Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 510784 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #1065 on: November 15, 2023, 04:26:49 pm »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1067 on: January 04, 2024, 11:28:48 am »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1068 on: January 04, 2024, 01:04:44 pm »
Hybrid pig-tofu to revolutionize the fake meat industry.

https://www.wired.com/story/moolecs-plant-pig-hybrids-will-make-fake-meat-taste-meatier/
Ive been vegetarian for over two decades and I can honesty say I’m certain no one was clamoring for this.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1069 on: January 04, 2024, 02:47:36 pm »

https://www.wired.com/story/moolecs-plant-pig-hybrids-will-make-fake-meat-taste-meatier/
Ive been vegetarian for over two decades and I can honesty say I’m certain no one was clamoring for this.

you're definitely not the target audience - you've already made the conversion to less/no meat.

methinks such a product is aimed at carnivores who are on the fence, willing to dabble with meat alternatives, etc.  doubt that this stuff would make a hardcore meat-eater go veggie, but i know plenty to folks who would eat vegetarian more often if there were more meat-like options.  the more alternatives there are for those who can't conceive of a meal without "meat" the better!  remember when beyond burger and impossible burger hit the market?
<sig>

« Reply #1070 on: January 04, 2024, 02:52:45 pm »
Plenty of folks would eat vegetarian more often if there were more meat-like options.
this is a huge market and Jules is wrong and he is not the market
it does sound disgusting tho
slack

Yada

« Reply #1071 on: January 04, 2024, 03:42:54 pm »

you're definitely not the target audience - you've already made the conversion to less/no meat.

methinks such a product is aimed at carnivores who are on the fence, willing to dabble with meat alternatives, etc.  doubt that this stuff would make a hardcore meat-eater go veggie, but i know plenty to folks who would eat vegetarian more often if there were more meat-like options.  the more alternatives there are for those who can't conceive of a meal without "meat" the better!  remember when beyond burger and impossible burger hit the market?

if I had more variety other than veggie + pasta or veggie + rice, I could be a convert...

« Reply #1072 on: January 04, 2024, 03:44:38 pm »
if I had more variety other than veggie + pasta or veggie + rice, I could be a convert...
you left out cheese! 
my MIL's vegetarian diet is 75% cheese bread and sugar
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1073 on: January 04, 2024, 04:45:24 pm »

things to put into rotation: tofu, seitan, rice and beans, impossible/beyond "meat", lentils, mushrooms, quinoa, eggs - tons of things to do with each of these
<sig>

« Reply #1074 on: January 04, 2024, 04:51:59 pm »

things to put into rotation: tofu, seitan, rice and beans, impossible/beyond "meat", lentils, mushrooms, quinoa, eggs - tons of things to do with each of these
where is the cheese?
also no avocados??

also, zero mention of the board's favorite veggie, the Potato!
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1075 on: January 04, 2024, 05:57:42 pm »
where is the cheese?

cheese is assumed.  duh.

also no avocados??

definitely love me some 'cado, i eat some on the daily, but they aren't high in protein.  maybe i'm old school, but my main challenge with eating vegetarian is getting sufficient protein.  getting enough carbs, fiber, lipids and micronutrients is very easy for non-meat-eaters, but protein can be a challenge (especially getting complete protein).  might be a carry-over from my meat-eating habits but for me a meal won't satisfy without protein.  you'll note that all of the suggestions in my previous post were high in protein.

also, zero mention of the board's favorite veggie, the Potato!

similar issue as avocado: low protein (but awesome for carbs!).  but shure, pair potatoes with a good source of protein and you're in biznatch... unfortunately the two sources of protein that i enjoy most with taters are cheese and sour cream - both high in fat  :'(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 05:59:26 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1076 on: January 04, 2024, 06:52:34 pm »
It's dead simple to vegan or near-vegan with Thai, Indian, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Mediterranean, etc.

Harder but not impossible with German, Filipino, French, 'Murican...

« Reply #1077 on: January 04, 2024, 08:11:36 pm »
I noticed Argentina wasn't on the list

I remember Hutch telling me his dad would tell the waiter to return the veggies delivered with his steak
(or some variation of that)
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1078 on: January 25, 2024, 01:39:06 pm »
The Turkey Pot Pie is superior to the Chicken Pot Pie in every way.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1079 on: January 25, 2024, 01:41:20 pm »
Also, Ekiben is the perfect salve now that Bao Bei is taping the Great Food Truck Race.