Author Topic: Demolish Nissan Pavilion...the Coldplay thread.  (Read 30946 times)

muschi

Re: Demolish Nissan Pavilion...the Coldplay thread.
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2005, 01:18:00 pm »
i was afraid but now i cant come out. i heard dave matthews playing over and over all day long at my gym an i wanted to slit my wrists. i get so irritated at the gym espeically after during a set that i blurt out "this music sucks!"

man, dave matthews blows. sounds like lame-ass yodeling. i thought to myself, its like this bands members long ago said "hey lets have freddy join with the band with his violin" as a neat one time thing. and it was all quirky and odd and they stuck with it, milking it. somehow this novelty caught on w that bland crowd that likes this bland wiener-music-lite.

i once read an article in playboy that was so dead on, wish i still had it, it categorized the social groups of people and why they listen to what they listen to. and this group who listens to the yodel-man band likes to be "in", what is popular but likes to think its their own little secret/discovery but its another consumable just like their abercrombie clothes. and its sweet and it goes down easy without all that nasty bite and substance.

timcorsi

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2005, 01:18:00 pm »

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2005, 02:09:00 pm »
(o|o)

Candy Flesh

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2005, 02:21:00 pm »
I was dissapointed that there were no screens for the people in the lawn. And yes the traffic leaving and going was horrible.  My friend and I ended up driving thru some weird dirt path we found in the woods to get out of there after the show. Thank goodness we did, I wasn't in the mood to sit for another hour. Decent show minus the traffic and no tv screens.

PS did Chris Martin seem drunk or was that just me?

jenmex

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2005, 03:09:00 pm »
I don't care if it's the greatest band in the world and you have free tix...unless you have a helecopter to get in and out of that hell hole there's no point in going to the Nissan Pavilion.  Ever.

Plus, who stops serving 25 minutes after the show starts???  After 3 hours in bumper to bumper traffic I'd have happily paid for 5-6 drinks at $7 a pop just to get the edge off...but they shut down the concessions.  It's a POS venue...it was my first and last time there.  I've never had a venue so overshadow my concert experience.  :mad:

cbcpapa

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2005, 03:35:00 pm »
Um does anyone at the show remember that at one point they did use the video screens. IT was like a clip of a bear walking back and forth which I still didn't understand. It was only for one song but it is pretty clear that they were working.

helicon1

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2005, 03:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  conversation continued on dcist...

http://www.dcist.com/archives/2005/10/03/coldplays_traffic-inducing_concert.php
hehe, all the DC young professional hipsters are up in arms! 17 comments so far. Glad I didn't go.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2005, 03:43:00 pm »
that's pretty cute
o/\o

sonickteam2

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2005, 03:45:00 pm »
wow.  i have never been to the Nissan Pavilion and I have never heard anything good about it.

I would go if Radiohead was playing. thats probably it though.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2005, 03:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam, forum nice guy:
Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins - that's pretty much it for me as well.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2005, 03:49:00 pm »
  wow.  i have never been to the Nissan Pavilion and I have never heard anything good about it.
i used to live in manassas and i still have never been there
o/\o

sonickteam2

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2005, 04:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:

Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins - that's pretty much it for me as well. [/b]

dude, i think the Pumpkins broke up....sorry to break the news..  ;)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2005, 04:26:00 pm »
  dude, i think the Pumpkins broke up....sorry to break the news..   ;)  
dude, reunion tour spring/summer 06..  ;)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2005, 05:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:

Originally posted by you be betty:

last night we left at 4:30 from Bethesda, and arrived at around 8:15.  Rilo Kiley, who i was there to see more than i was to see Coldplay, had been playing since 7:30ish; and we only caught about three or four of their songs.  i almost cried.
As I recall, they came on late, and only played 8 songs, so you didn't miss a whole lot.

It's A Hit
 I Never
 Pull Me In Tighter
 Does He Love You*
 A Man/Me/Jim*
 More Adventurous*
 The Execution Of All Things
 Portions For Foxes

The ones with astericks could be out of order. The people in the pit were mostly polite except for one kid who kept either yelling "You're dead, Matthews" or "Theme Song to Boy Meets World" at Blake or "Show us where babies feed!" at Jenny. I wanted to smack that bastard. [/b]
we drove into the pavilion as Does He Love You was finishing, and i almost started sobbing because Jenny sounded so beautiful (and of course any long-time RK fans like you or myself would get emotional and very overjoyed seeing them play such a huge venue--they have come so far in the last year or two and it's just amazing).  then i ran up those ginormous-ass stairs as fast as i could go and just dove onto the lawn to catch the rest of their set.  my friends and i were panting like crazy, but at least we caught the rest of the set.  but you can definitely remove the asterisk from Does He Love You   :cool:  

i wish you would have smacked those guys.  that whole band, in addition to being insanely talented are just some of the nicest and most humbling people you will ever encounter, and i love them all so very dearly.  especially Boesel.  i always seem to talk to him after shows.

the lawn folks weren't being that kind.  when Jenny said something like "wow, thank you all so much...we're really not used to playing to crowds this big" some guy shouted out "YEAH, WE CAN TELL!"  i yelled back something along the lines of "SHUT IT ASSFACE!"  people were just talking during their entire set, but i guess that is to be expected.  people are people.  at the end of the show, Blake said something like "this is our last song" right before Portions and some other obnoxious guy was like "THANK GOD IT'S OVER" and then some other guy yelled back at him "HEY, SHUT UP!  THAT'S MY BROTHER!"  well it clearly wasn't Blake's brother but it was at least a nice gesture.  

it makes me feel a little better to know that i didn't miss as much of their set as i thought i did, though...

Jaguär

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2005, 12:09:00 am »
There was something going on with traffic that day besides the show at Nissan. It was total insanity everywhere! I was on East West Hwy at Waverly and it took me 45 minutes just to get to Connecticut Ave., which is maybe only 1 mile away. All of Bethesda was a madhouse! Once I got up to the Capital Beltway, it was a bit better but traffic was still a bitch all the way home which is north of Baltimore. Now that definitely wasn't concert traffic, especially going north at between 5:00PM-7:30PM. Normally at about that time I can get home in about 1 1/2 hours, give or take 15 minutes. That day it took me 2 1/2 hours!