Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2111435 times)

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #4890 on: February 19, 2016, 01:50:57 pm »

I haven't been "young" for a long time. I've considered myself somewhere in between for quite a while. I'll be 49 in May.
My dad died at 57 and his dad died at 52.
I'm hoping that I inherit longevity from my mom's side of the family, and that my healthier (than my dad and granddad I never met) lifestyle will be to my benefit, but who really knows.
Good news is that you inherit most of your genes from your mom's side
at least that's my understanding
of course everyone on my mom's side was bald by 30...so that didn't help me out
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #4891 on: February 19, 2016, 01:58:43 pm »

I haven't been "young" for a long time. I've considered myself somewhere in between for quite a while. I'll be 49 in May.
I'm hoping that I inherit longevity from my mom's side of the family, and that my healthier (than my dad and granddad I never met) lifestyle will be to my benefit, but who really knows.

I think in my case it's probably more behavioral than genetic.
All women that i can think of from both sides lived long lives.
In my grandfather's case, it was probably the alcoholism and maybe smoking and for my dad the smoking.

Anyway, I like the new Lucinda album.

killsaly

« Reply #4892 on: February 19, 2016, 02:06:30 pm »
the Soft Moon - Deeper Remixed

hutch

« Reply #4893 on: February 19, 2016, 04:36:31 pm »

In my grandfather's case, it was probably the alcoholism and maybe smoking and for my dad the smoking.

well.. you're doing everything right- as you continually tell us- so hopefully you will live a long life...

I still don't see 49 as old.. .old is like 65.. old is my parents.. .49 is middle age..   one of my pet peeves is when i hear people say "I'm too old to.....".. really drives me bonkers...

hutch

« Reply #4894 on: February 19, 2016, 04:40:12 pm »
its also important to note that how long you live doesn't correlate at all to how you lived your life or how happy a life it was... who cares if you live to be 99 and didn't talk to any of your children or have any friends after you turned 60?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bOKsOveYD0

bob72

« Reply #4895 on: February 19, 2016, 04:41:39 pm »
how long you live doesn't correlate at all to how you lived your life
how Keith Richards is still alive is beyond me
PENIS

hutch

« Reply #4896 on: February 19, 2016, 04:43:53 pm »

that is true but not what i meant....i didn't mean to sidehatch myself

bob72

« Reply #4897 on: February 19, 2016, 04:54:44 pm »

oh I know, I was just thinking out loud
PENIS

« Reply #4898 on: February 19, 2016, 04:56:54 pm »

yikes 'sidehatching' is now a verb in this lexicon
oh how my star is fading
slack

hutch

« Reply #4899 on: February 19, 2016, 04:59:27 pm »
Ramones
Halfway to Sanity

Space Freely

« Reply #4900 on: February 19, 2016, 05:00:15 pm »
its also important to note that how long you live doesn't correlate at all to how you lived your life or how happy a life it was... who cares if you live to be 99 and didn't talk to any of your children or have any friends after you turned 60?

I think the chances are very good that if you lived an unhappy life you probably won't make it anywhere near 99.

Space Freely

« Reply #4901 on: February 19, 2016, 05:05:41 pm »

well.. you're doing everything right- as you continually tell us- so hopefully you will live a long life...

I still don't see 49 as old.. .old is like 65.. old is my parents.. .49 is middle age..   one of my pet peeves is when i hear people say "I'm too old to.....".. really drives me bonkers...

You have to understand, I started calling myself "middle aged" in my early 30s. It's more a humor thing than anything else. I'm betting some of the people who drive you bonkers are just amusing themselves.

Though the fact is, I ran 17 marathons by the time I was 46, but haven't done any more since. And don't know if I physically can any more. I do feel myself slowing the fuck down physically in the last few years, whereas I felt hardly any older at 45 than i did at 25. I feel like I've physically aged more between 45 and 49 than I did between 18 and 45.

hutch

« Reply #4902 on: February 19, 2016, 05:08:18 pm »

I think the chances are very good that if you lived an unhappy life you probably won't make it anywhere near 99.

absolutely not true.. nothing can help you live long like bile, hate and lunacy...don't believe the hype about how happy people live longer and all that bullshit..

My grandmother lived to be 100 after wrecking every life she possibly could.. she went insane of course so the only person still talking to her had to pay for her to be taken care of...her son, my dad, is very near 77 and looks to be following in her footsteps.. I'm the only one of his three children that talks to him and looks like I'll be following in his footsteps.. of course, if i'm honest he's not doing too badly .. lives in Miami Beach's Faena District overlooking the beach...but god its got to be lonely....still the lunacy and derangement can take you far in life...

dyecraig

« Reply #4903 on: February 19, 2016, 09:02:00 pm »

british sea power - sea of brass
new band (to me), kind of a mishmash of elbow and lambchop (whom i both enjoy) w/brass band. meh.

hutch

« Reply #4904 on: February 19, 2016, 09:35:00 pm »

I didnt even know this LP existed.. its sort of an odds and sods compilation of leftover/b-sides whatevers and you send me.... its got liner notes by sammy davis.. released in 1965 i guess its the first posthumous cash-in collection..produced by al schmitt and hugo luigi (didn't he just die last month?).. al shmitt is sort of a legend recording guy.. for exampe did bob dylan's recent "crooner sinatra" album...which is pretty amazing..since 50 years ago he was recording sam cooke.. but when you got the quality people like bob will seek you out.. anyways , the record is a bit on the schmaltzy side as rca was trying to sell his music to white people i guess.. but sam cooke could sing the phone book and it would be worth listening to for me... i bought a bunch of records at a store today and the guy threw it in for free cause he thought it might not be very playable but it sounds fine...interesting store.. i had not been in years. .its called the vienna music exchange....