Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2111579 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #5205 on: March 30, 2016, 01:59:26 pm »
The Soul Surfers - Soul Rock!

Blistering stuff from Russia
T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #5206 on: March 30, 2016, 05:08:53 pm »
Ruiner - Prepare to Be Let Down

hutch

« Reply #5207 on: March 31, 2016, 09:13:52 am »

barnburner..nice fender bass... very funky soul jazz

hutch

« Reply #5208 on: March 31, 2016, 09:48:42 am »

another good one from Shirley Scott..not as good as Superstition though.. although her vocal on Elton John's Your Song is great (had never heard her sing) as is Mystical Lady.. .the Proud Mary cover is a bit of a grower..still unsure of it..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:52:15 am by hutch »

walk,on,by

« Reply #5209 on: March 31, 2016, 10:36:09 am »
Starting the day off with some RuPaul! 
Butch Queen
very clubby and dancey.  I like it, it is a change for the ruuster.  category is,
What?

Most RuPaul music is clubby and dancey.  Since at least 1994...

I have to speak, now that I have listened to it quite a few times.  this record, butch queen (YASSS queen, I must also say) is really a departure from her normal offerings of powerful songs to a well produced studio dance beat.  strong messages abounded before and yes it was clubby to a point, but for some reason this new one stands out.  so much references to the paris is burning era of drag and it is a gradual move toward an edm side of music, which so many people still think is the future, blended with house 90 club realness.  even my partner, who wears out him some rupaul, hunty, said it was a step back departure for her but still a fucking killer album.  I think slightly better than the last one  and has a not so much stylized produced product on your face feel, veering toward being sub drag . . . so like more kim chi, than raven.

killsaly

« Reply #5210 on: March 31, 2016, 10:48:55 am »
Pet Shop Boys - Super

Relaxer

« Reply #5211 on: March 31, 2016, 10:50:49 am »

Grouper 'Ruins'

Such an amazing album. I wish it were longer, but its brevity actually makes it perfect because you're left wanting more rather than getting burned out on it.
oword

hutch

« Reply #5212 on: March 31, 2016, 10:52:40 am »
Pet Shop Boys - Super

oh.. I plan to get this one.. I really liked Electric so much...

killsaly

« Reply #5213 on: March 31, 2016, 10:54:28 am »
I have to speak, now that I have listened to it quite a few times.  this record, butch queen (YASSS queen, I must also say) is really a departure from her normal offerings of powerful songs to a well produced studio dance beat.  strong messages abounded before and yes it was clubby to a point, but for some reason this new one stands out.  so much references to the paris is burning era of drag and it is a gradual move toward an edm side of music, which so many people still think is the future, blended with house 90 club realness.  even my partner, who wears out him some rupaul, hunty, said it was a step back departure for her but still a fucking killer album.  I think slightly better than the last one  and has a not so much stylized produced product on your face feel, veering toward being sub drag . . . so like more kim chi, than raven.
Great Post!

I should clarify my statement.  I stick by with what I said; Rupaul has always made Club music. 

BUT.  I left off this statement, CLUB MUSIC/DANCE MUSIC CHANGES.

The new album does in fact reflect a more modern dance sound, but so has every single one before.

I have heard trance sounding RuPaul Songs... Hell she even has a song with a GoGo beat.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:56:18 am by killsaly »

killsaly

« Reply #5214 on: March 31, 2016, 10:55:57 am »
Pet Shop Boys - Super

oh.. I plan to get this one.. I really liked Electric so much...

Two tracks in and loving it!

Relaxer

« Reply #5215 on: March 31, 2016, 11:08:11 am »
Well I'm sold. Looks like it's going to be a Pet Shop Boys afternoon for me too.
oword

killsaly

« Reply #5216 on: March 31, 2016, 11:09:32 am »
Do it!  5 songs deep and all good so far!

I might dive into a bit of their 90s catalog this afternoon.

hutch

« Reply #5217 on: March 31, 2016, 11:09:54 am »
out of curiosity where do you listen to the new pet shop boys album super? do you stream it somewhere?

Relaxer

« Reply #5218 on: March 31, 2016, 11:14:47 am »
I just downloaded it because I'm a terrible person
oword

killsaly

« Reply #5219 on: March 31, 2016, 11:15:42 am »
I do not give up my sources.   

BUT, possibly the same way Reviewers get copies.