Author Topic: Fillmore SS Shows  (Read 127290 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Fillmore SS Shows
« Reply #315 on: November 30, 2011, 11:05:47 am »
Never been to a bad show at DAR....well maybe once when Ryan Adams put me to sleep.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #316 on: November 30, 2011, 11:12:01 am »
Its definitely what Seth predicted....

At the same time I would not be surprised if FSS is overpaying for talent at this point while trying to get a foothold and establish itself...

DAR is an abomination. Unless you're on the floor with good seats the sound is horrible. I'm not sure though that the FSS will prevent shows being booked there..

Yada

« Reply #317 on: November 30, 2011, 11:12:46 am »
Never been to a bad show at DAR....well maybe once when Ryan Adams put me to sleep.

You serious?? I've never been to a good show there. Maybe WEEN front row once, but still not as good as seeing them at a packed sold out club show.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #318 on: November 30, 2011, 11:15:20 am »
Yes, I'm serious.  Arcade Fire, The Pixies and Erykah Badu all sounded great there.

You serious?? I've never been to a good show there. Maybe WEEN front row once, but still not as good as seeing them at a packed sold out club show.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #319 on: November 30, 2011, 11:21:42 am »
If you have 20th row center on the floor the sound is good at DAR but the sides? Forget about it.

I saw Nina Simone there and the sound was terrible (we were up on one of the sides).. also the Pet Shop Boys.. same problem.. Even the Experience Hendrix we were in front 10 rows but all the way to one side.. bad sound

Black Keys and Pixies I saw from about 20th row Center... good sound..

Phoenix I was about 10th row to side and suprisingly it sounded pretty good..

Moe was such a crap show I walked out.

thats my DAR breakdown.. I avoid the place..only show I've paid for at that place in past four years is Phoenix...I won tickets for the Black Keys...in fact I didn't go to the Ween show for that reason and I've regretted that decision...I lacked faith in the Boognish.

That doesn't even get into the issue of not being able to have a drink with you during show (maybe this has changed?)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:25:28 am by hutch »

Yada

« Reply #320 on: November 30, 2011, 11:28:43 am »
Yes, I'm serious.  Arcade Fire, The Pixies and Erykah Badu all sounded great there.

Wilco/Sonic Youth
Modest Mouse
WEEN
Pixies

Maybe one or two more... Just something really boring about that place, mixed with the crap sound, and no booze.

I think part of the problem is after seeing bands like Arcade Fire, Wilco, etc at the Club and then them playing there, it's just fucking awful, which is why I'd rather see them move to FSS than DAR.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #321 on: November 30, 2011, 01:31:39 pm »
I remember a couple years ago there was talk of enclosing the seated portion of Merriweather to allow it to have shows year-round.  I wonder if that is still being considered.  Seems like a great alternative to DAR, and somewhere I would much rather go for larger indoor shows, even with the longer commute to get there.

I think the shed in Camden, NJ (just across the river from Philly) might do this in the winter months.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #322 on: November 30, 2011, 01:51:24 pm »
Maybe one or two more... Just something really boring about that place, mixed with the crap sound, and no booze.

I think part of the problem is after seeing bands like Arcade Fire, Wilco, etc at the Club and then them playing there, it's just fucking awful, which is why I'd rather see them move to FSS than DAR.

seems that the no booze thing is now the exception rather than the rule.  for a while DAR was all uptight about drinks in the hall, but i can't remember the last show i saw there when they weren't allowed in.

you hit the nail on the head about the club --> DAR transition thing, it's a stepping stone for acts who have outgrown clubs.  there is a certain amount of whining going on here, IMO: whaaaa, whaaaa, i want my little band to remain little, i don't want them to play big venues and have other people liking them too!!! ;) 

i'm in the "DAR is fine" camp, but i've never had bad seats there.  as hutch pointed out, if you're in the front half of the hall you'll be fine (if not downright impressed, depending on the act/techies).  only bad sounding show i've ever seen there was eddy izzard, night 1 - waaaaaayyy too echo-ey.  otherwise, every show has sounded ok to great.  i'd LOVE to hear sigur ros at DAR.

DAR vs FSS?  haven't been to FSS yet, but based on what i'm hearing from other who have i might prefer DAR.

I think the shed in Camden, NJ (just across the river from Philly) might do this in the winter months.

yup, they do.  the camden shed is already enclosed (permamently) on three sides, so closing up the back (part that opens out on to the lawn) is relatively simple.

<sig>

Yada

« Reply #323 on: November 30, 2011, 02:15:18 pm »

DAR vs FSS?  haven't been to FSS yet, but based on what i'm hearing from other who have i might prefer DAR.

Sound: FSS
Booze: FSS
No one bitching at you for standing up: FSS
Intimate Setting: FSS
Pot Smoke Tolerated: FSS

FSS FTW!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #324 on: November 30, 2011, 03:35:59 pm »

Sound: FSS
Booze: FSS
No one bitching at you for standing up: FSS
Intimate Setting: FSS
Pot Smoke Tolerated: FSS

FSS FTW!

Step right this way!  Hand over your ID, your wallet and your soul and see what magical wonders await!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2011, 05:45:34 pm »
it would seem that they are just willing to pay talent more and pass on higher ticket prices to the consumer...$54 for the roots for example..

This cannot be emphasized enough.  Their ticket prices are awful and that scenario might explain it.

BookerT

« Reply #326 on: November 30, 2011, 05:55:33 pm »
it would seem that they are just willing to pay talent more and pass on higher ticket prices to the consumer...$54 for the roots for example..

This cannot be emphasized enough.  Their ticket prices are awful and that scenario might explain it.

just saying, but $54 is the price after fees. the "face value" price is $45 - exactly the same as when the roots played at 9:30 for 2 shows last year. and if you try to buy a ticket for a $45 show at 9:30, it'll end up the same $54 or $56 or whatever. you can argue you get a "more intimate" experience at 9:30 since it holds 800 or so fewer people, but the ticket price for a concertgoer is basically the same.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #327 on: November 30, 2011, 05:59:37 pm »

just saying, but $54 is the price after fees. the "face value" price is $45 - exactly the same as when the roots played at 9:30 for 2 shows last year. and if you try to buy a ticket for a $45 show at 9:30, it'll end up the same $54 or $56 or whatever. you can argue you get a "more intimate" experience at 9:30 since it holds 800 or so fewer people, but the ticket price for a concertgoer is basically the same.

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hutch

« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2011, 06:11:56 pm »
didn't realize the roots were up to 45 at 930

if thats the case then they are simply using their greater capacity (i'm still unclear if it is 1800 or what) to lure talent away from the 930...I suppose it could be possible the 930 was booked that night..

but there have been quite a few acts that used to play the 930 now playing the fillmore.... ziggy marley, trey, cheap trick.. can' recall what else..

there are also acts that used to play the warner now going there...widespread panic.. some of the comedy..this is simply Live Nation routing shows to the Fillmore that they used to route to the Warner...

i thought i had been noticing a trend towards higher ticket prices at the Fillmore than at 930..
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:23:50 pm by hutch »

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #329 on: November 30, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »
the "face value" price is $45 - exactly the same as when the roots played at 9:30 for 2 shows last year. and if you try to buy a ticket for a $45 show at 9:30, it'll end up the same $54 or $56 or whatever.

Ok, that's fair.  I thought the $54 was face.

My comment is also based on my experience of getting sticker shock for all three of the shows I've considered going to there (or considered getting dragged to) - Primus, Roots and Widespread Panic (ugh).  Panic is $60, I think?  That's not a shitload for a club show?