Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2110859 times)

Hutch

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #11235 on: April 27, 2023, 08:23:13 am »

« Reply #11236 on: April 27, 2023, 09:09:07 am »

the credits on here crack me up
would love my job description to be Feaverish

hmm, I do notice a not for resale printed on here...sounds like some fishy business going on
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11237 on: April 27, 2023, 09:09:57 am »

I can't believe I actually unearthed the name of this group.  With all the chatter about True Believers and Cowpunk, I was reminded of a group with a Cowboy/Western image with a unique guitar lineup. But the name eluded me at first and it came to me..

The Unforgiven where a sextet with four guitarists and so called gang singing.  They arrived on the scene in 1986 and were signed in a bidding frenzy and lasted one record.  One member Johnny Hickman became a member of Cracker.

And yes this one holds up as well as one would except for an album/group like this..

These description will curl the toes of most here, but it was 1986 so excess is best...

At their core, the Unforgiven were an American version of Big Country borrowing the Last Gang in Town persona of the Clash: messianic rockers determined to follow in the footsteps of U2 right into an oversized arena

T.Rex

« Reply #11238 on: April 27, 2023, 09:19:09 am »
found this great review of a New Zeland fan who ran in to John Hickman in NY

https://www.elsewhere.co.nz/albumconsidered/4238/the-unforgiven-the-unforgiven-considered-1986-the-band-that-died-with-its-boots-on/

this  cracks me up
I think Hickman was surprised and slightly embarrassed that not only did I know of his previous band, but that even at the far end of the world from New York they had made an impact.

(I did assure him however that no one else I knew in New Zealand was aware of them, and he seemed a little relieved.)

When I asked him what happened to the other guys in the band he said dismissively, "I guess they went back to being teachers".

slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11239 on: April 27, 2023, 09:22:29 am »

At their core, the Unforgiven were an American version of Big Country borrowing the Last Gang in Town persona of the Clash: messianic rockers determined to follow in the footsteps of U2 right into an oversized arena
Having never heard a note, I feel it’s a pretty safe bet that they are better than The Clash and U2. I will withhold judgment on their quality vs Big Country until I actually hear a song.
LVMH

Bagley

« Reply #11240 on: April 27, 2023, 10:00:01 am »
https://www.npr.org/2023/04/26/1171047855/bill-orcutt-guitar-quartet-tiny-desk-concert

Orcutt, formerly of Harry Pussy fame.  Nels Cline would welcome these guys to Solid Sound with open arms..

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #11241 on: April 27, 2023, 02:32:03 pm »

I can't believe I actually unearthed the name of this group.  With all the chatter about True Believers and Cowpunk, I was reminded of a group with a Cowboy/Western image with a unique guitar lineup. But the name eluded me at first and it came to me..

The Unforgiven where a sextet with four guitarists and so called gang singing.  They arrived on the scene in 1986 and were signed in a bidding frenzy and lasted one record.  One member Johnny Hickman became a member of Cracker.

And yes this one holds up as well as one would except for an album/group like this..

These description will curl the toes of most here, but it was 1986 so excess is best...

As a mid-80s record store manager and cowpunk aficionado, I remember this with my highest disdain. My first real taste of corporate band manufacturing on my watch.
😐 🎶

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #11242 on: April 27, 2023, 02:36:50 pm »
As a mid-80s record store manager and cowpunk aficionado . . .
Incredible beginning to any sentence.
LVMH

Bagley

« Reply #11243 on: April 27, 2023, 02:53:16 pm »
Well, you're not going to rain on my parade and my fond memories of hanging out with Country Dick Montana of the Beat Farmers outside the old club.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #11244 on: April 27, 2023, 02:55:14 pm »
As a mid-80s record store manager and cowpunk aficionado . . .
Incredible beginning to any sentence.

My life as a John Hughes film...

Speaking of, this is a great box set:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 03:02:41 pm by Justin Tonation »
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11245 on: April 27, 2023, 04:05:47 pm »
Well it’s a darn good thing The Unforgiven only lasted one album… Think of the Record Store Manager!!

I have atoned by listening to Rank and File  - The Slash Years
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #11246 on: April 27, 2023, 04:14:45 pm »
Well it’s a darn good thing The Unforgiven only lasted one album… Think of the Record Store Manager!!

I have atoned by listening to Rank and File  - The Slash Years

The RSM abides  8)
😐 🎶

Hutch

« Reply #11247 on: April 27, 2023, 05:03:42 pm »
I gotta say I can’t stand this cow punk

« Reply #11248 on: April 28, 2023, 07:44:34 am »

this is not cow punk and kinda sucks, can see why these guys fell apart after this
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #11249 on: April 28, 2023, 07:59:39 am »
New Joy O