Author Topic: Baltimore Cleaner than DC  (Read 23775 times)

vansmack

Baltimore Cleaner than DC
« on: June 16, 2005, 02:27:00 pm »
Hey, when you lose out to Baltimore and Riverside (??!?!?!) it's time for a change.

http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=15115

Readers Digest: ...analyzing data to score each of the 50 largest cities on air quality, water quality, industrial pollution (toxics), Superfund sites, and sanitation. Rather than just the cities themselves, we looked at metropolitan areas, which include surrounding counties and suburbs. (This can have a real effect on a placeâ??s score; Chicago, for example, has excellent water but its score is brought down by problems in the outlying areas). Because we only looked at the 50 largest places, there may be smaller cities that are much cleaner or dirtier than theseâ??and because the scores represent relative rankings, that a city comes in first or last in a given category does not necessarily mean itâ??s perfectly pristine or dangerously filthy.

50 Cleanest Metro Areas in America

Portland (OR)  44.00  
 San Jose   40.71  
 Buffalo   38.29  
 Columbus  37.33  
 San Francisco 36.57
 Denver    36.17
 Rochester (NY)  35.71  
 Austin   34.00  
 Orlando  33.86  
 San Diego  32.57  
 Hartford  31.71  
 Sacramento   31.57  
 Las Vegas  31.43  
 San Antonio  31.00  
 Oklahoma City 30.57  
 Minneapolis  30.43  
 Indianapolis  30.29  
 Salt Lake City   30.00  
 Jacksonville  29.50  
 Charlotte  28.71  
 Virginia Beach   28.00  
 Cincinnati   27.29  
 Nashville  27.14  
 Riverside (CA)  26.43  
 New Orleans   26.14  
 Milwaukee   25.71  
 Seattle   25.57  
 Baltimore  25.29  
 Miami   25.00  
 Dallas  24.71  
 Tampa   24.29
 Memphis  23.86  
 Providence  23.43  
 Louisville  23.00  
 Washington (DC)   22.57
 Phoenix    22.00  
 Detroit    21.86  
 Richmond  21.86  
 Cleveland  21.57  
 Atlanta   19.43  
 Houston  19.14
 Los Angeles  18.29  
 Boston  18.14  
 Philadelphia   18.14  
 Kansas City  18.00  
 Birmingham  17.86  
 St. Louis   17.00  
 Pittsburgh  11.29  
 New York   8.33  
 Chicago  6.71
27>34

ratioci nation

Re: Baltimore Cleaner than DC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 02:30:00 pm »
poor St. Louis

Portland sure has a lot going for it though.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 02:38:00 pm »
Perhaps it was just the neighborhoods I was hanging around in, but I just returned from San Francisco, which I can say was the dirtiest, ugliest city full of fucked up degenerates in America. You want to see loser white people, just go to San Fran.

Good food, cd shopping and thrift store shopping there though, I'll give them that.

ggw

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 02:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by general grievous:
 Portland sure has a lot going for it though.
Doesn't it lead the nation in heroin overdoses?

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 02:41:00 pm »
Call it Frisco, that really riles up the natives (those that have lived there 10 months or more).  It was cleaner than DC, yeah, there are more homeless, even in Berkeley, but still cleaner than here.

I was yelled at by some hippie woman for idling my car while reading a map.  She claimed it was illegal to do.

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 02:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
dont know, but that would be one of many great qualities

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
My wife had some unwashed homeless addict get up in her face and call her a "scumbag", completely unprovoked. He was lucky he didn't get spat upon by me, or punched by her.

The hotel ( the Ramada Interntational) we were in had beefed up security because someone had gotten into to hotel, knocked on an elderly couples door, and stabbed the guy a number of times before the wife came out of the shower and figured out what was going on and started screaming for help.

South of Market, Market Street, the Tenderloin, the Mission, and the Haight are all just filled with trash, and I'm not just talking about the people. And don't get me started on the moron hippies in Golden Gate Park.

Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Call it Frisco, that really riles up the natives (those that have lived there 10 months or more).  It was cleaner than DC, yeah, there are more homeless, even in Berkeley, but still cleaner than here.

I was yelled at by some hippie woman for idling my car while reading a map.  She claimed it was illegal to do.

ggw

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by general grievous:

dont know, but that would be one of many great qualities [/b]
It also leads the nation in teen meth use.

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 02:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  Perhaps it was just the neighborhoods I was hanging around in, but I just returned from San Francisco, which I can say was the dirtiest, ugliest city full of fucked up degenerates in America. You want to see loser white people, just go to San Fran.
You should have called.  I might even have bought your wife a drink.

As far as being a bunch of degenerates, you really should venture out of Golden Gate Park and The Haight.  San Francisco just passed Stamford, CT and is behind only Boulder, CO as being one of the most educated cities in America.  Nearly 48% of our residents have a bachelors degree and almost 20% have a post doc degree.  I know having an education doesn't necessarily mean we're all using it, but if you've got a better indicator I'd be willing to listen.
27>34

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 02:57:00 pm »
Well I did see a whole lot more people sleeping on the streets of San Francisco than I do on the streets of DC.

In all fairness, we didn't get to go everywhere in San Fran, because of limited time (and I've been to other parts on other occasions).

Didn't know you were in SF. I guess I don't read the boards that closely.

Originally posted by vansmack:

You should have called.  I might even have bought your wife a drink.

As far as being a bunch of degenerates, you really should venture out of Golden Gate Park and The Haight.  San Francisco just passed Stamford, CT and is behind only Boulder, CO as being one of the most educated cities in America.  Nearly 48% of our residents have a bachelors degree and almost 20% have a post doc degree.  I know having an education doesn't necessarily mean we're all using it, but if you've got a better indicator I'd be willing to listen. [/b]

ggw

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  As far as being a bunch of degenerates, you really should venture out of Golden Gate Park and The Haight.  San Francisco just passed Stamford, CT and is behind only Boulder, CO as being one of the most educated cities in America.  Nearly 48% of our residents have a bachelors degree and almost 20% have a post doc degree.  I know having an education doesn't necessarily mean we're all using it, but if you've got a better indicator I'd be willing to listen.
Sure, but DC has the most advanced degrees, and the suburbs are kicking educated ass.

In March, a Census Bureau survey indicated that nearly one in five Seattle residents has a graduate or professional degree, ranking the city second nationally only behind Washington, D.C., in that category.

In the national list of counties...Howard County in Maryland tops the national list with 58.2 percent of its residents older than 25 with a college degree, followed by Montgomery County, Md., (56.3 percent), Fairfax County, Va., (55.9 percent) and Boulder County, Colo., (55.2 percent).

http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2004/05/10/daily1.html

godsshoeshine

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 03:01:00 pm »
wow...pittsburgh only beats new york and chitown. air quality is better there than here, streets are clean, must be all that mercury in the ohier river
o/\o

ratioci nation

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 03:01:00 pm »
 It also leads the nation in teen meth use.
so, in other words, teens looking to do anything to score some meth, even better

Rhett MiIIer

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 03:02:00 pm »
 You want to see loser white people? just come on over to my house!

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 03:03:00 pm »
DC-ites, take heart: you kicked both my current residence (Richmond) and my hometown's (Detroit) ass.