atomic

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #3000 on: January 29, 2014, 03:46:18 pm »
I am soooooo bored. 

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3001 on: January 30, 2014, 11:13:19 am »
It irks me greatly when bands sell vinyl and don't include those little cards for you to get the mp3s for your electronic devices for free. I give bands a pass if they're on some local label or their label doesn't have an online digital store that already facilitates mp3 downloads for money, but otherwise this is really grating.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #3002 on: January 30, 2014, 11:15:20 am »
It irks me greatly when bands sell vinyl and don't include those little cards for you to get the mp3s for your electronic devices for free. I give bands a pass if they're on some local label or their label doesn't have an online digital store that already facilitates mp3 downloads for money, but otherwise this is really grating.

Here is your secret code for those albums:  www.piratebay.org

« Reply #3003 on: January 30, 2014, 12:21:39 pm »
I agree, if you buy the vinyl, they should include those for free.  Don't mention that to Hutch, he might get upset and throw a Tube at you
slack

« Reply #3004 on: January 30, 2014, 12:29:29 pm »
Don't mention that to Hutch, he might get upset and throw a Tube at you
Why isn't he a fan of that?

Like I said, if the band isn't on a label that offers instant downloads of music for $$, I understand not putting that sort of thing in place. (There's a local RVA label that only releases stuff on vinyl, so I agree its a prohibitive cost for them to put a download option in place, for example.) But if you're on an established label that already offers that service, how do you really lose giving people the digital copy for free, other than a desire to sell two copies of a recording to someone?
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3005 on: January 30, 2014, 12:44:42 pm »
people want everything for free.

« Reply #3006 on: January 30, 2014, 12:47:08 pm »
people want everything for free.
Did you miss the part where I bought the recording?
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3007 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:59 pm »
then pay for the fucking download, latchkey kid.

« Reply #3008 on: January 30, 2014, 12:53:54 pm »
then pay for the fucking download, latchkey kid.
I JUST MAY.
LVMH

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #3009 on: January 30, 2014, 12:57:21 pm »
How much is a fair cost for lossy mp3s of music I've already purchased?  In my view they should be free; if not, make the cost nominal.  Ridiculous for them to expect otherwise.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3010 on: January 30, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »
How much is a fair cost for lossy mp3s of music I've already purchased?  In my view they should be free; if not, make the cost nominal.  Ridiculous for them to expect otherwise.

playing devil's advocate: you bought a piece of vinyl, so enjoy that vinyl.  you want digital?  pay for digital (or encode your own).

folks on this board have, in the past, offered up their download codes.  this is likely what the labels fear: by selling an album with codes, they're making it easier for friends/boordess/etc to get a copy without paying.  FYI, using someone else's codes to get an album you don't own is pirating.  some folks feel this is somehow legit, but it isn't. 
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #3011 on: January 30, 2014, 01:13:28 pm »
Or step into 2014 and use Spotify, the best music service ever.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:19:04 pm by Yada »

Hexenjagd

« Reply #3012 on: January 30, 2014, 01:18:15 pm »
I ONLY listen to vinyl in my whip.   

« Reply #3013 on: January 30, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »
I ONLY listen to vinyl in my whip.   

You know if some company made that now (and I'm sure someone does aftermarket) and you got it and drove through the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn, you're getting laid EVERY NIGHT.

What gets you more hipster cred than a vinyl record player in your car haha.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #3014 on: January 30, 2014, 01:21:09 pm »
Don't mention that to Hutch, he might get upset and throw a Tube at you
Why isn't he a fan of that?

Like I said, if the band isn't on a label that offers instant downloads of music for $$, I understand not putting that sort of thing in place. (There's a local RVA label that only releases stuff on vinyl, so I agree its a prohibitive cost for them to put a download option in place, for example.) But if you're on an established label that already offers that service, how do you really lose giving people the digital copy for free, other than a desire to sell two copies of a recording to someone?

if you buy a record you should get the mp3s free...actually in FLAC or some such....end of story.