Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2110968 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #11085 on: February 17, 2023, 12:33:05 pm »
Nice!

1) Why did you choose this album to listen to?
2) What genre of music does this album best fit into?
3) What distinguishes this album from other recordings by this artist?
4) Would you consider this an essential, "desert island" pick?
5) Which 1 or 2 tracks are the standouts on this album?

Starsky

« Reply #11086 on: February 17, 2023, 03:39:36 pm »
Nice!

1) Why did you choose this album to listen to?
2) What genre of music does this album best fit into?
3) What distinguishes this album from other recordings by this artist?
4) Would you consider this an essential, "desert island" pick?
5) Which 1 or 2 tracks are the standouts on this album?

1) I have really gotten into Art Pepper and found at record store
2) Jazz
3) not much…all his stuff is just top notch
4) not yet
5) Patricia. Apparently was featured on a tv show called Botsch which got people into Pepper

Starsky

« Reply #11087 on: February 17, 2023, 09:07:33 pm »

More late career Art. A live record cut in Japan in I think 1979.

What I find remarkable about Art is that after being off the scene for about 15 years due to multiple jail times, heroin,  being part of a cult, etc…he came back and recorded some incredible stuff between 1975-1982 before his body gave out. Arguably his comeback years were the peak of his career

This record has a skip but since I paid only a quarter for it I don’t really care.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 09:11:37 pm by Starsky »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11088 on: February 17, 2023, 10:39:04 pm »
That's interesting! I may give him a listen . Thanks!

Starsky

« Reply #11089 on: February 18, 2023, 08:12:43 pm »

Yada

« Reply #11090 on: February 18, 2023, 11:18:56 pm »
Hutch on a ryan adams kick... strange

« Reply #11091 on: February 19, 2023, 12:04:08 pm »
Hutch on a ryan adams kick... strange
ageed, might need to do a wellness check
slack

« Reply #11092 on: February 19, 2023, 12:08:36 pm »
5) Patricia. Apparently was featured on a tv show called Botsch which got people into Pepper
thanks for providing a jumping in point
and yes, every comment mentions Bosch

but this comment from Chet bakers drummer was worth reading the comment section
I worked with Chet Baker for many years, and I remember being with Chet on the grass above Santa Monica Beach, and we were talking about different musicians that we liked. I mentioned how much I liked Art Pepper, and Chet looked at me with a smile on his face and said that 'Art Pepper was the most lyrically swinging Alto player ever'!!- And I completely agree. I've always loved Art's tone & phrasing. Man, Art can make me cry & conversely, lift my spirit to the heaven.  Artt Frank long time drummer with Chet Baker.

I assume you knew this was for his daughter

Patricia Ellen Pepper is the estranged daughter of jazz musician Art Pepper. It is assumed that after her mother and father's divorce, Patricia moved with her mother, whom later remarried. There is no other additional information found after their divorce. More... According to the documentary film "Art Pepper: Jazz Survivor," his ex-wife took 12-year-old daughter Patricia to visit Art in prison; thereby proving to their daughter that Art was an animal unworthy of his daughter's love and respect. After being released from prison, Art learned that his daughter, then 30-years-old with two children of her own, lived nearby. So he contacted her, but she didn't want to see him or talk to him, and never did thereafter. In frustration and grief over the estrangement, Art composed his hauntingly beautiful blues Ballad "Patricia."

Found a good live version from a 1978 concert
https://youtu.be/SQPb84jdKNA
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 12:32:06 pm by Sidehaaatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #11093 on: February 21, 2023, 10:05:06 am »
No. I didn’t know that…. Just reading Art’s autobiography but it’s so dark

Starsky

« Reply #11094 on: February 21, 2023, 10:14:51 am »

This is such an underrated album…by 2004 very few people were paying any attention to Luna. They had lost a lot of their fanbase and been written off but this album is my third favorite after Penthouse and Bewitched. In DC they had gone from sold out shows at the 930 to non sold out shows at the Black Cat and Dean Wareham was looking worse for the wear. The Luna movie Tell me do you miss me documents this period well. It wasn’t a surprise when they bid adieu shortly after Rendezvous. I wish they had made this record five years prior (after Pup Tent). The first five songs are perfect. Britta’s bass on Astronaut always makes me happy in its Hookian derivation. New Order as usual is an underrated influence on Dean.

Am definitely due for a Luna show. I haven’t seen them since their Penthouse show in late 2019.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11095 on: February 21, 2023, 10:28:53 am »
The Flithy Six - The Fox

T.Rex

« Reply #11096 on: February 21, 2023, 10:44:01 am »
its Hookian derivation
love this

Am definitely due for a Luna show. I haven’t seen them since their Penthouse show in late 2019.
yet refused to see them at the birchmere in 2021?
slack

Starsky

« Reply #11097 on: February 21, 2023, 10:45:36 am »
I will never see them in a sit down venue.

This is a rock band not opera.

« Reply #11098 on: February 21, 2023, 10:53:11 am »
I will never see them in a sit down venue.

This is a rock band not opera.
fair...

but you might kill yourself when you see their setlist had 2 from Rendezvous and a Cure cover
with an encore of Marquee Moon by Television
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/luna/2021/the-birchmere-alexandria-va-1b8a05d0.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:54:58 am by Sidehaaatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11099 on: February 21, 2023, 11:19:20 am »
Hutch surviving a car crash, brain cancer, and COVID only to be taken out by a vapors-induced-heart attack at the sight of a Luna setlist he missed would be so on-brand. Instant HoF status. He'd be our Roberto Clemente.
LVMH