Author Topic: Fillmore SS Shows  (Read 127279 times)

reggie

Re: Fillmore SS Shows
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2011, 10:12:17 am »
I thought the whole point of this venue was so we could all be blessed by shows like Noel Gallagher?   ::)

That would be cool. I'm driving to Philly to see the Noel gig.

azaghal1981

« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2011, 04:13:18 pm »
Where are the "rock en Espanol" shows?
احمد

hutch

« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2011, 10:11:15 pm »

so far zilch... they haven't opened yet though..

but yea.. so far its 930 1 (molotov) fillmore 0

i just don't get it .. we don't even get frickin' manu chao..

Sir HC

« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2011, 11:42:55 am »
Wonder if this guy is in the Filmore demographic:

http://gizmodo.com/5836509/furious-drunk-man-attacks-motorist-with-live-power-line

Yee Ha!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2011, 12:25:24 pm »

do you think there is any chance - ANY CHANCE - that market forces are at play here (AKA no money to be made)?   or just plain scheduling conflicts (AKA many tours skip DC)? 

not everything is conspiracy and cosmic injustice...
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:17 pm »

do you think there is any chance - ANY CHANCE - that market forces are at play here (AKA no money to be made)?   or just plain scheduling conflicts (AKA many tours skip DC)? 

not everything is conspiracy and cosmic injustice...

No. There is no chance.

THere is no chance that market forces determine Manu CHao plays Philly and not DC

I mean think about how large the hispanic and international community is? And we dont' even get Manu Chao?

Its just an example. There is a chance Manu just doesn't want to play DC.. We never know anything with absolute certainty but overall DC does not get the number of Latin shows it should and often they are booked in venues too small/overcroweded.. sometimes the wrong acts are booked and nobody even goes.

And I didn']t say it was an injustice of a conspiracy did I? Why you trying to start someting? bored or something?

Its just people who don't quite understand the Latin music market/demographic or know how to reach out the community. Is that so startling?

I mean shit dude I was perfectly content to concede Azaghal's point so whats your problem ?

I mean really sweetcell is your point that IMP should promote 1 latin rock show a year? you think that represents the demographics of the city it "serves"? Please. Think before you write.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:13:49 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2011, 01:19:45 pm »
There are plenty of bands/acts that should have been booked in DC a long time ago:

Charly Garcia, Andres Calamaro, Babasonicos

These are big names.. maybe not to you but to hundreds of millions people.

And not everything is about the bottom line.. most shows are..but we all know the 930 books certain shows just because..because of history..because of relationship..because Seth or whoever just woke up feeling like it...

IMP should make more of an effort to book Latin Rock acts.. thats a fact jack.

There is a history here sweetcell .. i doubt you know much about it.. of bands like Los Fabulosos Cadillacts NOT beeing booked at 930..instead playing Club Five (sellout).. or Gustavo Cerati - maybe most important Latin rocker until his recent stroke- playing the State Theatre (sellout)..Los Autenticos Decadentes (State Theatre, show did well/Black Cat [way oversold]), Enanitos Verdes (State Theatre twice in last two years)

The 930 has never booked these acts.. my guess is they don't have someone who understands this market/demographic/whatever....thats all it is.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 01:24:43 pm by hutch »

Mobius

« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2011, 05:18:33 pm »
If there are local venues booking these 'rock en espanol' acts already (state theater) what's the problem?  Do you also want 9:30 and the FSS to book more Legwarmers shows even though they play the state all the time?

hutch

« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2011, 05:42:38 pm »
If there are local venues booking these 'rock en espanol' acts already (state theater) what's the problem?  Do you also want 9:30 and the FSS to book more Legwarmers shows even though they play the state all the time?

Geez, one guy is "if they are not booking them it must be cause there's no money" and the next guy is "if there are already people booking them whats the problem"

There are two issues

1. The 930 Club and IMP are in DC as such they should somewhat reflect/cater to the diverse community/area they serve.  For example recently I noticed the 930 had a show by Ethiopian musicians.. I thought that was fantastic. well there are hundreds of thousands of hispanics in this area and yet you hardly ever see IMP booking any concerts for them... to me thats a problem.  there should be more than one show a year of Latin rock!

2. There are plenty of latin rock shows-that are not getting booked in DC even though the market is there/here. I'm sure some jackass will go "If you want to book them why don't you do it yourself?"  Um.. I'm not running a club in DC, jerky.

I can see that this would not be a big priority for many people but I don't think its the right way of serving the community and I will continue to call IMP out on it.

ggw

« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2011, 05:47:11 pm »
Did IMP start taking public funding or something? 

lagas

« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2011, 05:48:43 pm »
Charly Garcia, Andres Calamaro, Babasonicos
Hey Seth?
zorra

hutch

« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2011, 05:51:39 pm »
Did IMP start taking public funding or something? 

You dont' have to take public funding to serve the public do you?

By the way I'm sure IMP appreciates my feedback. Not sure what you clowns are trying to prove? Maybe your ignorance of other cultures?

ggw

« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2011, 05:56:34 pm »
If it such an untapped gold mine of a market, why don't you start promoting some shows?

As a private enterprise, I don't see how IMP has any responsibility to provide musical selections in-line with the area's demographic if they choose not to. Does Ben's Chili Bowl have a responsibility to serve the public good by serving burritos two days a week?

hutch

« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2011, 06:04:17 pm »
If it such an untapped gold mine of a market, why don't you start promoting some shows?

As a private enterprise, I don't see how IMP has any responsibility to provide musical selections in-line with the area's demographic if they choose not to. Does Ben's Chili Bowl have a responsibility to serve the public good by serving burritos two days a week?

This is ludicrous. Of course they have a responsibility - within reason- to cater to the community they operate in. What if the 930/IMP NEVER had a black musician play in spite of the fact they are located in DC?

By the way I don't think you are reading the posts you are responding to- TRY TO READ BEFORE POSTING REPLIES- I answered your untapped goldmine remark above.

ggw

« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2011, 06:18:47 pm »
So your answer is "yes, Ben's Chili Bowl has a responsibility to serve Salvadoran andd Ethiopian food."

Got it. Carry on.