Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243936 times)

atomic

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3840 on: November 23, 2013, 12:01:45 am »
oh, great.  the news the beer world has been waiting for... samuel adams is finally jumping on the IPA bandwagon.  pertinent details:

"Introducing Rebel IPA, the first all-American hops, West Coast style IPA from the same brewers that started a craft beer revolution in 1984."
HOP VARIETIES: American Cascade, Simcoe®, Chinook, Centennial, and Amarillo
6.5%ABV
IBUs: 45
(http://www.samueladams.com/craft-beers/rebel-ipa)

it's holding a 82 on BA, so it can't be all bad (nor is it all good, either) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/95386

I guess now that Sam Adams is making the fad will die. 

Bagley

« Reply #3841 on: November 25, 2013, 01:16:01 pm »
Another try for Sam Adams-

Double Agent IPL?
"Full of the bold grapefruit & piney character of an American IPA, this brew also reveals its smooth lager side creating a balanced, flavorful brew."

HOP VARIETIES-
Zeus, Simcoe, Citra, Ahtanum, Cascade, Centennial, and Nelson Sauvin hops

5.0 abv

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3842 on: November 26, 2013, 11:30:51 am »
Picked up two sixers of Great Lakes Xmas Ale. Between that and BCBS being released on Friday, it's going to be an expensive week.

James Ford

« Reply #3843 on: November 26, 2013, 12:16:04 pm »
Where are you going to be getting BCBS on Friday?

Picked up two sixers of Great Lakes Xmas Ale. Between that and BCBS being released on Friday, it's going to be an expensive week.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3844 on: November 26, 2013, 12:20:05 pm »

Going to upstate NY for Thanksgiving, so the beer store by my parents place. They didn't have a bottle limit on Cherry Rye last time so I went to town.

James Ford

« Reply #3845 on: November 26, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »
Ah nice. Totally forgot that Goose Inbev casts such a wide net!

I bought one coffee, one cherry, and one four pack last year. So far, I've only drank one 12oz bottle.

I really shouldn't buy any this year based on my 12 month consumption. I blame my wife for the lack of consumption. She only pretends to like imperial stouts when she's around beer geeks (besides myself).

Going to upstate NY for Thanksgiving, so the beer store by my parents place. They didn't have a bottle limit on Cherry Rye last time so I went to town.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3846 on: November 26, 2013, 12:50:08 pm »
Ah nice. Totally forgot that Goose Inbev casts such a wide net!

I bought one coffee, one cherry, and one four pack last year. So far, I've only drank one 12oz bottle.

I really shouldn't buy any this year based on my 12 month consumption. I blame my wife for the lack of consumption. She only pretends to like imperial stouts when she's around beer geeks (besides myself).

consumption issue, eh? if only there was some other avenue to enjoy these bottles... like a forum bottle share or something.

Yada

« Reply #3847 on: November 26, 2013, 12:54:06 pm »
James,

I suggest you get all wild and crazy and take down one of those 12 ozers yourself over this holiday weekend.

James Ford

« Reply #3848 on: November 26, 2013, 01:42:13 pm »
That's like 420 calories of beer in one sitting. Are you kidding? I have a girlish figure to maintain.

James,

I suggest you get all wild and crazy and take down one of those 12 ozers yourself over this holiday weekend.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3849 on: November 26, 2013, 02:26:02 pm »
i'm currently in vermont. on the drive up i stopped at State Line Liquors, at the MD/DE border.  amazing beer selection.  they had a 20% off sale on all belgians so i picked up a LambickX, a Lindmans Cuvee Rene and a Oud Beersel Framboise.  i was in a sour mood ;D

the in-laws live on a farm in the sticks.  most of vermont is nowhere, and they're on the edges of that.  a few miles up the road is a general store and a gas station.  and in this little station, middle of nowhere, i found a ridiculous beer selection.  great prices too.  i picked up a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, a Lodgson Seizoen Bretta, a 1.5 year old Mathilda, and a Rock Art Vermonster barley wine... all for cheaper than i've seen them anywhere else.  go rural vermont.

doesn't look like i'll be snagging any heady topper or lawsons.  it would require a 3 hour round trip for either one, and a full day expedition to snag both... i got other shit to do.

dude.  grab me a few if you can.  seriously.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #3850 on: November 26, 2013, 02:37:41 pm »
I don't have a beer cellar per se, but have extra bottles of KBS, BCBS, Parabola, etc. etc... Will it hurt to leave the beer in a refrigerator or would you suggest just leaving the beer in a cool, dark spot in the basement?

brennser

« Reply #3851 on: November 26, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »
i picked up  a Lodgson Seizoen Bretta... for cheaper than i've seen them anywhere else.  go rural vermont.

dude.  grab me a few if you can.  seriously.  ;D ;D

James Ford

« Reply #3852 on: November 26, 2013, 03:28:48 pm »
My high ABV stuff like that sits in a cool, dark-ish area 12 months a year. Except it's not really that cool there in the summertime.

My wife says some of the aged stuff tastes "musty", I argue that it just tastes "mellow".

I guess I don't really have an answer for you. To be honest, I age beer because I'm a more enthusiastic buyer of beer than I am a consumer of it. Not because i'm hoping that it tastes better with age.

I don't have a beer cellar per se, but have extra bottles of KBS, BCBS, Parabola, etc. etc... Will it hurt to leave the beer in a refrigerator or would you suggest just leaving the beer in a cool, dark spot in the basement?

James Ford

« Reply #3853 on: November 26, 2013, 03:30:31 pm »
Was that the Warren Store by any chance? Or are you saying you actually found those beers at a gas station?

the in-laws live on a farm in the sticks.  most of vermont is nowhere, and they're on the edges of that.  a few miles up the road is a general store and a gas station.  and in this little station, middle of nowhere, i found a ridiculous beer selection.  great prices too.  i picked up a Jolly Pumpkin La Roja, a Lodgson Seizoen Bretta, a 1.5 year old Mathilda, and a Rock Art Vermonster barley wine... all for cheaper than i've seen them anywhere else.  go rural vermont.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #3854 on: November 26, 2013, 03:36:17 pm »

You mean the Backyard Rye 22oz, or any 12oz variety? Cherry Rye isn't out this year.