Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1176657 times)

atomic

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2775 on: January 16, 2014, 11:11:26 pm »
I think Ratbastard should not be able to talk about politics for a month.  And then if he has 100 posts during the month he can post about politics the next month. 

All he ever does is post his insane political views.  Let's see what else he can contribute.

Really you think it is insane to believe we ought not make or change laws based on race?  Of course this was not a politic discussion anyway, I intentionally left the political affiliation out of it since it was irrelevant...  It was and is a discussion of law and how the guy in the article is a blatant racist.

I actually sort of agree with you on this one but all you do is talk politics on here.  Most of your ideas are insane.  I just think it would be better for you and us if you just tried to go a month without talking about politics.  Because you always upset about it and you aren't going to change anyones mind.  Seemss pointless.  I would have a debate with you on things but you don't care what anyone else opinion on these subjects is.   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:15:19 pm by atomic »

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2776 on: January 16, 2014, 11:23:51 pm »
I think Ratbastard should not be able to talk about politics for a month.  And then if he has 100 posts during the month he can post about politics the next month. 

All he ever does is post his insane political views.  Let's see what else he can contribute.

Really you think it is insane to believe we ought not make or change laws based on race?  Of course this was not a politic discussion anyway, I intentionally left the political affiliation out of it since it was irrelevant...  It was and is a discussion of law and how the guy in the article is a blatant racist.

I actually sort of agree with you on this one but all you do is talk politics on here.  Most of your ideas are insane.  I just think it would be better for you and us if you just tried to go a month without talking about politics.  Because you always upset about it and you aren't going to change anyones mind.  Seemss pointless.  I would have a debate with you on things but you don't care what anyone else opinion on these subjects is.   

My views are most often well thought out, logical, and reasoned.  Not sure if upset is an appropriate descriptor, more often I am sadly amused.  You (as does everyone) have the right to whatever opinions, beliefs, and thoughts you choose.  It would however be far more of a quality discussion if more or the replies to my views had some basis in reality rather than some far fetched never never land naivete.
FUKIT

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2777 on: January 17, 2014, 11:37:36 am »
ratbastard, do you object to being called Caucasian?
<sig>

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2778 on: January 17, 2014, 12:00:44 pm »

I have no concern what-so-even what others call me.  It has zero impact on me.  Although by the technical definition of eh term I am not a member of that group.  On a side issue, I would find it rather silly to refer to me as European-American.
FUKIT

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2779 on: January 17, 2014, 12:02:22 pm »
It would however be far more of a quality discussion if more or the replies to my views had some basis in reality rather than some far fetched never never land naivete.
Your entire argument hung on the premise that eight times as many blacks smoke marijuana as whites and several of us referenced studies that make clear that's not the case and you refuse them out of hand and then accuse others of living in some far fetched never never land naivete?

What's most funny is NO ONE I've seen in this thread even disagrees with you on your main point (that inequity in prosecutions isn't a good reason to get rid of a law). Several of us have said "yep, that's right." People are, at worst, correcting one detail of your argument. And you're still bent out of shape over it. Totally unnecessary, man.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #2780 on: January 17, 2014, 12:07:04 pm »

I have no concern what-so-even what others call me.  It has zero impact on me.  Although by the technical definition of eh term I am not a member of that group.  On a side issue, I would find it rather silly to refer to me as European-American.

Yes I agree "African American" is a stupid term for people who never lived in Africa.  I am sure it will change again.  I don't understand the desire to change the name of your ethnic group.  Anyway a lot of people from Africa who have moved here are not considered "African Americans". It might be the worst name for an ethnic group ever created. 

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2781 on: January 17, 2014, 12:07:21 pm »
It would however be far more of a quality discussion if more or the replies to my views had some basis in reality rather than some far fetched never never land naivete.
Your entire argument hung on the premise that eight times as many blacks smoke marijuana as whites and several of us referenced studies that make clear that's not the case and you refuse them out of hand and then accuse others of living in some far fetched never never land naivete?

What's most funny is NO ONE I've seen in this thread even disagrees with you on your main point (that inequity in prosecutions isn't a good reason to get rid of a law). Several of us have said "yep, that's right." People are, at worst, correcting one detail of your argument. And you're still bent out of shape over it. Totally unnecessary, man.

No the point being made was the guy was making a decision on changing a law because more blacks were arrested for breaking said law than non-blacks.  That is the very text book definition of racism.

Rather funny your definition of 'bent'.  I am merely replying to some remarks being made with valid points.  In some of those cases I agreed with the point the other person was making (such as money making a difference).
FUKIT

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2782 on: January 17, 2014, 12:09:58 pm »
Rather funny your definition of 'bent'.  I am merely replying to some remarks being made with valid points.  In some of those cases I agreed with the point the other person was making (such as money making a difference).
I'm just saying, I perceive you as being very angry in this discussion, which is curious since -- unlike many discussion on here -- we all are in general agreement on the main principles and merely disagree of a few supporting facts and figures. I think other people perceive it that way as well. I know you're a cool dude in real life, we've met, but I think your tone comes across as unintentionally antagonistic on the Internet, man.
LVMH

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2783 on: January 17, 2014, 12:17:06 pm »

Yes I agree "African American" is a stupid term for people who never lived in Africa.  I am sure it will change again.  I don't understand the desire to change the name of your ethnic group.  Anyway a lot of people from Africa who have moved here are not considered "African Americans". It might be the worst name for an ethnic group ever created. 

I find the whole hyphenated americanism things to be the most absurd and childish notion ever concocted.  On the very face of it, it fails.  Regardless of where someone may or may not have lived (or even where they may or may not have come from), we are all Americans.  On a side note it always humored me that in a country where we are supposedly striving to make race a non-issue, the government itself continues to promote racism by asking for your race on damn near every official document.  As long as our government makes race an issue, the people will as well.  But I am getting side tracked.

Don't even get me started on the racist institutions in our society such as the Congressional Black Caucus, NAACP (kind surprised they have not changed their name to the NAAAA), BET, Miss Black America, et al. 
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #2784 on: January 17, 2014, 12:20:24 pm »
I'm just saying, I perceive you as being very angry in this discussion, which is curious since -- unlike many discussion on here -- we all are in general agreement on the main principles and merely disagree of a few supporting facts and figures. I think other people perceive it that way as well. I know you're a cool dude in real life, we've met, but I think your tone comes across as unintentionally antagonistic on the Internet, man.

On the interwebs it is often very difficult to convey and to interpret the underlying emotions in a conversation.  This is one of the things about said webs that I don't particularly care for.  I tend to speak in a manner that can easily be construed as (shall we say) off putting, but that intention is not there.  At the same time I am absolutely not afraid to speak my mind and make my point! :)
FUKIT

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2785 on: January 17, 2014, 12:26:50 pm »
You know what is a beautiful thing?  Children and race.  My kids go to a really diverse school, it's about 20 percent white, probably 40 percent hispanic, and the rest a mish-mash of islamic, asian, indian, black.  Seriously, it's a freaking melting pot.  These kids give not a single shit about race.  Since no single group is particularly predominant, the kids don't group together by race at all.  Last year my daughter had kids in her class with origins in 14 different countries!

When my kids are describing a new friend or classmate I've never heard about they never use the terms in the paragraph above as descriptors.  It is by far my favorite thing about the school and the community we live in.  I'm envious of this experience they are having as little kids. 

It gives me hope for the future, man.

Edit:  It also makes me sad knowing that eventually the adults in a lot of these kids lives will fuck this all up for them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:31:08 pm by chaz »

James Ford

« Reply #2786 on: January 17, 2014, 12:41:53 pm »
It sounds like your kids go to the same school as mine.

Last year she was the only white girl in her kindergarten class, this year she is one of three. And at this point, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

You know what is a beautiful thing?  Children and race.  My kids go to a really diverse school, it's about 20 percent white, probably 40 percent hispanic, and the rest a mish-mash of islamic, asian, indian, black.  Seriously, it's a freaking melting pot.  These kids give not a single shit about race.  Since no single group is particularly predominant, the kids don't group together by race at all.  Last year my daughter had kids in her class with origins in 14 different countries!

When my kids are describing a new friend or classmate I've never heard about they never use the terms in the paragraph above as descriptors.  It is by far my favorite thing about the school and the community we live in.  I'm envious of this experience they are having as little kids. 

Edit:  It also makes me sad knowing that eventually the adults in a lot of these kids lives will fuck this all up for them.

ggw

« Reply #2787 on: January 17, 2014, 12:45:05 pm »
"Islamic" is a race?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2788 on: January 17, 2014, 12:49:12 pm »

atomic

« Reply #2789 on: January 17, 2014, 12:50:04 pm »
It sounds like your kids go to the same school as mine.

Last year she was the only white girl in her kindergarten class, this year she is one of three. And at this point, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Where do you live?  If I have kids I plan to send them to the Park School in Baltimore.  I don't know if it is diverse or not.  Though they talk about diversity the photos of children on their website does not seem diverse at all.  Hmm..