Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2110792 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #6300 on: November 16, 2016, 12:06:11 pm »
I'm on board with Relaxer on the Baby Queens album...I'm pretty picky about most pop soul,but can definitely see this going on repeat. strangetown records and cian ciaran is producing some fab stuff.. In fact this album confirms that I'd dig hearing him produce some k-pop
T.Rex

Yada

gavroche

« Reply #6302 on: November 16, 2016, 01:18:19 pm »
Not listening to it yet, but my Dylan 1966 Live Recordings came in the mail.  Surprised me, I forgot I'd pre-ordered it.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #6303 on: November 16, 2016, 03:37:15 pm »
New podcast from Jubilee! "The Pre-Game" episode 1! Pretty stoked.

https://soundcloud.com/thump/the-pre-game-episode-one-heaven-is-for-quitters-with-faltydl
‼‼?‼‼

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6304 on: November 16, 2016, 03:51:31 pm »
Brownout presents Brown Sabbath volume 2
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #6305 on: November 16, 2016, 05:09:53 pm »
Brownout presents Brown Sabbath volume 2

I want to buy this and volume 1 too...

hutch

« Reply #6306 on: November 16, 2016, 05:11:12 pm »
I been listening to a lot of Queen lately... they really were absolutely amazing.. all four could write great songs! all four were great players and songwriters....and the harmonies and vocal arrangements...

I think if you asked me what was the greatest band and defined greatest band in a certain way.. I'd say Queen..

Freddie Mercury's death still affects me big time even today...listening to "The Show Must Go On" i got so many goosebumps yesterday...its such a powerful performance and knowing he knew he has but months to live and was so sick when he sang it... geeze...he really belts it too.. what a bravura performance....

When Queen came to town without Freddie I wanted to be there but in the end I just couldn't...maybe if Deacon had been there too... but it just felt wrong....

the last album, Innuendo, they went out on such a high note......I loved the album from the minute it came out. it was such a return to form after the lame The Miracle... it really was their first ALBUM that worked so well in over a decade because A Kind of Magic suffers from having so many songs that were for the Highlander soundtrack...

Freddie died November 1991... I remember just being floored.. there was so much talk about how he "hid" things.. I always thought it was 100% his business what he did.....

Wayne's World came out in early 1992.. kind of a shame Freddie didn't live to see it...

there are some individuals that even if you don't know them you value so much..Freddie is one of them for me...

I was glad last year Google paid some sort of tribute to him with that doodle.... I guess in about a week will be the 25th anniversary of his death.. November 24th.. 25 years...

After listening to John Deacon and Roger Taylor playing the chord sequence that later on would be the basis for almost the entire song, Brian May sat down with Freddie Mercury and the two of them decided the theme of the song and wrote some lyrics. May wrote down the rest of the words as well as the melody, and added a bridge with a chord sequence inspired by Pachelbel's Canon.

Demo versions featured May singing, having to sing some parts in falsetto because they were too high. When Brian May presented the final demo to Mercury, he had doubts that Mercury would be physically capable of singing the song's highly demanding vocal line, due to the extent of his illness at the time. To May's surprise, when the time came to record the vocals, Mercury consumed a measure of vodka and said "I'll fucking do it, darling!" then proceeded to perform the vocal line.
[2]

For the record, May sang most of the backing vocals (including the very last line) and played Korg M1 synthesiser as well as guitar. Producer David Richards suggested the key-shift in the second verse.

?   "'The Show Must Go On' came from Roger and John playing the sequence, and I started to put things down. At the beginning, it was just this chord sequence, but I had this strange feeling that it could be somehow important, and I got very impassioned and went and beavered away at it. I sat down with Freddie, and we decided what the theme should be and wrote the first verse. It's a long story, that song, but I always felt it would be important because we were dealing with things that were hard to talk about at the time, but in the world of music, you could do it."[4]   ?
? Brian May ? 1994
The lyrics are full of allusions, metaphors and other figures of speech, making it somewhat difficult to understand. Thinly disguised tragedy ahead is announced. In the end, the text refers to the determination, the furious desire to live ("I have to find the will to carry on with the show") in spite of vanishing strength ("inside my heart is breaking").[5] From the perspective of harmony, the song begins in B minor; then there is a modulation to C# Minor as if the song implied a hope (an increase of tone); but eventually it falls back to B minor.[6]

Jim Hutton, Freddie's partner who was with him for the last 6 years until his death, mentions the lyric that refers to the use of make up[7] during his last days:

?   To me, the most autobiographical line was: 'My make-up may be flaking but my smile still stays on.' That was true. No matter how ill Freddie felt, he never grumbled to anyone or sought sympathy of any kind. It was his battle, no one else's, and he always wore a brave face against the ever-increasing odds against him.[8]
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:25:20 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #6307 on: November 16, 2016, 07:53:17 pm »
Mose Allison- Your Mind is on Vacation

I've always really enjoyed Mose.... completely unique...I never managed to make it to see him and not for lack of opportunity.. he played many times at Blues Alley.. that place just repulses me for some reason.. I haven't been to a show there in like 20 years....

walkie,talkie

« Reply #6308 on: November 16, 2016, 09:11:25 pm »
Aristophanes, No Rush to Leave Dreams

Fuck . . . where have they been, all my life.

vansmack

« Reply #6309 on: November 17, 2016, 06:40:45 pm »
How did none of you ever share this with Smackie previously? 

The only value-add to this place is the music, and if you guys can't even deliver that....

Daft Science

A FREE album of Beastie Boys remixes, using only Daft Punk samples.
credits
released July 1, 2014

Original Music by The Beastie Boys & Daft Punk
Remixing by COINS
Illustration: Ryan Snook
Art Direction: Studio Function
27>34

hutch

« Reply #6310 on: November 17, 2016, 08:18:51 pm »

this is the kind of thing that would only interest me.. I love Faces.. had not realized there was a Capitol Record Club issue with a different cover... the picture in the middle is not on the other issues...this is the third different cover of this album I have now along with the standard US Warner and the European pressing (German I seem to recall)...

hutch

« Reply #6311 on: November 17, 2016, 08:31:10 pm »

I'm not sure what I think of this one... I read its very different from the other Village People stuff...of course it totally stiffed and that was kind of the end...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 08:33:00 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #6312 on: November 17, 2016, 08:35:40 pm »
My favorite music critic on it:

AllMusic Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Renaissance is an album that never should have been released. Appearing a year after the Can't Stop the Music debacle and after the collapse of Casablanca Records, Renaissance finds the Village People trying to find a foothold in a world that no longer likes disco. They now lack their top-notch producers and songwriters, so they have to settle for dreck like "Diet," "Fireman," "Jungle City," "Big Mac" and "Food Fight." It's music so lifeless and flat that it lacks kitsch value, even with years of hindsight. It's simply an embarrassment that never should have seen the light of day.

dyecraig

« Reply #6313 on: November 17, 2016, 08:40:51 pm »
^ their new romantic/blitz era?

hutch

« Reply #6314 on: November 17, 2016, 08:42:49 pm »
^ their new romantic/blitz era?

yeah.. they tried to redefine themselves...I'm not hearing the dramatic difference.. I mean yeah its not YMCA...it sounds like early 80s/new wavey to me... just not very good at it..

I don't think I need to go any further...I'm not sure I need In the Street from 1983 or Sex over the phone from 1985...