Author Topic: YaHoWha 13/Kohoutek/Afterhours/Dark Sea Dream at velvet Lounge, Friday 3/27!  (Read 1819 times)

snailhook

I am pleased to announce the first ever DC show by YaHoWha 13. I couldn't be more excited, as I named Kohoutek after Sun Ra's Concert for the Comet Kohoutek and Father Yod & the Spirit of '76 Band's debut Kohoutek (which features YaHoWha 13). These are the roots of the music that we create: the Eternal Now. Different vibrations for a different day. YaHoWha!

Friday, March 27
Velvet Lounge
915 U St NW
http://www.velvetloungedc.com
202-462-3213
$10, doors at 8:30pm, 18+

Yahowha 13 (improv psych trio from the '70s comes to the East Coast for the first time!)
Kohoutek (Music Fellowship, Philly/DC improv psych ensemble)
Afterhours (from Italy, backed Twilight Singers in Europe)
Dark Sea Dream (VA post-metal psych-gaze)

YaHoWha 13

Octavius Aquarian | Djin Aquarian | Sunflower Aquarian

"YaHoWha 13 makes Devendra Banhart look like Don Rumsfeld" -LA Times

YaHoWha 13 is the experimental musical outlet of The Source Family, a communal religious group living in the Hollywood Hills in the early 1970s who decided to fuse their musical talents and spirituality by forming an improvisational, psychedelic music group.

They began making LPs in 1973, all of which were recorded after hours of meditation at 3-6 AM in a soundproofed garage that served as the musicians' studio in the family's communal residence. All of the records with Father Yod's participation were completely improvised, with no rehearsals or overdubs. Most of the albums were small-press runs, with only 500 to 1000 copies made under the Higher Key Records imprint. They were sold to the general public in Father Yod's wildly popular vegetarian Source Restaurant for $10. These same records currently retail for thousands of dollars and are highly sought after by record collectors around the world. Though only 9 LPs were produced and released, it is rumored that more than 65 albums were recorded by the group and have since been destroyed.

The band changed members occasionally, morphing into various incarnations from Father Yod & The Spirit of '76 to YaHoWa 13 to The Savage Sons of YaHoWa, Yodship, and Fire Water Air, but the key players were always the same (Djin Aquarian on guitar, Octavius Aquarian on drums, and Sunflower Aquarian on bass). YaHoWha 13 released their latest, Sonic Portation, on October 28th via Prophase Records.

Northeast tour dates, March '09, with Philly/DC-based Kohoutek:

Wednesday 3/25, Philadelphia at Johnny Brenda's (w/ Niagara Falls)
Thursday 3/26, Baltimore at Talking Head (w/ Mopar Mountain Daredevils, Moon Pie)
Friday 3/27, Washington DC at Velvet Lounge (w/ Afterhours, Dark Sea Dream)
Saturday 3/28, NYC at Knitting Factory (w/ Amolvacy, Mopar Mountain Daredevils)
Sunday 3/29, New Haven at BAR (w/ Gringo Star)

teepo

how was yahowha 13. my ride decided to get up and leave a little after the end of khoutek's set, which was really on point that night. probably the best i've seen you guys, exceptional shit.

i'm really bummed out. please tell me i'll have another chance in seeing them.

snailhook

of the five nights we played with them, the dc set was my favorite.  the opening piece was the heaviest thing they did all week.  thanks for the positive feedback on our set...i was very pleased with it.  i felt it was a perfect composite of us at our most melodic, noisiest, spaciest, and dynamic.

the yahowha guys had a blast on tour with us and are planning to return to the east coast either later this year, or early next year. they are determined to continue, and i think it's for real.  i have to say, in quite a few years of playing with and booking older legends, these guys were probably the nicest guys i've ever worked with. they really are kohoutek's spiritual fathers. we even earned aquarian names!