Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243082 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4860 on: September 19, 2014, 09:04:26 pm »
Right Proper>Three Stars!

"That beer"? Right Proper actually makes more than one beer!

Speaking of whether this is Nats or Beer thread appropriate, I hadn't much kept up with the DC Breweries lately, other than popping out to DC Brau for Wings releases.  However, at a game last week, I went by the DC Brews stand at Nationals Park and got Southern Belle from 3 Stars. 

Holy crap.  Maybe it was the ballpark offerings lowering my standards or the lovely fall feel to the weather, but I was very pleasantly surprised by that beer.  One of the best things I've had in quite a while.  Fairly hefty Imperial brown, good roasty chocolate taste, delightful mouth feel.

It's available for fills at the brewery and I may find myself heading that way tomorrow to grab some.  Give it a try if you haven't had it yet.

I concur. I'm a pretty big fan of most of their beer. I had the citra and lemon peel saison with oysters last night and it was quite delicious as well.

I was duped into going to Right Proper again last night, that beer is awful!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:05:59 pm by James Ford »

James Ford

« Reply #4861 on: September 19, 2014, 09:06:53 pm »
I just bought three large bombers of sour beer. What the hell was i thinking? The bill looks like a wine bill.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4862 on: September 19, 2014, 10:29:27 pm »
What did you get?
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4863 on: September 20, 2014, 07:38:04 am »
Right Proper>Three Stars!

"That beer"? Right Proper actually makes more than one beer!

Speaking of whether this is Nats or Beer thread appropriate, I hadn't much kept up with the DC Breweries lately, other than popping out to DC Brau for Wings releases.  However, at a game last week, I went by the DC Brews stand at Nationals Park and got Southern Belle from 3 Stars. 

Holy crap.  Maybe it was the ballpark offerings lowering my standards or the lovely fall feel to the weather, but I was very pleasantly surprised by that beer.  One of the best things I've had in quite a while.  Fairly hefty Imperial brown, good roasty chocolate taste, delightful mouth feel.

It's available for fills at the brewery and I may find myself heading that way tomorrow to grab some.  Give it a try if you haven't had it yet.

I concur. I'm a pretty big fan of most of their beer. I had the citra and lemon peel saison with oysters last night and it was quite delicious as well.

I was duped into going to Right Proper again last night, that beer is awful!

I haven't found one beer there worth having twice, so.... that beer = their beer in my original post.

James Ford

« Reply #4864 on: September 20, 2014, 08:05:17 am »
At Right Proper or at the grocery store?

At Right Proper, I've stuck mostly to saisons, and enjoyed them all. They also had a beer that was a take on a radler that was good.

At the grocery store, I got:

The Bruery Oude Tart 750ml
Weyerbacher Riserva '14 750mL
Panil Barriquee 750mL

all in the $18-22 range.

I should have just stuck with the three 330ml bottles of Cuvee de Jacobins Rouge for $6.99 each.

What did you get?

stevewizzle

« Reply #4865 on: September 21, 2014, 08:13:55 pm »
if you drink Natty Boh or Pabst, you support Putin.  you also have no taste in beer.

Pass the Brewski? Pabst Sold to Russian Company
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/pass-brewski-pabst-sold-russian-company-n207226

these beers are not meant for taste... they are meant for crushing in large quantities.

speaking of natty boh, classique by stillwater is a play on an old natty boh recipe modified with the use of a saison yeast.  it's excellent.

James Ford

« Reply #4866 on: September 22, 2014, 08:31:13 am »
I've never understood how people can "crush in large quantities" beer that tastes horrible.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4867 on: September 22, 2014, 12:01:55 pm »
these beers are not meant for taste... they are meant for crushing in large quantities.

you're right.  it comes down to what you want your beer to be: something you taste and intrinsically enjoy, or a vehicle for efficient intoxication.  given the gap between these two interpretations it's not surprising that neither side understands the other.

speaking of natty boh, classique by stillwater is a play on an old natty boh recipe modified with the use of a saison yeast.  it's excellent.

right, but the saison yeast - arguably the most flavorful style of yeast out there - makes up for a boring grain bill.  since you're getting almost nothing from the grains and hops, the big saison yeast has a blank canvas to explode upon.

i haven't tried classique yet, need to track it down.

I've never understood how people can "crush in large quantities" beer that tastes horrible.

the reason why they can is because it doesn't have much of a taste.  i don't think they taste bad, they just taste boring.  with their light body (aka "watery") there isn't anything to make you feel full.  i can down a gallon of water, i can't down a gallon of chocolate milkshake.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4868 on: September 22, 2014, 01:03:07 pm »
Mmmm. I'd (try to) drink a gallon of chocolate milkshake before I'd try to drink a gallon of PBR.

Bagley

« Reply #4869 on: September 22, 2014, 01:22:21 pm »
Had this on tap recently, thought it was great

http://ithacabeer.com/flower-power/?age-verified=f8d4fd1589

James Ford

« Reply #4870 on: September 23, 2014, 01:32:38 pm »
This one is worth posting simply because it's a scroll down and not a slide show.

The 15 best beers to drink this Fall.

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-15-best-beers-to-drink-this-fall-founders-sierra-nevada-firestone-walker-seasonal-beer

I was hoping they'd completely avoid pumpkin beers, but they only included one, so I can live with that.

Yada

« Reply #4871 on: September 23, 2014, 01:49:51 pm »
This one is worth posting simply because it's a scroll down and not a slide show.

The 15 best beers to drink this Fall.

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-15-best-beers-to-drink-this-fall-founders-sierra-nevada-firestone-walker-seasonal-beer

I was hoping they'd completely avoid pumpkin beers, but they only included one, so I can live with that.

I had Hop Knife over the weekend and thought it was pretty tasty.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4872 on: September 23, 2014, 02:22:30 pm »
in case you wanted to know what the big boys are up to:

Labatt is planning an expensive, intentionally misleading ad campaign for Shock Top
http://bensbeerblog.com/2014/09/22/labatt-is-planning-an-expensive-intentionally-misleading-ad-campaign-for-shock-top/

interesting factoid: their research shows that "75 percent of consumers believe Shock Top is from a small/unknown brewer.?  crafty indeed!

(and before someone makes the predictable and oh-so-witty comment about this being in canada so why care, Labatt is owned by Anheuser-Busch InBev.  this ain't local news...)
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4873 on: September 23, 2014, 04:06:20 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4874 on: September 23, 2014, 05:36:18 pm »
has anyone come across a picture of Engert where he doesn't look like a complete douche nozzle?

i haven't.
<sig>