Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2111469 times)

Starsky

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #10950 on: January 02, 2023, 04:30:09 pm »
I did not see this live and just watched the clips. The songs with Miley work because they trade vocals. The song with Sia was absolute garbage because they’re just singing over top of each other and it was very garbled.

This is a random ass lineup for a major broadcast network in 2022. Has Sia even done … anything … in five years?

Sia rocks. I do not like to read these comments.

I believe she did some soundtrack a couple years ago. I think her Christmas album came out in 2017. Just an incredible Christmas record.

When artists break through they begin to do less stuff . I think the reason she was on the NYE show was to begin promoting a new song which she performed. Sort of coming out of hibernation moment.

BTW I just read on Wikipedia  she is on the autism spectrum (like Byrne)? I had no idea and not sure it’s true. The problem with the song she did with Byrne was that Byrne was clearly reading the lyrics off of a teleprompter but that’s going to happen on these types of shows. I thought it was real sweet when Sia blurted out at end of song “I love you David Byrne”and a touched Byrne went “Awwwh.”

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10951 on: January 02, 2023, 04:56:44 pm »
The first and last rule is that you do not touch the Byrne.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10952 on: January 02, 2023, 07:49:35 pm »
I did not see this live and just watched the clips. The songs with Miley work because they trade vocals. The song with Sia was absolute garbage because they’re just singing over top of each other and it was very garbled.

This is a random ass lineup for a major broadcast network in 2022. Has Sia even done … anything … in five years?

Sia rocks. I do not like to read these comments.

I believe she did some soundtrack a couple years ago. I think her Christmas album came out in 2017. Just an incredible Christmas record.

When artists break through they begin to do less stuff . I think the reason she was on the NYE show was to begin promoting a new song which she performed. Sort of coming out of hibernation moment.

BTW I just read on Wikipedia  she is on the autism spectrum (like Byrne)? I had no idea and not sure it’s true. The problem with the song she did with Byrne was that Byrne was clearly reading the lyrics off of a teleprompter but that’s going to happen on these types of shows. I thought it was real sweet when Sia blurted out at end of song “I love you David Byrne”and a touched Byrne went “Awwwh.”
My comment is not about Sia not rocking I’m just saying he and Miley traded lyrics back and forth, each getting their chance to sing and be heard. On the Sia track, they’re both singing 100% of the lines and he’s like a quarter step behind her for much of it because he was either unfamiliar with the song or reading off a teleprompter. It just came out muddy as all. Both David Byrne and Sia are great I just don’t know why they moved off the trading-lines format of the other performances.
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #10953 on: January 02, 2023, 08:04:54 pm »
Yeah…who knows probably cause they weren’t confident Byrne could do it since he didn’t know the song. By both doing it in unison they covered for each other although at the beginning I thought Byrne did lines by himself and it was the most awkward part….

These things are always train wrecks (if you look closely)

When Sia sang that one song with Miley for which Paris came out at end (BTW she looks identical to 20 years ago! How?) and they finished the song Sia went to hug Miley but Miley was oblivious and busy hugging Paris…Sia was left hanging for an uncomfortable amount of time. Since Sia co-sung with Miley and Paris only came out at end of song was pretty wrong but show biz is a cruel biz. Then Sia tried to hug Paris whose body language also exuded “Who is this freak?”

Yada

« Reply #10954 on: January 03, 2023, 03:42:33 pm »

Starsky

« Reply #10955 on: January 03, 2023, 07:32:21 pm »
^A super cool record but I find it doesn’t hold up for repeated listens. It’s a cool trick but gets old.

Starsky

« Reply #10956 on: January 03, 2023, 07:32:31 pm »

Yada

« Reply #10957 on: January 03, 2023, 07:45:34 pm »
^A super cool record but I find it doesn’t hold up for repeated listens. It’s a cool trick but gets old.

I can't say any gospel lends itself to repeated listens, but need a lil' pick me up today and this album did the trick.

Starsky

« Reply #10958 on: January 03, 2023, 07:55:45 pm »
Yeah….I guess I don’t listen to much gospel. I think it’s a sweet record…. But I like the idea of it more than the music itself. I want to like it more.

Glad it picked you up.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10959 on: January 05, 2023, 08:47:10 pm »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10960 on: January 06, 2023, 03:35:43 pm »
Peter Gabriel: Panopticom, underpinned by “haunting electronics” from Brian Eno.

tsawrite.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10961 on: January 06, 2023, 03:37:51 pm »
Pete Townsend - Empty Glass

Desert Island Disc this one
T.Rex

« Reply #10962 on: January 06, 2023, 05:10:40 pm »
Pete Townsend - Empty Glass

Desert Island Disc this one
interesting, never really gave it a chance, but didn't realize a knew a number of the songs and just read some of the backstory, might be spinning this tonight (by spinning, I mean streaming)
slack

Starsky

« Reply #10963 on: January 07, 2023, 12:12:17 pm »

I like this album more than many…

I still remember trekking to Tower Records in Mountain View on bus 🚎 and buying the tape. I wasn’t a big Talking Heads fan so not sure why…..then I wore the tape out on my Walkman

« Reply #10964 on: January 09, 2023, 03:12:51 pm »
new b&S I Don't Know What You See In Me

kinda has a eurovison feel...
slack