Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2110808 times)

killsaly

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #4455 on: November 09, 2015, 08:13:25 pm »
Death Grips - The Money Store

I am not sure why I have not listened to this before today.

killsaly

« Reply #4456 on: November 09, 2015, 08:53:53 pm »
Various Artists - Swag Angola

A complication of different Angolan musical styles from last year.  I am a sucker for Portuguese...  Also, this thing has an awesome cover.

killsaly

« Reply #4457 on: November 09, 2015, 09:36:41 pm »
Andrew Bernstein - Cult Appeal

http://andrewbernstein.bandcamp.com/album/cult-appeal

solo Experimental sax from Baltimore based member of Horse Lords

ggw

« Reply #4458 on: November 10, 2015, 01:11:56 pm »
the mad scientist ones are awesome.. awesome covers and titles..am bummed I have never seen sly and Robbie live.. I have had my chances too...

I love Sly & Robbie.  They are truly epic.  Responsible for hundreds of thousands of recordings.  I have seen them twice.  Once back in the late eighties at a reggae-fest at the Boathouse in Norfolk.  A second time at the 930 when they backed up Sinead O'Connor for her foray into reggae. 

There are no other artists that have been as important to their genre as Sly & Robbie are to reggae.  They are the alpha, the beta, and the omega.  True story.

hutch

« Reply #4459 on: November 10, 2015, 05:55:58 pm »
the mad scientist ones are awesome.. awesome covers and titles..am bummed I have never seen sly and Robbie live.. I have had my chances too...

I love Sly & Robbie.  They are truly epic.  Responsible for hundreds of thousands of recordings.  I have seen them twice.  Once back in the late eighties at a reggae-fest at the Boathouse in Norfolk.  A second time at the 930 when they backed up Sinead O'Connor for her foray into reggae. 

There are no other artists that have been as important to their genre as Sly & Robbie are to reggae.  They are the alpha, the beta, and the omega.  True story.

for sure... I would also put in a word for the great carlton and aston barrett duo..a  ton of those great dub and Jamaican records before Sly and Robbie hit the scene have them on them... carlton's work with the one drop beat is also bigtime...but yeah sly and Robbie are epic.

ggw

« Reply #4460 on: November 10, 2015, 08:01:08 pm »

for sure... I would also put in a word for the great carlton and aston barrett duo..a  ton of those great dub and Jamaican records before Sly and Robbie hit the scene have them on them... carlton's work with the one drop beat is also bigtime...but yeah sly and Robbie are epic.

Never met Carlton, but way back in the day I met Aston Barrett.  I had this friend Steve.  Steve worked with this super hot Ethiopian chick who was dating one of the guys in AAE (Awareness Art Ensemble).  AAE was opening for the Wailers at George Mason.  The hot Ethiopian chick got us backstage along with a friend of a friend of a friend who was selling the Wailers a bunch of pot.  We're all sitting around backstage and Aston twists up a big fattie, lights it, and hands it to me.  I take a big hit at try to pass it back to him.  Family Man looks me straight in the eye, shakes his head, and says to me, "No mon... that jus' for you."

As far as celebrity encounters go, I rank that right up there with the time Gwyneth Paltrow tried to get in my pants.

dyecraig

« Reply #4461 on: November 11, 2015, 03:26:56 pm »

p.i.l. - pretty much all day

killsaly

« Reply #4462 on: November 11, 2015, 08:31:35 pm »
Throbbing Gristle - D.o.A. The Third and Final Report Of Throbbing Gristle

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4463 on: November 12, 2015, 12:27:10 pm »

They are on a long list of bands i've been meaning to check out.

killsaly

« Reply #4464 on: November 12, 2015, 01:24:27 pm »

They are on a long list of bands i've been meaning to check out.
Same.  I dug the first two albums that I listened to (the one listed and 20 Jazz Funk Greats) so far.

Right now:

Jay Rock - 90059

killsaly

« Reply #4465 on: November 12, 2015, 05:25:32 pm »
Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden of Delete

:o :o :o :o

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4466 on: November 12, 2015, 05:35:57 pm »
The Go - Whatcha Doin'
T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #4467 on: November 13, 2015, 12:53:20 pm »
Justin Beiber - Purpose

Not bad. 

Space Freely

« Reply #4468 on: November 13, 2015, 01:43:32 pm »
This is a surprisingly strong box set.

She is one foxy 56 year old. He is one easy target for Julian.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4469 on: November 13, 2015, 01:50:06 pm »
He is one easy target for Julian.
Hmm. . . I mean, I have no experience hunting but I'm going to assume you're correct. Couldn't imagine anything with that much excess weight being able to move very quickly. It'd barely qualify as a "moving target."
LVMH