Author Topic: New Music Magazine for Old People!  (Read 27301 times)

Bags

Re: New Music Magazine for Old People!
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2003, 12:44:00 pm »
Guess you won't be surprised that I hate camping.  Did it once, and that's it.  A B&B in a small town is okay....  

Why are we sick, because we buy a lot of albums, or because we want attention from the sellers?  I'm not disagreeing, I'm way too consumer oriented.  I should have some kids.

Originally posted by Celeste:

Originally posted by Bagster:

Originally posted by Jaguär:
  ... doing our part to support the record industry
we still get viciously ignored as a less than desirable demographic[/b]
you guys are sick...like consumer culture junkies crying out to your dealers for more junk...you need desperately to go camping or something [/b]

markie

« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2003, 12:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  The 10 albums you haven't heard:

1. Kathleen Edwards
 2. Ben Taylor Band
 3. Four Tet
 4. Jason Moran
 5. Howard Tate
 6. The Waifs
 7. Ghazal
 8. Jesse Malin
 9. The Moles
 10. The Shins

I wonder how many of those Mr. WOXY listener HAS heard?

[/QB]
I wonder how many WOXY would be interested in playing. I only remember Jesse Malin getting played on WOXY. And he is a shitty Ryan Adams clingon, right?

But a lot of the rest of the acts, arent they old peoples music? Jazz and mellow country. Perhaps I have heard them whilst being transported in a taxicab?

Celeste

« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2003, 12:57:00 pm »
  Guess you won't be surprised that I hate camping.  Did it once, and that's it.  A B&B in a small town is okay....  

Why are we sick, because we buy a lot of albums, or because we want attention from the sellers?  I'm not disagreeing, I'm way too consumer oriented.  I should have some kids.
I'm just busting your chops, but there is some truth to it, as you may admit...having kids won't solve it...in many cases it makes it worse...I'm not saying I'm immune either, though I try to fight it, at least and don't beg for more...I just think it's funny that you guys mentioned "supporting the record industry" and whined about not being marketed to...

ggw

« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
The Wrens were also on that list.

« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2003, 01:06:00 pm »
Old peoples music? Why must you pidgeonhole everything? You're doing exactly what GGW says that I do.

To me, good music is good music, regardless of who it is marketed to. I tend to think 95% of music is not good music, including that which gets the WOXY or KEXP stamp of play.

Of those on this list, I've heard # 1,2,5,6,8,10 at least a track or two of each. That being said, I only own #10, and #6 is the only other one I would pick up if the price was right.

Guess my point was that I'm willing to wager that most of the albums on this list have not been heard by most people, including the more than casual music listener.

And no, based on the little mini-reviews of each of these, they are not marketed to "old people". Not a one of them sounded like it would appeal to someone of my mom's generation.

Originally posted by markie:

The 10 albums you haven't heard:

1. Kathleen Edwards
 2. Ben Taylor Band
 3. Four Tet
 4. Jason Moran
 5. Howard Tate
 6. The Waifs
 7. Ghazal
 8. Jesse Malin
 9. The Moles
 10. The Shins

I wonder how many of those Mr. WOXY listener HAS heard?

[/b]
I wonder how many WOXY would be interested in playing. I only remember Jesse Malin getting played on WOXY. And he is a shitty Ryan Adams clingon, right?

But a lot of the rest of the acts, arent they old peoples music? Jazz and mellow country. Perhaps I have heard them whilst being transported in a taxicab? [/QB]

« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2003, 01:09:00 pm »
Perhaps they were #11.

Or we looked at different issues of the magazine. I looked at the issue with Sting on the cover. I would guess that this would ber a regular monthly feature?

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  The Wrens were also on that list.

Bags

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2003, 01:18:00 pm »
No, really, I hear you!  I spend so much frickin' money on music...it's stupid.  Though, a couple friends me have soothed me with the argument that it IS my hobby.

I fully admit to wishing I were a bit less merchandise oriented.  I think about it a lot -- this weekend I bought myself a ring, and I was paying particular attention to how long that can actually make me happy.  Actually, it's an awesome ring so it is still making me pretty happy...  ;)  

I brought up kids because my friends with kids won't stop talking about how it gives meaning and purpose to their lives.

I will say, aware as I am of my voracious consumerist appetite, I balance it by doing quite a bit of community-oriented volunteer work.  That goes a long way to bringing you back down to reality...

Originally posted by Celeste:

I'm just busting your chops, but there is some truth to it, as you may admit...having kids won't solve it...in many cases it makes it worse...I'm not saying I'm immune either, though I try to fight it, at least and don't beg for more...I just think it's funny that you guys mentioned "supporting the record industry" and whined about not being marketed to... [/b]

markie

« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2003, 01:18:00 pm »
 [QB] Old peoples music? Why must you pidgeonhole everything? You're doing exactly what GGW says that I do.

because I am an individual and can do what I want, within the law, of course. Perhaps you can make pigeonholing music a crime?

But there is a lot of Jazz and slow country? If old people dont listen to that, what is it doing in this mag? who does?

There is only the one issue of the mag.

« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2003, 01:32:00 pm »
In the Sting issue, I saw a pic of an issue with Ryan Adams on the cover, and on the website, there is a pic of a cover with Norah Jones on the cover. Perhaps these are upcoming issues?

From what I know about these acts,

Kathleen Edwards, Jesse Malin and the Waifs fall into the alt-country category, where a vast majority of fans tend to be 25-40. Not old.

Ben Taylor, I think, tends to appeal to the John Mayer crowd...early 20's, not old.

Howard Tate is an old blues/soul guy...that stuff typically appeals to listeners of all ages.

Ghazal is an Iranian/ world music type. Not my thing, but world stuff seems to appeal to people of varying ages.

Jason Moran appears to be a jazz guy. I don't know enough about modern jazz to comment on the audience.

Four Tet are an electronic outfit from London. Doesn't electronic stuff usually appeal to a younger crowd?

The Moles are an Australian chamber pop outfit that allmusic compares to the Bats and the Chills...who are definitely not "old people music".

[QB] Old peoples music? Why must you pidgeonhole everything? You're doing exactly what GGW says that I do.

because I am an individual and can do what I want, within the law, of course. Perhaps you can make pigeonholing music a crime?

But there is a lot of Jazz and slow country? If old people dont listen to that, what is it doing in this mag? who does?

There is only the one issue of the mag. [/b]

ratioci nation

« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2003, 01:37:00 pm »
Jesse Malin did not seem alt country at all to me, but lets not try and define alt country.  All I know is he gave one of the most boring performances I have ever seen.

markie

« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2003, 01:38:00 pm »
  In the Sting issue, I saw a pic of an issue with Ryan Adams on the cover
[/QB][/QUOTE]

isnt it the sting issue because it has sting on the cover? See the pic at the top of this page.

Over 25 is old. Well that is how the music biz and this mag sees us.

« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2003, 01:42:00 pm »
In the Sting issue, there was one of those drop out cards where you can order the magazine, which had a picture of another issue on it. The cover picture on that issue was of Ryan Adams.

In the Sting issue, I saw a pic of an issue with Ryan Adams on the cover
[/b]
isnt it the sting issue because it has sting on the cover? See the pic at the top of this page.

Over 25 is old. Well that is how the music biz and this mag sees us. [/QB][/QUOTE]

« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2003, 01:46:00 pm »
A boring live performance doesn't always mean the record sucks, but in my opinion Malin's album was a pretty average Ryan Adams produces alt-country affair.

Originally posted by pollard:
  Jesse Malin did not seem alt country at all to me, but lets not try and define alt country.  All I know is he gave one of the most boring performances I have ever seen.

markie

« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2003, 01:47:00 pm »
 [QB] In the Sting issue, there was one of those drop out cards where you can order the magazine, which had a picture of another issue on it. The cover picture on that issue was of Ryan Adams.

That makes more sense. Its a new mag with only five issues to be released in its first year. You might have to wait 11 weeks to get your hands on that Ryan Adams issue.

« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2003, 01:56:00 pm »
Not sure what you mean with that one. I know I don't listen to much of the same music I did when I was 20, and I certainly don't listen to much of the music that today's 20 year olds listen to.

[qb]

Over 25 is old. Well that is how the music biz and this mag sees us. [/b]