P.S.  Charlie Watts from the Stones.  He's another great drummer in my book.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2645 on: January 13, 2014, 07:43:26 pm »
1) Greatness (or lack thereof) aside two of my favorite drummers are Buddy Rich and Terry Bozzio.

2) If Rush lost the keyboards they would at least be a tolerable listen.

3) Gary Lee is one ugly fucker.
FUKIT

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2646 on: January 13, 2014, 10:27:38 pm »
Beats posted the first "The Smiths" t-shirt with Will Smith and family.  This is one is a bit better

and this is the best Coachella Line-up...

T.Rex

atomic

« Reply #2647 on: January 14, 2014, 12:48:09 am »
1) Greatness (or lack thereof) aside two of my favorite drummers are Buddy Rich and Terry Bozzio.

Missing persons was the first band I saw as an adult.  Funny how it turned out that they're former.Frank Zappa band members.

atomic

« Reply #2648 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:20 am »

and this is the best Coachella Line-up...

Are you trolling with these? 

« Reply #2649 on: January 14, 2014, 12:53:16 am »
I'm shocked at the number of things this community labels trolling. Something clearly fake presented in such a manner where its obvious unreality speaks to its satirical elements =/= trolling.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #2650 on: January 14, 2014, 10:34:40 am »
I'm shocked at the number of things this community labels trolling. Something clearly fake presented in such a manner where its obvious unreality speaks to its satirical elements =/= trolling.

Satirical??? I thought it was just a bunch of random words on a Coachella poster meant to annoy.  Didn't we just ask someone to explain the previous one and they didn't come up with a valid explanation for its posting.  Maybe we could have a separate thread for these.     

James Ford

« Reply #2651 on: January 14, 2014, 10:46:08 am »
I agree. I think such accusations are overly pervasive in the internets.

I was recently accused by moderators of a beer message board for "trolling" because I (respectfully, without any condescending comments to other humans, imo) posted in a thread about Beer A that I wouldn't be buying Beer A this year because Beer B was just as good and less expensive. When I asked a moderator why I was accused of "trolling", I was told "This thread is about Beer A. If you want to compare it to Beer B, you need to start a new thread."

James Ford

« Reply #2652 on: January 14, 2014, 10:47:02 am »
So anything that is annoying to you equals "trolling"?

Satirical??? I thought it was just a bunch of random words on a Coachella poster meant to annoy.  Didn't we just ask someone to explain the previous one and they didn't come up with a valid explanation for its posting.  Maybe we could have a separate thread for these.     

« Reply #2653 on: January 14, 2014, 10:49:39 am »
I was recently accused by moderators of a beer message board for "trolling" because I (respectfully, without any condescending comments to other humans, imo) posted in a thread about Beer A that I wouldn't be buying Beer A this year because Beer B was just as good and less expensive. When I asked a moderator why I was accused of "trolling", I was told "This thread is about Beer A. If you want to compare it to Beer B, you need to start a new thread."
We have a thread about show listings and if someone has the audacity to discuss the show listings, we fracture it off to another thread. And then if we want to discuss who is going to the show, we have to split off to a third thread. And then if we want to discuss how the show was, we go to a fourth thread. And then if we want to post a photo of the show, we have to go to a fifth thread. And if you don't do that, people act like the very fabric of the messageboard is getting ripped apart. And if we actually wish to have an interchange of information/discussion about this concert, we have to hope the 4% of the board who went to/is interested in the same concert as us, diligently checks all five of these threads to follow the progression. Its kafkaesque.

But, no, I have no idea why our community is on life-support.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:51:54 am by Julian, Former Weblebrity »
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #2654 on: January 14, 2014, 10:49:44 am »
So anything that is annoying to you equals "trolling"?

Well something posted just to be annoying.  I can't see any other reason for these posters.  Maybe, I am missing something.  Perhaps, I shouldn't be so quick to judge.