Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2111456 times)

Hutch

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #11625 on: November 05, 2023, 12:47:09 pm »
I love the Beatles but would rather listen to unreleased demos, session recordings, contemporaneous mixes and live recordings from when the Beatles were together and not this marketing exercise. A lot has come out but there must be more out there. Not sure why they don’t put it all out there in a systematic manner like say Bob Dylan has been doing. The anthologies were great as samplers but they were just the tip of the iceberg.

Still, I found the article interesting.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 04:20:24 pm by Hutch »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11626 on: November 05, 2023, 07:07:00 pm »
The remastered Jellyfish albums which sound ever more fantastic

Easy to find on the best streaming service Qobuz as they were done in hi-rez

On lesser streaming services look for other formats of the albums, at least on Apple the new versions are listed that way.  Apparently on the we screw over artists and pay people to spout dribble, it’s the same but that might be a premium feature I can’t see
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11627 on: November 06, 2023, 10:23:40 am »
Matthew Sweet - In Reverse

What an amazing album this is start to finish
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11628 on: November 06, 2023, 11:36:37 am »
Lol Tolhurst, Budgie, Jacknife Lee - Los Angeles

Much better as than the initial single with James Murphy suggested, who really is just so boring as singer now... 

Probably the best sounding Primal Scream tracks released in awhile with Bobby G. on three of them.

Got that 80s experimental sound Bill Laswell and company were known for. Lost of percussion and dubby bass... 

oh and and up coming guitarist called The Edge
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #11629 on: November 06, 2023, 12:05:10 pm »

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #11630 on: November 06, 2023, 12:52:16 pm »
Definitely agree with the author's POV of the new LP remixes versus an original project like Love. Abbey Road never needed a remix, it was perfectly mixed and sounded incredible! (which makes sense given it was the last recorded album and recording technology had improved leaps and bounds since 1962). It's similar to how I feel about George Lucas mucking up the original Star Wars trilogy with all those new effects in the late 90s when in fact the movies never needed it to begin with.

The people behind Apple Corps clearly know what they're doing with that coveted IP, but it's the content like releasing Glyn Johns' version of Get Back with the Let It Be re-release or the Anthology stuff that really fascinates me versus reissuing a mega-expanded Red and Blue album set.

« Reply #11631 on: November 06, 2023, 01:29:02 pm »
Definitely agree with the author's POV of the new LP remixes versus an original project like Love. Abbey Road never needed a remix, it was perfectly mixed and sounded incredible! (which makes sense given it was the last recorded album and recording technology had improved leaps and bounds since 1962). It's similar to how I feel about George Lucas mucking up the original Star Wars trilogy with all those new effects in the late 90s when in fact the movies never needed it to begin with.

The people behind Apple Corps clearly know what they're doing with that coveted IP, but it's the content like releasing Glyn Johns' version of Get Back with the Let It Be re-release or the Anthology stuff that really fascinates me versus reissuing a mega-expanded Red and Blue album set.
you buried the lede!  Abbey road was recorded in 1962!!
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11632 on: November 06, 2023, 01:32:30 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11633 on: November 07, 2023, 02:56:36 pm »
Hurry

Top notch Teenage Fanclubesque power pop from Philly.  Must be something in the steak and cheese up there for all great power pop from there
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #11634 on: November 07, 2023, 03:17:04 pm »

Pretty cool so far. Anybody else? Just me? Okay....
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11635 on: November 07, 2023, 03:29:34 pm »
Miscellen - Contrablonde

https://miscellen.bandcamp.com/album/contrablonde

Fifth offering from those local dark psychedelic  noise slingers, sounding intense and great as always
T.Rex

Hutch

« Reply #11636 on: November 08, 2023, 03:32:34 pm »
Going through one of my periodic Nick Cave phases…..revisiting the b sides part 2 cd 1 as I sit in car waiting for my kids to get out

Some killer songs on this -before he went all ambient pop- that one has to scratch their heads that they didn’t make an album: Firing squad, Fleeting love, Vortex, Needle boy, Lightning bolts, Animal x

His b-sides outtakes form a great parallel discography that few artists can top…

I was able to snag a copy of the 7 LP  vinyl box for $115. Just arrived today.

Yada

« Reply #11637 on: November 08, 2023, 10:28:00 pm »
The Bunker Sessions - Yo La Tengo

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11638 on: November 08, 2023, 10:33:49 pm »

Pretty cool so far. Anybody else? Just me? Okay....
Don’t threaten me with a good time!
LVMH

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11639 on: November 09, 2023, 11:11:59 am »
Van Halen II

for this name a perfect album that came out when you were 16 thing that's going around on bleech and bluesky, I initially posted Joe Jackson "Look Sharp".  While I definitely bought that album, upon further reflection 16 year old me would have easily bought VHII first and rocked it more then. 
T.Rex