Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2121766 times)

Bagley

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #6480 on: December 30, 2016, 11:12:43 am »
Schmilco

hutch

« Reply #6481 on: January 03, 2017, 12:06:22 am »
I listened to the Stones new one..Blue and Lonesome ... pretty good.. i gotta listen to it some more before i speak more

hutch

« Reply #6482 on: January 03, 2017, 05:59:14 pm »
found one of my record collecting "white whales" to start off the new year!.. the flash makes the cover look much nicer than it is in person! ha ha...but its a fairly decent copy actually..tons of scratches but does play through fairly nice... ... for $1.99 i'm very very pleased..this is the only copy I have ever seen "out in the wild" although I had seen the cover outside Red Onion Records on the window (old location)

walkie,talkie

« Reply #6483 on: January 03, 2017, 07:46:40 pm »
When I look around I realize that I don't know 90 percent of the bands anymore. 

hutch

« Reply #6484 on: January 03, 2017, 09:16:44 pm »
When I look around I realize that I don't know 90 percent of the bands anymore. 

Dude, tell me, you know, who, Phil Spector, is....

walkie,talkie

« Reply #6485 on: January 03, 2017, 10:16:09 pm »
I meant new bands that have come out in the last year or two.  I feel old that I think hot chip is still hip and relevant.

hutch

« Reply #6486 on: January 03, 2017, 11:16:20 pm »
I meant new bands that have come out in the last year or two.  I feel old that I think hot chip is still hip and relevant.
yes I figured

when I was a kid I didn't listen to bands that had "come out in the last year or two" did you?

I caught on to bands, often, quite a few years after they had started.. it took them a few years to get going, grow a fanbase, develop their music..

I bet the first time I heard New Order was probably around 85 86 after they'd put out like 4 albums and of course Joy Division had already happened..much like most people.. many came across them in Pretty in Pink

I'm not sure that hearing a band the "first year" is that great.. what they have one album? Pitchfork writes a nice review, they sell a few records and next year everybody forgets them, two years later the follow up is felt to not meet expectations and then they have to wait around for the 10 year anniversary of the album people liked to tour behind that

I mean there's always a "new band" to listen to.. isn't it the point to find "new bands" you will love for 40 years? That their music will still speak to you in 40 years..

I am having trouble finding such bands

there are tons of bands that people talk about this week but won't remember next year.....

the role of music in our society has changed... so it is hard to really visualize any band starting out today being talked about in 40 years...

when I was a wee one music was our life...we defined ourselves in a way by the music we listened to

nowadays music is one of many things... and even with music there is way more of it out there available to everybody

the music I listened to and loved in the 80s and 90s is a part of my DNA by this point...as it was for many of my peers..

that is just no longer the case... most people in the past generation or two.... its just not like that for them...

I have a lot of trouble finding new bands that speak to me in that way... the last one was the Hellacopters and by the point I got turned on to them they had broken up! I don't think they ever played anywhere in DC bigger than the Black Cat.. sad

I was listening to New Order's Substance in the car today driving around on the Deathway and man its just so good...

I dont' think its that I'm closed off.. I just dont' think music hits people these days the way it did back then... its just a very different scene today but in general and in music...

walkie,talkie

« Reply #6487 on: January 03, 2017, 11:41:50 pm »
Your posts are something. And that something is awesome.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #6488 on: January 04, 2017, 04:13:30 pm »
Jon Kwest & Sazon Libre present:

SOULOVE: A Moombahsoul Compilation to benefit Planned Parenthood & ACLU

This compilation is a collaborative effort from some of our favorite people! Seventeen new tracks by Dave Nada, Deejay Theory, Cutso, Ma-Less, DJ Baysik, Jon Kwest, Mr. Lucky, J-Boogie, Emynd, DJ Beset, Bruk Out, Pickster, Doc Adam, Boyfriend, and Melo! Artwork by Lil Elle.

Download the album or individual songs on the Bandcamp page

https://soundcloud.com/sazonlibre/jon-kwest-sazon-libre-present-soulove-mixed-by-dj-baysik
‼‼?‼‼

walkie,talkie

« Reply #6489 on: January 04, 2017, 09:24:33 pm »
Freedom! '90

The, master.  He deserves, my commas.

vansmack

« Reply #6490 on: January 04, 2017, 09:33:54 pm »
Freedom! '90

The, master.  He deserves, my commas.

27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6491 on: January 05, 2017, 09:57:55 am »
Bela Lugosi
God head
Industrial Metal for Fitness

hutch

« Reply #6492 on: January 05, 2017, 11:02:28 am »
Cash

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6493 on: January 06, 2017, 08:45:21 am »
Song Exploder
Metallica
Moth into Flame
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:53:44 am by excontradiction »

hutch

« Reply #6494 on: January 07, 2017, 07:07:00 pm »