Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243177 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6840 on: April 27, 2016, 09:51:42 am »
Picked up some Waldo yesterday.  This is my first new favorite beer in a very long time, I'll be sad to see it go.  Love the bright tangerine / mango / pineapple mashup right in the middle of all those hops.  Well balanced, hides the 12% blast.  I may have another tonight...

We split a Waldo last night. Four thumbs up from us. Bought two six packs, might have to get more if i can find it.

Yada

« Reply #6841 on: April 27, 2016, 09:53:00 am »
So, not sure any of you are excited about the Cap City SpingFest Mid Atlantic Beer Festival at Shirlington
I got a free pass so am going early

Just got an email of all the breweries:

CCBC Beer
Spencer Devon
Corcoran
Adventure
Ornery
Smartmouth
O?Connor
Honor
Full Tilt
Forge
Pleasure House
Heritage
Tin Cannon
Tall Tales

James River
Lost Rhino
Mad Fox
Caboose
DuClaw
Gordon Biersch
District Chophouse
Port City
Rock Bottom
Hellbender
Fair Winds
New District
3 Stars
Adroit Theory
Atlas
Starr Hill
DC Brau
Bold Rock (Cider)
Flying Dog
Heavy Seas
Old Bust Head
Devils Backbone
Copa di Vino (Wine)
Three Notch?d
Hardywood
Mustang Sally (even though I've never heard of these guys...I refuse to drink from them on principal)

So the first group of 13 I've yet to try (or even heard of these breweries)
any one have any opinions of ones are must trys?

It ain't no wicked weed invitational, I'll tell ya that much. 

Space Freely

« Reply #6842 on: April 27, 2016, 10:06:00 am »
So, not sure any of you are excited about the Cap City SpingFest Mid Atlantic Beer Festival at Shirlington
I got a free pass so am going early

Just got an email of all the breweries:

CCBC Beer
Spencer Devon
Corcoran
Adventure
Ornery
Smartmouth
O?Connor
Honor
Full Tilt
Forge
Pleasure House
Heritage
Tin Cannon
Tall Tales

James River
Lost Rhino
Mad Fox
Caboose
DuClaw
Gordon Biersch
District Chophouse
Port City
Rock Bottom
Hellbender
Fair Winds
New District
3 Stars
Adroit Theory
Atlas
Starr Hill
DC Brau
Bold Rock (Cider)
Flying Dog
Heavy Seas
Old Bust Head
Devils Backbone
Copa di Vino (Wine)
Three Notch?d
Hardywood
Mustang Sally (even though I've never heard of these guys...I refuse to drink from them on principal)

So the first group of 13 I've yet to try (or even heard of these breweries)
any one have any opinions of ones are must trys?

We've been to the Spencer Devon Brewpub in downtown Fredericksburg. Nice place, pretty decent ipa and stout. Went there after a day of tubing on the Rappahannock. I highly recommend the tubing. I wouldn't seek out Spencer Devon, but would consider going again the next time I'm in Fredericksburg.

Corcoran Brewing is in Purcellville. We stopped there one time when in the area (I think we were apple picking.) We had originally intended to stop at Adroit Theory, but they were closed for a members only event. Corcoran beers were ok, not as good as Spencer Devon. They did have some older folks playing bluegrass when we were there, so that was cool. I'm pretty sure it's right off a bike trail, as I saw several bikers stop in when we were there. If in the area, I'd consider stopping in again, but I'd more likely choose Adroit if just choosing one.

We've also been to Heritage in Manassas. They seem to get good distribution in NoVA. I think they're pretty big on the patriot theme (e.g. Freedom Isn't Free IPA). They make a good scotch ale, their other beers are pretty weak, imo. The thing that struck me about their tasting room is that when I asked for a tiny taste of something, the bartender refused and told me "That's what flights are for." We don't plan on returning there.

I think Full Tilt is Baltimore based and O'Connor is VA based (the other part of VA), but know nothing more about them. After that, I'm clueless on the other eight.

Edit: Plus what Yada said, right above.

« Reply #6843 on: April 27, 2016, 10:38:52 am »
It ain't no wicked weed invitational, I'll tell ya that much. 
as if...kinda want to make vacation plans to Ashville for that
Misses actually wants to visit that town...so perfect storm
problem would be leaving her with the kids for an afternoon while I get my funk on ;)
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6844 on: April 27, 2016, 10:53:34 am »
this weekend we'll be driving to Charlottesville taking I-66 --> US-29/15.  if i can only make one brewery stop, what should it be?

i'm tempted to petition that we kick up to 267 and hit Aslin, but i suspect that detour will be veto'ed.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6845 on: April 27, 2016, 10:55:37 am »
We split a Waldo last night. Four thumbs up from us. Bought two six packs, might have to get more if i can find it.

ugh, i'm hoping i can find some today.  i haven't had a chance to go looking yet.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #6846 on: April 27, 2016, 11:12:56 am »
this weekend we'll be driving to Charlottesville taking I-66 --> US-29/15.  if i can only make one brewery stop, what should it be?

i'm tempted to petition that we kick up to 267 and hit Aslin, but i suspect that detour will be veto'ed.

Was going to say Aslin on the way down... crowlers for the road, brah!

Space Freely

« Reply #6847 on: April 27, 2016, 11:24:16 am »

Was going to say Aslin on the way down... crowlers for the road, brah!

Aslin would add 24 minutes to your 2:13 trip. Doesn't seem that ridiculous.

If that's a no-go, I'd say just wait until you get to Charlottesville and hit up Champion. Their recent Fruit Basket DIPA was one of the best I've had made in VA (though it's not one of their regulars).

« Reply #6848 on: April 27, 2016, 11:26:04 am »
Brew the Zoo...July 19th 6-9pm
not sure on the pricing ...FONZ members get it cheaper and earlier

they haven't listed the breweries...but here are the list last year was pretty extensive
slack

« Reply #6849 on: April 27, 2016, 11:36:05 am »
not exactly that close...but much closer than Bend
4 hour drive from DC...guess if we send the kids to VATech, be a great pit stop

Roanoke City Council finalizes deal with Deschutes

developing a facility capable of one day producing a million barrels of beer a year, and the other is making sure the product tastes exactly like it does on the west coast.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6850 on: April 27, 2016, 11:54:32 am »
Aslin would add 24 minutes to your 2:13 trip. Doesn't seem that ridiculous.

if it was just me and the missus, 24 minutes would not be an issue.  but we'll have the kiddos with us, and after ~2 hours in the car an extra 24 minutes is hard to sell... then again it would be an opportunity to stop and let them run around, so who knows.  negotiations will commence tonight.

If that's a no-go, I'd say just wait until you get to Charlottesville and hit up Champion. Their recent Fruit Basket DIPA was one of the best I've had made in VA (though it's not one of their regulars).

cool, thanks for the rec!
<sig>

« Reply #6851 on: April 27, 2016, 12:52:21 pm »
.  but we'll have the kiddos with us, and after ~2 hours in the car an extra 24 minutes is hard to sell... then again it would be an opportunity to stop and let them run around, so who knows.  negotiations will commence tonight.
it's in a warehouse/office park ...not a whole lot of places to run around

although you could send the wife here as it's in the same office park
http://www.divafitonline.com/
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6852 on: April 27, 2016, 12:55:31 pm »
.  but we'll have the kiddos with us, and after ~2 hours in the car an extra 24 minutes is hard to sell... then again it would be an opportunity to stop and let them run around, so who knows.  negotiations will commence tonight.
it's in a warehouse/office park ...not a whole lot of places to run around

although you could send the wife here as it's in the same office park
http://www.divafitonline.com/

They're not exactly old enough to be marathon training...there's probably enough space for them do do circles around the tables...

« Reply #6853 on: April 27, 2016, 01:05:10 pm »
oh and the good news is the crowelers are back online (wasn't working for the last few weeks)
slack

brennser

« Reply #6854 on: April 27, 2016, 02:17:24 pm »
oh and the good news is the crowelers are back online (wasn't working for the last few weeks)
thats not entirely true, they have crowlers almost every week but also run out within a few days every time necessitating a day or two of growler fills

It must be pretty apparent to them by now that things are blowing up for them so I'm not sure why they don't just order larger amounts of crowlers - maybe they don't have enough space freely (see what I did there!!)