Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2111491 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #2970 on: January 26, 2014, 12:17:29 am »
Raffi
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #2971 on: January 26, 2014, 04:01:11 am »
Arguably the best thing to happen to the internet since it became a thing just happened. http://felakuti.bandcamp.com/album/international-thief-thief-1980
wow - looks like they've got his entire catalog on the main page - my 1st dc show was fela @ the Kilimanjaro in adams morgan - thanks for that!
I wonder who's profiting off these. Hopefully his family but it doesn't say anywhere which is a little sketch. I've been binge listening all day. Stuff I haven't heard in years. Will continue for the foreseeable future.
احمد

Hexenjagd

« Reply #2972 on: January 26, 2014, 03:16:53 pm »
Bandcamp purchases for this week:
Ramesh - the King
Pile - Dripping
the courtneys - Lost Boys (single)
Party Trash - Melt

hutch

« Reply #2973 on: January 26, 2014, 03:32:22 pm »
Raffi

we've been listening to raffi..we listen to so much children's music its crazy...sometimes i feel my head may explode..4 of the 5 cds in the upstairs cd discchanger are children's at this point...

I have Raffi's first on LP...what amazed me was to see that Daniel Lanois plays guitar on it!!!

i found the one with baby beluga a few weeks ago...which was cool cause a few months back at my kids school they were reading the story or singing the song or both..unclear... so i promised my kid i'd get it..just took a while

children's music is a fascinating genre.. there is children's music that isn't really children's music ..more like adult music designed to appeal to kids......i'm thinking for example jerry garcia's not for kids only...but then there are some amazing children's music performers.. Ella Jenkins comes to mind...

i also really like local musician barry louis polisar... very funny stuff.. a bit too sophisticated for my kids i'm afraid...but i still put it on

i listen to my own stuff, honestly, mainly in the basement at night.. or in the car..

Hexenjagd

« Reply #2974 on: January 26, 2014, 04:07:34 pm »

hutch

« Reply #2975 on: January 26, 2014, 04:29:29 pm »
Arguably the best thing to happen to the internet since it became a thing just happened. http://felakuti.bandcamp.com/album/international-thief-thief-1980
wow - looks like they've got his entire catalog on the main page - my 1st dc show was fela @ the Kilimanjaro in adams morgan - thanks for that!
I wonder who's profiting off these. Hopefully his family but it doesn't say anywhere which is a little sketch. I've been binge listening all day. Stuff I haven't heard in years. Will continue for the foreseeable future.

I just cant binge Fela... its all rather samey... i can listen to an album maybe at a time but binge? impossible..

i like Fela..i think he's great.. i've had moments where i've been like "WOW!" when i listen to him..but honestly there's many other international performers i prefer...  fela's music is very funky for sure but the lyrics.. just chanting the same shit over and over again for 10 minutes gets old... actually fela's music in general is fairly repetitive......

i mean lets talk fela.

azaghal1981

« Reply #2976 on: January 26, 2014, 04:36:00 pm »
Haha you're talking to someone who listens to a ton of drone and minimalism regularly. So repetition doesn't bother me. Plus, there are enough subtle changes in the music/lyrics in any given piece to keep a listener's attention.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #2977 on: January 26, 2014, 05:32:38 pm »
Haha you're talking to someone who listens to a ton of drone and minimalism regularly. So repetition doesn't bother me. Plus, there are enough subtle changes in the music/lyrics in any given piece to keep a listener's attention.

lyrics?

fela shouting a few anti-colonialism slogans over and over? very simple long-ago discredited stuff.. i mean do you really get into an anti ITT song? Is ITT even around still? the problems with nigeria , i hope we can all agree on now, isn't ITT or even the military dictator/sham democratic ruler dujour (the years go by but all that changes is the name) but the Nigerian people...people never seem to point the finger at themselves..its always the colonial rulers or the few bad apples that come from mars to take over their country against their will or some evil capitalists...its systemic/cultural....the way people relate to each other/get along/do business/the words they use to speak to each other..and I'm not singling out Nigeria or even Africa..i would make the same points with respect to the Palestinians or the Argentines..

and as much as he gets compared to james brown i don't find the music reaches the highs that the jbs do say on love power peace or any of their long jams... sure he had tony allen but did he have bootsy/wesley/pee wee/jabbo/cheese/maceo/byrd on and on and on, etc etc.?.um no.

fela has sort of become the hipsters bible but i doubt many actually even listen to his music...its more like "look, some cool music that one can actually listen to from Africa!"

K8teebug

« Reply #2978 on: January 27, 2014, 01:40:21 pm »
Speedy Ortiz and Courtney Barnett.

Also the new Cloud Nothings song.  On repeat.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2979 on: January 27, 2014, 07:53:32 pm »
st vincents first song of her new ep.  it sounds so much like siouxsie and the banshees.  she must be pissed about that. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #2980 on: January 28, 2014, 02:17:24 pm »

big ups - eighteen hours of static

bearman🐻

« Reply #2981 on: January 29, 2014, 05:39:38 pm »

Hexenjagd

« Reply #2982 on: January 29, 2014, 07:45:33 pm »
first one off of the new Wye Oak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1UUqrGn2B0

(like i said before, NO more guitar.  jenn is playing bass and drummer is now doing lead melodies on synth while drumming instead of doing basslines)

i LOVE the new sound

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2983 on: January 29, 2014, 08:46:46 pm »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2984 on: January 30, 2014, 10:46:20 am »
first one off of the new Wye Oak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1UUqrGn2B0

(like i said before, NO more guitar.  jenn is playing bass and drummer is now doing lead melodies on synth while drumming instead of doing basslines)

i LOVE the new sound

Was expecting something a little darker than this for some reason.  It's not bad at all, just not what I thought it'd be.

So no guitar live, either?