Author Topic: No Baseball in DC?  (Read 31130 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: No Baseball in DC?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
here's a novel idea... how about making the stadium a co-op venture.  that way all those people in the region who want the damn thing can pony up and own part of the stadium.  it become an investment, and being stadium owners they can negotiate with the baseball team for perks like ticket discounts, etc.    oh wait thats to crunchy of an idea for most americans...
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2004, 11:21:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  here's a novel idea... how about making the stadium a co-op venture.  that way all those people in the region who want the damn thing can pony up and own part of the stadium.  it become an investment, and being stadium owners they can negotiate with the baseball team for perks like ticket discounts, etc.    oh wait thats to crunchy of an idea for most americans...
and major league baseball doesnt care, they wont wait around for that to happen, they can go to some other city

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
and major league baseball doesnt care, they wont wait around for that to happen, they can go to some other city [/b]
tell me again why taxpayers should subsidize a fat-cat industry which by your admission "doesn't care?"

I have an idea for a fun sport -- every time someone talks about baseball players as "role models," bean them in the head with a fastball.
_\|/_

ratioci nation

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 11:36:00 am »
Originally posted by HerrDoktorDoom:
  tell me again why taxpayers should subsidize a fat-cat industry which by your admission "doesn't care?"

I have an idea for a fun sport -- every time someone talks about baseball players as "role models," bean them in the head with a fastball.
my main complaint here is how this was handled by the city council, I like baseball, I liked the idea of going to national league games in the city, but I can certainly undertand the complaints about the deal, but I also dont think it is as bad or as good as anybody is saying

anybody who ever thought that major league baseball actually cared has to be crazy, they were looking for the best deal

• my blog
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2004, 11:37:00 am »
  [anybody who ever thought that major league baseball actually cared has to be crazy, they were looking for the best deal
Well fuck 'em.  I'm a taxpayer, and I'm looking for the best deal too.  And the best deal is no baseball.
_\|/_

ratioci nation

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2004, 11:39:00 am »
 Well fuck 'em.  I'm a taxpayer, and I'm looking for the best deal too.  And the best deal is no baseball.
you forgot to mention the fat cats

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2004, 11:40:00 am »

you forgot to mention the fat cats [/b]
LOL.

and the fact that National League teams suck and are only good for some good old fashioned World Series sweepin!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2004, 11:42:00 am »
The problem I have with all this is that the DC council went back on their word.  Plain and simple.  They approve a plan and then, thinking they could get away with it once MLB had a few more eggs in the DC basket, changed their minds.

The fact of the matter is the DC government looks really stupid once again.

I don't live in DC so my opinion doesn't really matter anyway.  I'm for baseball in dc and would be even if some of my tax dollars were used to make it happen.  That's just me though and I know many here don't agree.

ratioci nation

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 11:46:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
   and the fact that National League teams suck and are only good for some good old fashioned World Series sweepin!
I wonder if Pedro will like the National League  :(

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2004, 11:50:00 am »

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
I wonder if Pedro will like the National League   :(  [/b]
He'll like his $50 Million though, i am sure of that.  He's been OK in the NL before.  

anyway, by next summer I will be saying "Pedro who?"

and yes, Renteria is EXACTLY what we need.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 11:52:00 am »
first all, the expos do not have an owner. . .and now, they will probably never get an owner.  brazil really doesn't know what he's doing, but he made the final point "if you wanted to kill this thing all along, why didn't you do it when we started the meeting"- or something like that.  boswell's article is scathing in its criticism of cropp, and i think he's on the mark. . .she knows exactly what she's doing, and has probably been planning this all along.  

i'd like to thank herr doom for all of his knee-jerk, boilerplate statements. . .i have to wonder if you've even read anything about this, other than what you've been told to think and say.
OU812

• my blog
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2004, 11:57:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
 i'd like to thank herr doom for all of his knee-jerk, boilerplate statements. . .i have to wonder if you've even read anything about this, other than what you've been told to think and say.
I have to wonder if you know anything about this, other than the fact that you really, really like baseball.

http://www.nodctaxesforbaseball.org/
_\|/_

ratioci nation

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2004, 12:02:00 pm »

http://www.nodctaxesforbaseball.org/
why bother with newspapers, lets just go to something unbiased like nodctaxesforbaseball.org

Venerable Bede

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2004, 12:03:00 pm »

I have to wonder if you know anything about this, other than the fact that you really, really like baseball.
 [/b]
are you a business that makes more than $2 million a year?  then, i really wouldn't worry about this tax increase.
OU812

• my blog
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2004, 12:06:00 pm »

http://www.nodctaxesforbaseball.org/ [/b]

I read the Washington Post every day, but I assume you know how to find that link?

You still have said nothing that challenges the fact that baseball players are a bunch of tobacco-chewing millionaire rednecks, the owners are a bunch of slimy no-class cologne-drenched fat cats with mobster ties, and people who think "intangible benefits" are worth squandering millions of taxpayer dollars are a bunch of glassy-eyed dreamers who've seen "Field of Dreams" a few too many times.
_\|/_