Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1312895 times)

Space Freely

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3870 on: August 07, 2021, 07:25:02 pm »
Currently at my second Covid era show. The Pietasters at The Workhorse Arts Center on Lorton. Wish I had brought some pie.
That is all

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3871 on: August 11, 2021, 01:27:38 pm »
Had a great time at the James Taylor, Jackson Browne show. At 55, me and my S/O defintely brought the age demographic down a bunch. Saw a 70ish year old dude wearing his Hella Mega tour t-shirt. I am pretty sure he was me, time travelling. Didn't make eye contact just in case it would screw up the space time continuum. Confused about why I decided to grow that beard.

I had last seen JB in 1978 at Tanglewood in Massachusetts. Last night, I thought he sounded great. Strong voice, and talented band. Noticed that Jason Crosby, who I am best friends with having met him once and talked with for 20mins at a festival in Charleston, SC, is playing piano and singing with Jackson. So obviously, I reached out and he invited us to hang. /nope

James Taylor I had seen once, around 2 years ago, and he was still in good shape, and has surrounded himself with a bunch of talented singers to boost the songs, including his son. His band is great. Great songs, of my childhood, performed well.

Near the end JT and JB played the Eagles hit: Take it Easy, which JB had written for Glen Frey, or gave to Glen Frey, I don't know and will not investigate.

Merriweather looked and sounded great. This was a sold-out pavillion, heavily sold lawn show. I am guessing around 17000 people. A lot of them got very wet. I had four tickets and won 2 more through a contest, so we had 6 folks, and all of us enjoyed.

Bagley may have been present. Could not see him from my seats near the back, as his were up in first-class.

Next up: Wilco.

P.S. - The JB episode of the WTF p'dcast was cool. Listened today. Dude's been around.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 01:59:03 pm by challenged »

Starsky

« Reply #3872 on: August 11, 2021, 01:36:29 pm »
Nice! That sounds great.. made me wish I had been there..I need to ramp it up

I saw a short JT set many years ago and thought he sounded amazing

Starsky

« Reply #3873 on: August 11, 2021, 01:40:14 pm »
I would not have expected this show to draw that well…

Jackson Browne and JT have played places like the Warner Theatre!

Maybe people are really hungry for live music

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3874 on: August 11, 2021, 01:43:29 pm »
Maybe people are really hungry for live music

The Birchmere satisfies on both levels!

Starsky

« Reply #3875 on: August 11, 2021, 01:58:50 pm »
Ha ha

So most people didn’t wear masks?

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3876 on: August 11, 2021, 02:05:40 pm »
Ha ha

So most people didn’t wear masks?

very few wore masks where I was in 303.

Side note for Seth, we saw two I think non-inebriated women miss a step and fall right near our section. I think that the sameness of all of the concrete can be hard for some folks to see. Maybe some reflective tape on step edges?

Yada

« Reply #3877 on: August 11, 2021, 04:06:15 pm »
Phish Night One in Hershey...

Where to begin, a sensory explosion to say the least. Somewhat overwhelming the entire experience, not exactly a comfortable situation (I'm starting to fear big events will never feel comfortable).

I'd say 20% of the crowd was masked.... We had nearly 15 in our group, all vaxxed, all masked. I actually couldn't imagine not wearing a mask in the crowd. Only about 70% sold, so a ton of room for a GA show which did help.

Music left a lot to be desired (insert all of your phish hate here). Great 1st set, clunker of a second.... Maybe everyone was too hot and exhausted.

Carry on!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3878 on: August 11, 2021, 06:06:13 pm »
one benefit of wearing masks at shows like phish is that they can help mitigate the smell.  same for homebrewers' meetings... no0b's yeasty beer = gas.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #3879 on: August 11, 2021, 07:30:46 pm »
Boring stereotype

« Reply #3880 on: August 11, 2021, 09:41:14 pm »
last min decided to get over to Jammin Java to catch Clem Snide with my kid
got there a little late, no opener ...only played for 75 mins with a lot of banter
there were only 30 mostly masked patrons (wonder if the vid kept a lot home too), so I can understand why not playing a long show...
Only him and a dobro player
 sounded very sweet and mellow, he's just got the perfect voice IMO.  I could listen to him read the menu

Was nice to get out, but feeling like this is the beginning of the end of indoor shows
kinda reminded me of that Pougeatry show I saw on march 11th
slack

Starsky

« Reply #3881 on: August 11, 2021, 10:17:42 pm »
Seriously?

I don’t see that at all….

Clem Snide is way on the downside

Shows in general have been selling out left and right…

Society will and is adapting
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 10:22:58 pm by Starsky »

« Reply #3882 on: August 11, 2021, 10:30:58 pm »
Clem Snide is way on the downside
for sure, but only last year he had a sold out birchmere show with Scott Avett (with obviously the vast majority of tickets were sold to see him)
I wouldn't expect more that 75 to have shown up TBH, but 30 probably didn't pay for gas/hotel/food

Shows HAVE been selling out like crazy...but how many have gone on sale in the last week?
I just think we are going to get fucked on Rocktober two years in a row is all I'm saying
lets revisit this in two months
slack

Starsky

« Reply #3883 on: August 11, 2021, 10:45:38 pm »
You wrote “This is the beginning of the end for indoor shows.”

I didn’t understand you meant “Rocktober”

It’s all in the air though

But a Tuesday night show for Clem Snide out in the boonies isn’t much of a good barometer

« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 10:52:26 pm by Starsky »

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3884 on: August 11, 2021, 10:49:10 pm »
You wrote “This is the beginning of the end for indoor shows.”

I didn’t understand you meant “Rocktober”
H
It’s all in the air though

But a Tuesday night show for Clem Snide out in the boonies isn’t much of a good barometer

I agree, snide is no barometer.
Let's see how fast Finneas sells out his November 930clarb show.