Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2648060 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #10260 on: May 08, 2024, 12:16:31 pm »
Steve Albini, 61, heart attack
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 12:18:53 pm by Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI »
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #10261 on: May 08, 2024, 12:26:15 pm »
Steve Albini, 61, heart attack

Wow, just as Shellac gets the cover of The Wire.

😐 🎶

nkotb

« Reply #10262 on: May 08, 2024, 12:45:31 pm »
Well that's the worst

Frosty Finger

« Reply #10263 on: May 08, 2024, 01:22:25 pm »
That sucks

Frosty Finger

« Reply #10264 on: May 08, 2024, 02:03:50 pm »
There’s a great chapter in the book about Fugazi’s In On the Killtaker about Fugazi trekking to Chicago to cut the album and Albini botching it!!

Frosty Finger

« Reply #10265 on: May 08, 2024, 02:13:50 pm »
The Breeders album the Pod is a great Albini recording.

Stooges The Weirdness was a complete failure and Albini must bear some responsibility.

Really he had great recordings and not so great.

Not sure what I think of his work on In Utero

Obviously Surfer Rosa is his definitive recording.

As far as his own music with Big Black and Shellac: not really my cup of tea.

Always thought it was awesome that if you could scrounge up just a little scratch he would record you.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 02:20:30 pm by Hutch »

« Reply #10266 on: May 08, 2024, 03:03:16 pm »
my favorite thing from Albini was this article on how signing to a major label is the probably worst decision most bands make
http://www.ram.org/ramblings/philosophy/fmp/albini.html

He also did PJ harvey's break out album too
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10267 on: May 08, 2024, 09:48:18 pm »
One of the better stories regarding Albini I saw today

https://x.com/mm6169/status/1788305947070214153?s=46&t=81bsTFbar0Jl_mHBl9WnuA
T.Rex

Frosty Finger

« Reply #10268 on: May 09, 2024, 08:13:12 am »
Apparently he had a heart attack when he was 25….

bearman🐻

« Reply #10269 on: May 09, 2024, 10:10:36 am »
I'm sure many or most of you know this, but Steve was my neighbor when I was a geeky preteen and teen living in Chicago. Every week, bands would show up in nondescript vans (though the Breeders had a Budget rental van with Ohio plates), unload equipment at odd hours, and for the most part we wouldn't see or hear much of anything happening at the house. But on occasion, me or my folks would cross paths with the likes of the Jesus Lizard, Bailter Space, the Breeders, Jawbreaker, Urge Overkill, Shellac, etc. Everyone was always extremely nice to me, and hence I'd buy their records when they came out, completely stunned at the genius coming out of the house across the street from me. And everyone was weirdly different, vibrating through the universe on a different set of waves than most other folks we knew. It became very easy for me to understand that it was OK to not be like everyone else, and that you could find a sense of community through music. Steve's loss is extremely personal for me, not because I knew him well (though he was incredibly nice to me when I asked if I could see his studio one day, and then another time he let me buy a ton of Shellac merch). All of this is to say that I can say how much of a loss this is not just to musicians, fans, or anyone who bought a Big Black or Shellac LP, or a PJ Harvey or Nirvana LP he engineered. Steve was a necessary and ethical voice who wanted people to think for themselves. He wasn't afraid to be controversial or direct, but I can attest he was patient, kind, and wickedly funny too. Every now and then, someone leaves the party early that leaves such a vacancy, and you know that nobody will ever fill it quite the way they could. Steve is one of those people. A true original, and someone the world needed at the time he was there. 61 seems young, but he used those years well and wisely.

Frosty Finger

« Reply #10270 on: May 09, 2024, 10:13:17 am »
Wow. I’m sorry

bearman🐻

« Reply #10271 on: May 09, 2024, 10:16:38 am »
Stooges The Weirdness was a complete failure and Albini must bear some responsibility.

The thing about Albini is he'd never intervene in the material or creative process. He was not a Gil Norton telling the band what note they should be playing or which guitar to use. So other than how the LP sounds (and I haven't listened to it lately), that's really a quality control decision on the band. Albini's techniques could famously expose flaws in the band's material or performance too. You had to have your shit together.

As for Big Black and Shellac, I never saw BB, but Shellac could destroy a room. Love the LPs too..."Atomizer" is pretty much one of the most violent LPs ever recorded, behind "Raw Power" by the Stooges.

bearman🐻

« Reply #10272 on: May 09, 2024, 10:17:15 am »
Wow. I’m sorry

Thanks. It sucks. A lot of us were really upset yesterday...a lot of exchanging of texts and sharing of stories. I've got some fun ones.

Yada

« Reply #10273 on: May 09, 2024, 10:19:08 am »
^^great story bearman, thanks for sharing^^

Frosty Finger

« Reply #10274 on: May 09, 2024, 10:20:32 am »

The thing about Albini is he'd never intervene in the material or creative process. He was not a Gil Norton telling the band what note they should be playing or which guitar to use. So other than how the LP sounds (and I haven't listened to it lately), that's really a quality control decision on the band. Albini's techniques could famously expose flaws in the band's material or performance too. You had to have your shit together.

As for Big Black and Shellac, I never saw BB, but Shellac could destroy a room. Love the LPs too..."Atomizer" is pretty much one of the most violent LPs ever recorded, behind "Raw Power" by the Stooges.

The LP sounds good and the CD sounds awful.

I hear ya though….