Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1312762 times)

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1785 on: November 11, 2015, 04:20:00 pm »
...also saw a mr Ian Mackaye hanging out by the merch table

found this tid bit in an interview with Ian
have you met Johnny Rotten?
 He didn't speak with me, so I didn't meet him, I guess. Minor Threat did open for P.I.L., October 31st, 1982, Ritchie Coliseum. We played for a pizza and a case of Coca Cola. That was our payment that night. When we came off stage, they pulled up in a limousine after us. It was sort of two ships passing in the night.

Johnny Lydon - Net worth $15mn

Ian Mackaye - Net worth $25mn

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/10760/20140924/highest-net-worth-punk-performers-john-lydon-henry-rollins-ian.htm

Never thought Ian Mackaye made that kind of $$$. Damn.

appears to be bullshit from what I can tell
although if he had taken just a little bit from Discord over the years and invested wisely in the DC area real-estate...would not have been that hard to turn $1mil in to $25mil in the last 20 years of the DC market

but no site has this number backed with any facts...they just say he's worth $25mill
some times they can figure out what an artist makes based on tour revenue and record sales as well as publicized endorsement agreements, last home they bought or sold

but Ian is certainly not doing those or making that info public

so it was likely a made up click-bait number

Now I was surprised to hear this Ian authorized Urban Outfitters to sell Minor Threat shirts for $28
I checked the date and it wasn't 4/1...but suspect this is possibly a hoax too

Just because the shirt is licensed doesn't mean MacKaye approves of the sweatshoppy clothing chain selling his band's shirts, though. "Do I think it's absurd? Yes, I certainly do," he says. He also thinks the asking price is ridiculous, but he's more or less resigned to it. "Motherfuckers pay $28, that's what they wanna pay for their shirts."
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1786 on: November 11, 2015, 04:33:28 pm »
...also saw a mr Ian Mackaye hanging out by the merch table

found this tid bit in an interview with Ian
have you met Johnny Rotten?
 He didn't speak with me, so I didn't meet him, I guess. Minor Threat did open for P.I.L., October 31st, 1982, Ritchie Coliseum. We played for a pizza and a case of Coca Cola. That was our payment that night. When we came off stage, they pulled up in a limousine after us. It was sort of two ships passing in the night.

Johnny Lydon - Net worth $15mn

Ian Mackaye - Net worth $25mn

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/10760/20140924/highest-net-worth-punk-performers-john-lydon-henry-rollins-ian.htm

Never thought Ian Mackaye made that kind of $$$. Damn.

appears to be bullshit from what I can tell
although if he had taken just a little bit from Discord over the years and invested wisely in the DC area real-estate...would not have been that hard to turn $1mil in to $25mil in the last 20 years of the DC market

but no site has this number backed with any facts...they just say he's worth $25mill
some times they can figure out what an artist makes based on tour revenue and record sales as well as publicized endorsement agreements, last home they bought or sold

but Ian is certainly not doing those or making that info public

so it was likely a made up click-bait number

Now I was surprised to hear this Ian authorized Urban Outfitters to sell Minor Threat shirts for $28
I checked the date and it wasn't 4/1...but suspect this is possibly a hoax too

Just because the shirt is licensed doesn't mean MacKaye approves of the sweatshoppy clothing chain selling his band's shirts, though. "Do I think it's absurd? Yes, I certainly do," he says. He also thinks the asking price is ridiculous, but he's more or less resigned to it. "Motherfuckers pay $28, that's what they wanna pay for their shirts."

Good to see you're making good use of your day off. ;)

ggw

« Reply #1787 on: November 11, 2015, 04:55:58 pm »
Remember when Dennis Miller had a late night show?  Henry Rollins was his guest one night and Miller was making a big deal about the fact that they tried to send a limo to pick up Henry (as they did for all their guests) and Rollins refused the offer of a limo ride.  Miller is going on and on about how "punk" it was of Rollins to reject the limo ride.  Finally, Rollins looks at him and says, "dude, my house is like 50 yards from this studio.  It was just easier to walk."  Miller tries to salvage himself by saying, "but if you lived further away you still wouldn't have taken the limo."  Rollins said he would have happily accepted the limo if he actually needed a ride. 

dyecraig

« Reply #1788 on: November 12, 2015, 02:04:27 pm »
what's the deal with the bela lugosi-esque guy at the side of the stage at the p.i.l. show?

hutch

« Reply #1789 on: November 12, 2015, 02:08:51 pm »
what's the deal with the bela lugosi-esque guy at the side of the stage at the p.i.l. show?

that is lydons best mate and manager... john "RAMBO" stevens

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1790 on: November 12, 2015, 02:12:13 pm »
I learned an important lesson last night: the moment you're walking out the door is not a good time to look for tickets ordered three months ago. So instead of rockin out, I watched the gop debate

if you had booked the night out/off, i would have still gone to the club and picked up another ticket out front or off CL.
<sig>

betao

« Reply #1791 on: November 12, 2015, 03:22:04 pm »

that is lydons best mate and manager... john "RAMBO" stevens

He has been side stage at every PiL show I've seen since 2010.

Relaxer

« Reply #1792 on: November 12, 2015, 03:38:05 pm »
I learned an important lesson last night: the moment you're walking out the door is not a good time to look for tickets ordered three months ago. So instead of rockin out, I watched the gop debate

if you had booked the night out/off, i would have still gone to the club and picked up another ticket out front or off CL.

Strongly considered doing this, but at 8:00 pm, it was still raining on and off so the idea of biking across town was less than desirable, especially for a sold out show (and I won't drive to a USMH show anymore because parking is such a bitch). And honestly, I really did want to watch the debate so I wasn't too gutted at missing the show.

In fact, my biggest heartache was over promising betao the ticket and then having to call him at 8:00 pm to say "uhhhh, remember that ticket I said you could have? well I can't find it."
oword

Yada

« Reply #1793 on: November 18, 2015, 11:09:59 am »
Didn't even know this show was happening last night, sigh.

Anyone catch Hiss Golden Messenger?

bearman🐻

« Reply #1794 on: November 26, 2015, 10:48:14 am »
Saw Best Coast do a concert for about 75 people in Chicago last night at the Virgin Hotel. Wish we had something like that here. Special promo-only events. They blasted through 16 songs and it was the most intimate show I've seen in some time. Great night. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

hutch

« Reply #1795 on: December 07, 2015, 10:14:51 am »

thank you dyecraig for your extra ticket to the Deerhunter show!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:22:20 am by hutch »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1796 on: December 09, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »
Another fantastic show from Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings last night.  Hard to believe she is under going chemo for her re-occurrence of cancer, because it didn't slow her down a bit.  Dug the funky versions of Christmas classics along with some great new holiday originals.   Great nearly full set from Saun and Starr (aka the Dapettes) whose record is one this years best.  Kosmette who isn't into soul as much as me, always enjoys see Sharon live.  It was nice seeing Dap-King original tenor sax player Neal Sugarman this, he doesn't always tour with the band.
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #1797 on: December 10, 2015, 09:46:58 am »
Another fantastic show from Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings last night.  Hard to believe she is under going chemo for her re-occurrence of cancer, because it didn't slow her down a bit.  Dug the funky versions of Christmas classics along with some great new holiday originals.   Great nearly full set from Saun and Starr (aka the Dapettes) whose record is one this years best.  Kosmette who isn't into soul as much as me, always enjoys see Sharon live.  It was nice seeing Dap-King original tenor sax player Neal Sugarman this, he doesn't always tour with the band.

Man, that's too bad... I read she was in remission. Ugh. I've been LOVING their cover of Inspiration Information as of late.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #1798 on: December 18, 2015, 12:35:52 pm »
I expected Foals to put on a good show but my expectations were definitely exceeded, looking forward to catching them again tomorrow in Philly.

Darth Ed

« Reply #1799 on: December 21, 2015, 12:44:18 pm »
I expected Foals to put on a good show but my expectations were definitely exceeded, looking forward to catching them again tomorrow in Philly.
I was a bit underwhelmed, honestly. It was a very good show, but I loved their previous show at the 9:30 Club, so I would call it a step down. I would recommend them though, and I would see them again. But the Lincoln Theatre didn't seem like a good venue for them. The sound was very muddy and not to my liking. (I was dead middle of the orchestra section.) Usually, the sound is great at the Lincoln, so I assume it was by design or incompetence or poor equipment.