Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243948 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7845 on: January 23, 2017, 11:35:46 am »
we learned that NYC makes some pretty good beer.

... such as?
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #7846 on: January 23, 2017, 01:30:33 pm »

... such as?

Imma go on a limb and say Other Half, Single Cut, LIC, and Sand City.

Yada

« Reply #7847 on: January 23, 2017, 01:45:19 pm »
two things

1.  http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/sierra-nevada-brewery-issues-36-state-recall-of-select-beers/ar-AAm7GDR?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

2.  I broke down and had some beer this weekend.  filled a growler for a poker game to share with my friends and I had a glass or two.  it was tasty incredible but expensive.  Cascade  The Vine.  I still don't really miss it but it was nice that I picked a winner for my re shot back at it.

Blessings walky.

Space Freely

« Reply #7848 on: January 23, 2017, 02:13:31 pm »

... such as?

Imma go on a limb and say Other Half, Single Cut, LIC, and Sand City.

Not a bad guess but you do realize Sand City is 48 miles away from Other Half (which was actually close to our hotel), right?

Friday was Queens day, we hit the Museum of the Moving Image, free on Inauguration Day. Lot of cool movie and tv stuff, as well as some good interactive exhibits for the kids (and adults). Beer stops were Singlecut and LIC. Singlecut's hoppy beers were fantastic (I think DC beer geeks already know this as they've been shpping here for a while). Their sours were so-so. Their taproom was cool, very uncrowded at 5 on a Friday. Large collection of vintage LP's, they spun Morrissey and the Beatles, and we escaped before the Billy Joel that was on deck got played. Meat-centric menu, we grabbed a pretzel.  We grabbed some Thai takeout and took it to LIC. Not sure if it was an off night, but they IPA's they has on draft weren't that good (at least compared to SingleCut!) And the music sucked. They were releasing three double IPA's the next day, including a collab with Sand City. That was probably the day to be there, but we were done with Queens at that point.

Saturday was Brooklyn day, we met two separate friends at two separate locations, and went skating at Prospect Park. Beerwise, we hit Other Half. Very small, very industrial, tiny taproom across from a McDonald's and adjacent to an auto garage. Very cool (dare I say hipster) vibe, with music by Charles Bradley and someone else of that ilk I'm forgetting). Tried three different IPA's...two east coast style, one west coast style, all fantastic. We also tried to go to Threes Brewing, but in spite of it being the largest place we went to, was stacked with bros at 3pm on a Saturday, so we just walked out. WAs also interested in Interboro and Greenpoint, but we had not plans to be near Williamsburg/Greenpoint.

Sunday we went to the Met and didn't drink a beer until we got home, where we split a Veil beer.

So big thumbs up for SingleCut and Other Half, LIC was ok, probably was on off night.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7849 on: January 23, 2017, 02:31:51 pm »
two things

1.  http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/sierra-nevada-brewery-issues-36-state-recall-of-select-beers/ar-AAm7GDR?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

2.  I broke down and had some beer this weekend.  filled a growler for a poker game to share with my friends and I had a glass or two.  it was tasty incredible but expensive.  Cascade  The Vine.  I still don't really miss it but it was nice that I picked a winner for my re shot back at it.

Blessings walky.

I thought of you as I swallowed . . . the first sip.  And I lost at poker.

Space Freely

« Reply #7850 on: January 23, 2017, 09:22:08 pm »
Oh, I forgot to add we had a Hill Farmstead Galaxy APA on draft in NYC too.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #7851 on: January 24, 2017, 10:13:54 am »
Spent last weekend in Clearwater Beach and literally drank Jai Alai the entire time. The convenience store next to our hotel actually carried Toppling Goliath and cans of Pseudo Sue which made me do a double take. Then I realized they were canned back in early November and was like nope.

Bagley

« Reply #7852 on: January 24, 2017, 11:35:13 am »
Got reacquainted with some Wings of Armageddon on draft recently.  Delicious!

Bagley

« Reply #7853 on: January 25, 2017, 02:34:39 pm »
7th Annual Barleywine Festival
February 25 & 26 - Mad Fox Brewpub, Falls Church
Join us for the Mid-Atlantic's largest Barleywine Event! Sample more than 30 special and limited edition barleywines from around the region and across the country.
More information coming soon!

Space Freely

« Reply #7854 on: January 25, 2017, 02:37:52 pm »
Join us for the Mid-Atlantic's largest Barleywine Event! Sample more than 30 special and limited edition barleywines from around the region and across the country.

Meh. Been twice and not impressed by the selection. Good beer no doubt, but. Nothing rare. Nothing out of market. Nothing you couldn't find on the shelf at Total Wine. Food not that great either.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7855 on: January 25, 2017, 03:23:14 pm »

Meh. Been twice and not impressed by the selection. Good beer no doubt, but. Nothing rare. Nothing out of market. Nothing you couldn't find on the shelf at Total Wine. Food not that great either.

but at total wine, you have to buy the whole bottle, can't get a small pour.  are you going to walk out with 20 bottles of barleywine so you can taste each one?
<sig>

Bagley

« Reply #7856 on: January 25, 2017, 04:10:19 pm »
ok, bring on the haters-  The Hopslam is out in Maryland

Space Freely

« Reply #7857 on: January 25, 2017, 05:32:51 pm »

but at total wine, you have to buy the whole bottle, can't get a small pour.  are you going to walk out with 20 bottles of barleywine so you can taste each one?

I don't live close enough to Mad Fox to try 20 barleywines, either.

I guess for someone new to barleywines, this would be a great event (with the caveats that were already stated). We went last year (we actually just happened to be in the area so figured what the hell) and struggled to find stuff we hasn't already tried.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #7858 on: January 25, 2017, 06:55:52 pm »
Hopslam is also at my local beer shop in Winchester Virginia. I bought a six-pack just because. I have another poker game coming up soon and I'm sure my friends will be delighte :-\d that I share such excellent beer with them.

hutch

« Reply #7859 on: January 25, 2017, 07:40:11 pm »
I love the Mad Fox.. I think the food is very yummy too....

the service can be spotty so make sure you start screaming